U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,863,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Long time Dodger fan here. Went to my first game at Dodger Stadium around 1970. I used to go a lot in the 1980s when it was cheap and I only had to pay for me. Now I have a family of six and going to a game is too expensive. We live a lot closer to the Angels too.

I went to high school with Vin Scully's late son Mike.

Biggest disappointment was the stadium looking so commercialized. Back in the 1970s and 1980s there were only two 76 balls on the scoreboards and two on the infield scoreboards. That's it.

The reason being is because Union Oil helped finance the construction of Dodger Stadium. The agreement was that the 76 logo was to be the only form of advertisement visible from the playing field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 01:41 PM

Yasiel Puig is going to be a bonifide superstar!! Did anyone see the throw he made from the warning track to first base for the final out in last nights game against the Padres at Dodger Stadium? Never mind the fact he went 2 for 4 at the plate in his major league debut.

I think the Dodger may have to consider trading Andre Ethier to make room for him.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:37 AM

3,742 posts, read 7,097,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Yasiel Puig is going to be a bonifide superstar!! Did anyone see the throw he made from the warning track to first base for the final out in last nights game against the Padres at Dodger Stadium? Never mind the fact he went 2 for 4 at the plate in his major league debut.

I think the Dodger may have to consider trading Andre Ethier to make room for him.
. . . and has a couple more amazing days since. In Spring Training, no one really thought Puig could keep hitting like he was. Now he's doing the same thing. Surely he won't hit like this for the rest of the season, but it is fun now. (But wait - that's what we said during ST.)

I'd like to see Kemp healthy and playing better before they trade Ethier. Neither is hitting as well as he should, and I'd hate to see the wrong one go.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
. . . and has a couple more amazing days since. In Spring Training, no one really thought Puig could keep hitting like he was. Now he's doing the same thing. Surely he won't hit like this for the rest of the season, but it is fun now. (But wait - that's what we said during ST.)

I'd like to see Kemp healthy and playing better before they trade Ethier. Neither is hitting as well as he should, and I'd hate to see the wrong one go.
Kemp has the better upside, he is faster, the better arm, and has more power. Kemp will return to his old self soon.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:38 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,617,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Puig looks like the real deal. His start reminds me of DiMaggio's in 1936.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,473,311 times
Dodgers' infield of the 1970s had a lasting impact - latimes.com

Good article in LA Times about Dodgers infield of the 70's

Old 07-21-2013, 02:46 PM

68,684 posts, read 78,692,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
I think it’s about damn time this thread got started this year. Especially considering the fact that we have one of the most, if not the most, loyal fan base in baseball.
Especially now, a few days after the brawl in San Diego leaving Greinke out for 4-6 weeks with a fractured collar bone.

My observations on this.
It sucks to see Greinke on the DL so early in the season. Especially considering the fact that it looked like he was on a start to a great year. He and Kershaw as our 1-2 would be, and will be phenomenal.
But I think the media may be blowing the impact of this injury waaay out of proportion. In fact, it could be argued that it may be a blessing in disguise if we remain in the playoff chase throughout the time he is on the DL. The fractured collar bone is on his opposite shoulder. This 4-6 weeks will be treated almost as rest time so when he comes back he will be fresh. Of course you have to consider the fact that this period of time could be used for him to establish himself and his game in the rotation. We’ll see.

I think our bats are now starting to get it together, but there is still a lot of work to do. I hope this doesn’t turn out to be a terrible year for Kemp. We are badly missing Hanley Ramirez in my opinion. I think he was one of the crucial players that brought together our lineup last year and thought that Kemp was playing a lot better when Ramirez was batting behind him. Will be great when Ramirez actually comes back and starts putting in work.

Crawford has been a great addition to our club and I can see him performing well in the playoffs.

I think we need to let go of Cruz. Thank god the new ownership is not shy about spending the big bucks, and would like to see us pick someone big in his place.

The renovations to Dodger stadium have been awesome. The ballpark feels and looks like everything was done for the fans.
Not only do we have a loyal fan base, but who would have thought, just a month ago, that our boys would be about to move into first place..????

Old 07-21-2013, 02:49 PM

68,684 posts, read 78,692,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Dodgers' infield of the 1970s had a lasting impact - latimes.com

Good article in LA Times about Dodgers infield of the 70's
We were still living in the L>A. area in the 70s and boy how I remember those days? I also remember the 50s, right after they came to Los Angeles. We used to get tickets to the games (hubby was a sports writer for a small daily in Los Angeles) I had tickets to a World Series game the day I went into labor with our oldest daughter. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I couldn't find anyone to go to the game with me. I know, sounds unbelievable but it happened.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM

2,350 posts, read 4,214,239 times
Don't look now, but guess who is in first place?

Dodgers top off epic run with 14-5 rout of Toronto, take first in West - latimes.com

Old 07-23-2013, 10:54 AM

20,207 posts, read 37,543,980 times
Bravo Dodgers! for making it into first place, a great run and a great story.

They were one of my "faves" growing up in Baltimore in the 1950s. My little league team was the Dodgers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball