U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 09:26 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,235,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
I just read this post after I wrote mine, I am glad I am not the only one who sees it. I don't care as long as we win!!
I think Wood is actually injured.

He probably wouldn't go on the DL if it was 15 days. But, to miss one start isn't that big of a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 06:09 AM

71,957 posts, read 83,625,334 times
Let's go positive and celebrate Kershaw last night: 14 strikeouts, in 7 innings, even though he didn't get the win. They are now back in first place and he helped get them there. Also look at how many players the team did strike out in the 12 innings.

Cheer to Kershaw and cheers to our Dodgers. Way to go guys, what a last few weeks you have had.

Old 06-07-2017, 10:45 PM

6,541 posts, read 4,492,339 times
So, hopefully the Dodgers fans can read into what the hell Dave Roberts was doing with Kershaw. As a Nationals fan I was beyond perplexed and even wrote a paragraph thread on this in the Nats thread. For those that missed Wednesday's game here's the cliff notes version:

Dodgers are up 2-1 in the 7th (after scoring 2 runs with 2 outs in the 6th to take the lead). With 2 outs, Kershaw steps up to the plate with the plate and bats for himself even though Pedro Baez was warming up in the bullpen (and really only Rockies, Giants, D'Backs, and Nationals fans wanted to see Baez instead of Kershaw on the mound in the 8th inning, LOL). He was only at 95 pitches even though he had an unKershawlike 3 walks and only 9 strikeouts (but the more walks and less strikeouts probably cancelled each other out with regards to pitches thrown). So, I had no problem with Kershaw batting for himself, especially with 2 outs, when statistically speaking, not a lot of scoring rally's start with 2 outs (even though the Dodgers 2 runs did), and I figured he'd pitch the 8th, probably wouldn't be more than 15-20 pitches, and than Jansen would come in for the 9th, especially when he hasn't been used in a while with the 5 losses in 7 games, and if he did run into trouble (2 base hits, a walk and a hit, etc) than you bring Jansen on. Well come to my surprise when we come back from the commercial break, look who's pitching for the Dodgers?? None other than Pedro Baez! Which brings up my question: if you are taking him (Kershaw) out, why the hell are you letting him bat for himself in the previous half inning. I only have 2 explanations for why Roberts let him back and then lifted him for Baez, neither of which makes sense, and 1 in which it makes Roberts out to be really bad.

Scenario 1: Kershaw told Roberts his arm was going to fall off if he threw 1 more pitch in this game. Seems entirely unlikely as it seems Roberts would protect his teams MVP, plus you are more likely to be more injured standing in the batters box than on the mound anyways.
Scenario 2: The more likely scenario, but it makes Roberts out to look like a big buffoon. He forgot the score and or inning, and didn't want to quote-in-quote "waste" a pinch hitter with 2 outs in case the game went to 16+ innings when statistically speaking 2 out scoring rally's aren't likely to happen, especially with the pitcher's spot coming up. I don't think Roberts forgot the inning as he brought in Baez to start, but it's possible he forgot the score, and that's why it makes him out to look like a dummy. He's a manager, he's supposed to be on top of these things. And isn't that why they have bench coaches too, so the manager can verify with them in case they might have forgotten a situation or score?? And even if he thought it was 1-1, he certainly should have (I would hope) remembered when the Dodgers scored.....it was just 1 inning prior, and they scored 2 runs after 2 outs had already been recorded in the inning.

Whatever the reason, it was very odd and I'm still struggling to find a reason why Roberts let his star pitcher bat in the 7th inning of a 2-1 game (when you've lost 5 of 7 and in 7 of the last 8 games you have scored 2 runs or less) and than immediately take him out before he throws a single pitch in the top half of the 8th

Old 06-08-2017, 01:04 PM

1,404 posts, read 2,151,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So, hopefully the Dodgers fans can read into what the hell Dave Roberts was doing with Kershaw. As a Nationals fan I was beyond perplexed and even wrote a paragraph thread on this in the Nats thread. For those that missed Wednesday's game here's the cliff notes version:

Dodgers are up 2-1 in the 7th (after scoring 2 runs with 2 outs in the 6th to take the lead). With 2 outs, Kershaw steps up to the plate with the plate and bats for himself even though Pedro Baez was warming up in the bullpen (and really only Rockies, Giants, D'Backs, and Nationals fans wanted to see Baez instead of Kershaw on the mound in the 8th inning, LOL). He was only at 95 pitches even though he had an unKershawlike 3 walks and only 9 strikeouts (but the more walks and less strikeouts probably cancelled each other out with regards to pitches thrown). So, I had no problem with Kershaw batting for himself, especially with 2 outs, when statistically speaking, not a lot of scoring rally's start with 2 outs (even though the Dodgers 2 runs did), and I figured he'd pitch the 8th, probably wouldn't be more than 15-20 pitches, and than Jansen would come in for the 9th, especially when he hasn't been used in a while with the 5 losses in 7 games, and if he did run into trouble (2 base hits, a walk and a hit, etc) than you bring Jansen on. Well come to my surprise when we come back from the commercial break, look who's pitching for the Dodgers?? None other than Pedro Baez! Which brings up my question: if you are taking him (Kershaw) out, why the hell are you letting him bat for himself in the previous half inning. I only have 2 explanations for why Roberts let him back and then lifted him for Baez, neither of which makes sense, and 1 in which it makes Roberts out to be really bad.

Scenario 1: Kershaw told Roberts his arm was going to fall off if he threw 1 more pitch in this game. Seems entirely unlikely as it seems Roberts would protect his teams MVP, plus you are more likely to be more injured standing in the batters box than on the mound anyways.
Scenario 2: The more likely scenario, but it makes Roberts out to look like a big buffoon. He forgot the score and or inning, and didn't want to quote-in-quote "waste" a pinch hitter with 2 outs in case the game went to 16+ innings when statistically speaking 2 out scoring rally's aren't likely to happen, especially with the pitcher's spot coming up. I don't think Roberts forgot the inning as he brought in Baez to start, but it's possible he forgot the score, and that's why it makes him out to look like a dummy. He's a manager, he's supposed to be on top of these things. And isn't that why they have bench coaches too, so the manager can verify with them in case they might have forgotten a situation or score?? And even if he thought it was 1-1, he certainly should have (I would hope) remembered when the Dodgers scored.....it was just 1 inning prior, and they scored 2 runs after 2 outs had already been recorded in the inning.

Whatever the reason, it was very odd and I'm still struggling to find a reason why Roberts let his star pitcher bat in the 7th inning of a 2-1 game (when you've lost 5 of 7 and in 7 of the last 8 games you have scored 2 runs or less) and than immediately take him out before he throws a single pitch in the top half of the 8th
Well, you did say that you were a Nats fan.

DR changed his mind. Ruffled CK's feathers a bit, but no news here.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

to me it doesn't make any difference why; the fact remains, Kershaw got the win and struck 9. When I thin of Kewshaw I think about the old Kofax days, no not style, but we just assume now like we did then, if he pitches they will win and he will strike out 1 or more per inning.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 PM

4,322 posts, read 2,258,928 times
Dodgers are traveling to Cleveland to take on the Tribe in a three game series.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:59 PM

3,934 posts, read 7,521,862 times
Justin Turner is hitting .399. Not enough at-bats to be listed with the leaders, but pretty impressive.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:03 PM

28,488 posts, read 15,441,696 times
Winning 20 out of the last 24 has them almost catching the Astros.

Unlike the Astros who are coasting in their division, 60% of the NL West is playing very well. There is no room to pat themselves on the back.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Winning 20 out of the last 24 has them almost catching the Astros.

Unlike the Astros who are coasting in their division, 60% of the NL West is playing very well. There is no room to pat themselves on the back.
and now they have passed the Astros, even if it is only for a few days. Time will tell. And look at all the other thing the Dodgers have accomplished so far. So many wins before the all star break; Kershaw's wins, and on and on. I think we can almost start celebrating!! Of course I am only kidding, no we can not celebrate anything but we can continue watching them win and perhaps run away with the championship. We might even see a World Series team for the first time in 29 years.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:36 PM

46,856 posts, read 37,027,875 times
I know this may be way early, but an Astros-Dodgers World Series is something to think about. The two teams have had a great rivalry down through the years in Houston's previous life as members of the National League. If both of them keep playing like they're playing, it'd be a killer Fall Classic scenario, especially when the games are in L.A.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball