U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 10:35 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,089,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
As amazing as this run has been you cant lose sight that this season will ultimately be judged by what happens in the post season. With that said the regular season has been epic and a treat to watch.

Agreed. A lot can happen in a 5 game series. Makes it even more important to stay focused because this will be the 5th straight year in the playoffs with the previous 4 ending in failure. So unless they win it all IMO the season was a failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 11:28 AM

141 posts, read 93,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Agreed. A lot can happen in a 5 game series. Makes it even more important to stay focused because this will be the 5th straight year in the playoffs with the previous 4 ending in failure. So unless they win it all IMO the season was a failure.
You really can't categorize those other seasons with this one. This season's version is much different with the most obvious their 79-32 current record. As you alluded there are no guarantees in post season. But if they play anything like this amazing run a World Series trophy is within their grasp.

Old 08-07-2017, 01:47 PM

41,022 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
But if they play anything like this amazing run a World Series trophy is within their grasp.
If they play in the post season like they are playing now, they should easily sweep to the WS title. That they will play as described is the question. The WS trophy is actually within the grasp of any team which makes the post season, as most vividly illustrated by the 2006 Cardinals who won 83 regular season games and the WS title.

What is encouraging for LA's post season prospects is that to lose the Division Series requires dropping three games out of five. You would have to go all the way back to June 6th, when LA dropped three in a row, to find a point in the schedule where the Dodgers have lost three out of five games. For two consecutive months now, the Dodgers have won every five game series they have played, if you break down the schedule into any sets of five games that you wish.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:01 PM

141 posts, read 93,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If they play in the post season like they are playing now, they should easily sweep to the WS title. That they will play as described is the question. The WS trophy is actually within the grasp of any team which makes the post season, as most vividly illustrated by the 2006 Cardinals who won 83 regular season games and the WS title.

What is encouraging for LA's post season prospects is that to lose the Division Series requires dropping three games out of five. You would have to go all the way back to June 6th, when LA dropped three in a row, to find a point in the schedule where the Dodgers have lost three out of five games. For two consecutive months now, the Dodgers have won every five game series they have played, if you break down the schedule into any sets of five games that you wish.
The chemistry of this team has been very magical somewhat reminiscent of Golden State's sudden success a couple of years ago. They don't have a player or two that they depend on to carry them, but rather they're devouring opponents by committee if you will. To illustrate since Kershaw's injury the Dodgers are 11-1.

I just think that if the Dodgers get this hot in postseason, the odds are in their favor IMHO thus a mightier grasp on a world championship than the rest of the field.

"That they will play as described is the question" A valid question and we can only speculate on that. With that said I don't necessarily think they need to play this well in postseason to win a title, especially with solid pitching performances and timely hitting, a break here and there. They certainly have the talent. If they focus on their strengths and what has got them to this point they should be fine.

Old 08-07-2017, 06:23 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,237,126 times
The Dodgers are the team most likely to win the World Series
The Dodgers are more likely to lose in the playoff than win the World Series

In baseball, more so than in any other sport, the best team does not always win.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:26 AM

Quote:
You really can't categorize those other seasons with this one. This season's version is much different with the most obvious their 79-32 current record. As you alluded there are no guarantees in post season. But if they play anything like this amazing run a World Series trophy is within their grasp.
Oh I agree 100% this team is much more special and better than the previous 4. Especially the 13,14, and 15 team.

Old 08-08-2017, 08:16 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,417,408 times
I'm a longtime Braves fan. I must admit- LA has a terrific team. The Braves were terrific during the regular season for many years, but terrible chokers in the playoffs. That's why I don't put much premium on regular season results. I don't care for the Nationals, and am more than sick of the media shoving the Cubs down our throats- so I wish you guys well this year.

Old 08-08-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I'm a longtime Braves fan. I must admit- LA has a terrific team. The Braves were terrific during the regular season for many years, but terrible chokers in the playoffs. That's why I don't put much premium on regular season results. I don't care for the Nationals, and am more than sick of the media shoving the Cubs down our throats- so I wish you guys well this year.

Always surprising to me that you had Glavine, Smoltz & Maddux and only came away with 1 World Series title.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:44 PM

3,576 posts, read 1,237,126 times
Quote:
As so often happens, people look at information and come to the exact opposite conclusion that the facts would dictate.

The Braves were dominant for a decade. What they did in a few games in a specific month is irrelevant.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:51 PM

41,022 posts, read 18,583,829 times
Quote:
I'm a longtime Braves fan. I must admit- LA has a terrific team. The Braves were terrific during the regular season for many years, but terrible chokers in the playoffs. That's why I don't put much premium on regular season results.
The greater the sample size, the more accurate will be the numbers. The Braves were a great team which wasn't especially lucky in the post season. Five or seven game series are insufficient for the difference between a 100 win, and a 90 win club to be manifest.

Consider: A .617 team (100-62) would in theory win 4.3 games in a seven game series. A .555 team (90-72) would in theory win 3.8. Less than a full game difference. So suppose we continue the series and make it best five out of nine? The .617 team wins 5.5 games, the .555 wins 4.9. Still less than a full game. How about 15 games? The .617 wins 9.2, the .555 team 8.3. Almost there.

A 17 games series at last produces a full one game advantage for the .617 team, 10.4 to 9.4. Until these teams played 17 games, the .617 team could not have been considered the favorite. And at 17 games, it is just a one game favorite, as in prevailing 9 games to 8.

That is how small the difference between the two teams actually is.

Quote:
and am more than sick of the media shoving the Cubs down our throats
Ah, the price of success. As I anticipated, winning has shattered the long sustained lovable losers image of the Cubs. They are no longer losers, but they also seem to have become less lovable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball