U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 07:51 PM

41,203 posts, read 18,619,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
The Mariners as a team had their first sac-fly last night.
The Seattle newspapers ought to start one of those daily box charts, "Mariners vs Hodges."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 07:43 AM

Last night against the Giants the Dodgers had 19 base runners, 11 hits and 7 walks and one reaching on an error.

Kershaw had a no hitter going until the 6th inning and combined the LA pitchers yielded just seven base runners.

Giants won 2-1. Posey tied it in the 6th with an RBI double and won it with a walk off bomb in the 9th.

Old 05-04-2013, 09:33 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The single season record for sac flies is 19, set by Gil Hodges in 1954.
I don't think they were statistically recognized then, and Hodges would have been charged with an AB for all of them. His SFs were reconstructed later, but his BA was not adjusted from .304 to .314, which seems like a highly specious exercise.

It's a stupid calculation. I wonder how many RBI ground outs to middle infielders Hodges had, which were of exactly equal value.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't think they were statistically recognized then, and Hodges would have been charged with an AB for all of them. His SFs were reconstructed later, but his BA was not adjusted from .304 to .314, which seems like a highly specious exercise.

It's a stupid calculation. I wonder how many RBI ground outs to middle infielders Hodges had, which were of exactly equal value.
I agree that it is not a well reasoned statistical measure. The reason is that it is crediting players for accumulating feats which are accidents, not deliberate actions. If such a thing as ability to hit a flyball on demand exists, it has never been established via research. Why it should be distinguished from any other sort of out which results in a run being scored, eludes me. Why a flyball which allows a runner to score from third should not count against ba, while a runner advancing from second to third on a flyball does get counted, eludes me.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:22 PM

Marco Estrada vs. Jaime Garcia today is the first time two Mexican pitchers have ever started against each other on Cinco de Mayo.

Quote:
I agree that it is not a well reasoned statistical measure. The reason is that it is crediting players for accumulating feats which are accidents, not deliberate actions. If such a thing as ability to hit a flyball on demand exists, it has never been established via research. Why it should be distinguished from any other sort of out which results in a run being scored, eludes me. Why a flyball which allows a runner to score from third should not count against ba, while a runner advancing from second to third on a flyball does get counted, eludes me.
And even worse, if a runner takes third on defensive indifference, and is then driven home by a sac fly, the batter is not charged with an AB.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Marco Estrada vs. Jaime Garcia today is the first time two Mexican pitchers have ever started against each other on Cinco de Mayo.

And even worse, if a runner takes third on defensive indifference, and is then driven home by a sac fly, the batter is not charged with an AB.
I disagree with the entire concept of defensive indifference.

First, I see no logical reason for the indifference. If a team is up 4-1 in the ninth, an opposition runner reaches first, he draws no throw when he steals because his run is unmeaningful unless two more runners score to tie the game.

But....the potential out certainly isn't without meaning. Rerun that situation and change it to the runner getting thrown out. Now the opposition team has only two outs to work with in order to score three runs, that is certainly an advantage for the team with the lead, it reduces by 33 % the number of mistakes the opposition can make and still remain in the game.

If the throw trying to get that runner stealing second goes into the outfield, so what? It does not matter that he scores from first, second or third if he does indeed score.

Further, by stealing in that situation, the opposition team eliminates the easy double play. That double play would certainly have value for the leading team, so why should they be indifferent to a steal?

They shouldn't be....and if they are, that is their doing, not the runner's. I say credit the guy with a stolen base

Old 05-06-2013, 09:58 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,813,314 times
This was not an out.

Odd

Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
I disagree with the entire concept of defensive indifference.
If anybody ever asks you to list the ways a runner can score from third with two out, don't forget to add
'defensive indifference' to the list. Extremely unlikely, but say the runner heads home to try to steal, and there is also two other runners on, and the defense is ahead by only two runs. The pitcher could elect to just hold the ball, rather than delivering a marshmallow to the plate on which the batter could hit a game winning homer. That would be a runner taking home on defensive indifference. Or another reason could be the pitcher's unwillingness to risk a balk or wild pitch that would move the tying run from first to second, so he just backs off and lets the runner score.

But my real quibble with defensive indifference is the arbitrary inclusions and exclusions. Why is an intentional walk charged against a pitcher and credited to a batter, when it is clearly defensive indifference? And if, after a runner goes to second on defensive indifference, the next batter gets an RBI single, he is credited with the RBI, and the run is charged against the pitcher's ERA.

Don't get me started on the silly rules of baseball, that add absolutely nothing to the game except a spurious complexity.

Old 05-08-2013, 10:49 PM

12,204 posts, read 10,441,159 times
The A's Adam Rosales is robbed of an obvious HR by the umpire crew in Cleveland, who still disallow it despite checking instant replay. The ump who made the call? Well, Angel Hernandez of course.
Blown call exposes flawed umpiring human element - MLB News | FOX Sports on MSN

Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,813,314 times
It appears that Mike Scioscia will protest today's game.

In the top of the 7th innings Astro's pitcher Paul Clemens walked Chris Ianetta to put 2 runners on base. The Astros brought in Wesley Wright who did not face a hitter before he was replaced by Hector Ambriz.

The rules state that a pitcher must face at least one hitter after being announced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball