U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 11:54 AM

3,265 posts, read 5,784,563 times

Advertisements

Interesting article today from Jack Moore on SOE.

Will we see a left-handed catcher this season? | SportsonEarth.com : Jack Moore Article

Quote:
In the ninth inning of a May 14, 1989, game between Pittsburgh and Atlanta, the Pirates moved Benny Distefano from first base to catcher as part of a double switch. In doing so, they did something that no major league team had done in more than nine years and no team has done since DiStefano caught his final game as a Pirate on Aug. 18 of that year: they put a left-handed thrower behind the plate in a major league game.

Twenty-four years later, there's a chance we could see it again. The Milwaukee Brewers named Logan Schafer, a left-handed reserve outfielder most famous for starting a triple play on a ball that bounced off the top of his head, as their emergency catcher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 AM

26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
I wonder if disefano used a left handed thrower's catchers mitt. They must be pretty rare. I wonder if there was one lying around or something.

Amazon.com: Easton Game Ready Youth Series Baseball Catchers Mitt - 31.5in - Left Hand Throw: Sports & Outdoors

Old 04-09-2013, 12:04 PM

3,265 posts, read 5,784,563 times
One interesting thought a commenter on SOE had for explaining the lack of left-handed catchers was that for 2nd base-stealers, their throws to second would tail away toward the SS side of the bag, away from the runner while a right-handed catcher's throw to second would tail away toward the runner. When discussing dWAR and stolen bases %s, I think this explanation makes more sense than some of the ones given by old-baseball honks, including Tony La Russa.

Old 04-09-2013, 01:52 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
At least nine times out of ten, a designated "emergency catcher" never gets into a game all season. At least half the time, he's already been used as a pinch hitter, even before you run out of catchers. I wonder if the Cardinals ever considered using closer Jason Motte, who was a minor league catcher.

I think I'd be inclined to steal third a lot against a left-handed catcher, who'd have to snap the ball to third, instead of throwing across his body. It would be like a lefty second-baseman trying to turn a DP pivot.

A lefty might just choose not to use a catcher's mitt - there is no rule that he has to. When Omar Vizquel filled in at first a couple years ago after a million years as a shortstop, he took one throw with a borrowed first-baseman's trapper, and threw it in the dugout and put on his infield glove. Vizquel took 7 throws at first in an 8-inning career there, plus four innings in the outfield without catching a ball.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-09-2013 at 02:03 PM..

Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM

156 posts, read 281,155 times
Left-handed catchers mitts are not that rare, I've seen them at sporting good store. I imagine the market for them is coaches who are lefty and want to warm up the pitcher.

I don't know if stealing third could be exploited that much - it's such an easy throw from home compared to 2nd.

No way that a big leaguer would not use a catcher's mitt.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,736,770 times
As a youngster, left-hand thrower Babe Ruth was the regular catcher for the orphanage team, reportedly because his robust size enabled him to easily block baserunners attempting to score.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:59 AM

239 posts, read 475,266 times
It is easier/more natural fpr a right handed catcher to throw to 2nd base or throw to 3rd base.

The only place a left handed catcher would have the advantage is throwing to 1st base and that only would help in short bunts as not many base runners trying to steal 1st base ( sasrc)

Old 04-10-2013, 07:22 AM

239 posts, read 475,266 times
There is a reason we don't see many left handed 2b,ss,or 3b.

Could you imagine a left handed 2b completing the double play on a short-2nd-1st double play ?

Old 04-15-2013, 11:47 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,033,800 times
My sons a lefty with cannon for an arm.
Playing All-stars Coach put him in to catch one time.Most awkward looking thing ever.He throw out a kid stealing second to third

Old 04-15-2013, 09:32 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,684,219 times
My son is a lefty catcher. The mitts he has used had to be purchased online. I haven't found any store that carries lefty mitts. As he enters high school I don't know if they will keep playing him there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or