U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 06:17 PM

141 posts, read 93,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
It was an excellent game.

My first time at Chase Field, very nice ballpark, lots of concessions but wow are they pricey as in $13.50 for a 24-ounce can of beer.

Can someone tell me why the AZ fans boo the daylights out of Yasiel Puig?
His swagger which is driven by emotion really riles opponents and or fans. You may recall the Bumgarner "Don't look at me" incident last year.

Personally I think its cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 06:40 AM

448 posts, read 421,262 times
Long time logging in but hope to have the time to put in my own two cents on this Dodgers club that has been blazing.

Darvish looked good last night, not great. Granted he did pitch against a DBacks team that seems to be loaded. His spot on the playoff rotation is solidifying itself as something like: Kersha, Wood, Darvish or Hill. Meanwhile, Ryu and Maeda are going to have to battle for possibly a long man spot. Either ways, its nice to know that they can be relied on for possibly 2 or more innings if we get into an offensive battle.

Joc Pederson needs something. It seems like for every game he shows up his presence is gone for another 3 games or so. This is not a good sign for the playoffs. When AGon comes back we may want to put him back on 1st, Belli at LF, Taylor at CF and Puig at RF. I guess that depends on how well AGon bats and if Belli at LF somehow slows his offensive input.

Speaking of Taylor, what a blessing it has been for him to rise up in such a manner.

Homefield advantage all the way into WS is looking like a certainty at this point. That is, assuming they make it.
It's great to be talking playoffs so early in the season.

Last edited by latino_esq; 08-11-2017 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: add

Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,083,160 times
^^ Pederson I agree about Pederson. Gotta wonder if he runs the risk of not making the playoffs if Agon can be Agon or even close.

If it wasn't for Pederson defense I doubt he is even on the 25 man roster this year. Had a lot of hopes for this guy but after the 2nd half of his rookie season he's really went down hill.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
So what do you want for the rest of the year?

LAD continuing this torrid pace with the hope they can sustain it through the playoffs?

-or-

LAD hitting a slump at the end of August and hope they can pull it back together again before the playoffs begin?
Just maintain the same approach for each game and let things play out. If there's a slump then be it. You certainly don't want to get sloppy. The main focus now is to be healthy and strong for postseason.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:54 PM

448 posts, read 421,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
^^ Pederson I agree about Pederson. Gotta wonder if he runs the risk of not making the playoffs if Agon can be Agon or even close.

If it wasn't for Pederson defense I doubt he is even on the 25 man roster this year. Had a lot of hopes for this guy but after the 2nd half of his rookie season he's really went down hill.
He's just not clicking. It's gotta be all mental for Pederson. That or he doesn't have the heart to be, day-in and day-out, a solid player.

Well AGon will be back after completing his Rancho assignment. Should be maybe 4 more games. If he can keep his play above .250 that's already an improvement over Pederson. There's no messing around come playoff time and I certainly hope the Dodgers don't keep him in the roster over a brief chance that he can turn it up. AGon can make clutch hits in the playoffs.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
He's just not clicking. It's gotta be all mental for Pederson. That or he doesn't have the heart to be, day-in and day-out, a solid player.

Well AGon will be back after completing his Rancho assignment. Should be maybe 4 more games. If he can keep his play above .250 that's already an improvement over Pederson. There's no messing around come playoff time and I certainly hope the Dodgers don't keep him in the roster over a brief chance that he can turn it up. AGon can make clutch hits in the playoffs.

Age may be creeping up on AGon, he's 35 now and his home run numbers are down the last two years. Down 10 in 2015-2016 and only one in 165 at bats this year. It's a good thing the Dodgers have somebody already in mind to be the heir apparent.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
Age may be creeping up on AGon, he's 35 now and his home run numbers are down the last two years. Down 10 in 2015-2016 and only one in 165 at bats this year. It's a good thing the Dodgers have somebody already in mind to be the heir apparent.

Dodgers have to be taking AGON's horrible base running speed into consideration too. The guy is terribly slow. Any other player would have been safe in that playoff game a couple years ago.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:53 AM

3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latino_esq View Post
He is a solid player
He was a 3.5 WAR player last season with a batting line 30% better than league average.

This year, and he's struggled, he's still made outs less often than the average hitter, and hit for more power than the average hitter.

Quote:
If he can keep his play above .250 that's already an improvement over Pederson.
Joc and A-Gone were basically identical hitters in 2015/2016
Joc: .349 OBP
A-Gone: .350 OBP

Joc: .226 ISO
A-Gone: 177 ISO

Joc: .346 wOBA
A-Gone: .344 wOBA

Joc hits for more power and walks more
Adrian hits more singles.

ETA:
Preemptively ending the walk vs hit argument

Yes, hits are more valuable than walks - that's accounted for in wOBA

But that hits are more valuable than walks doesn't mean walks have no value.
You'll never convince me that Puig's 9 pitch walk wasn't instrumental in the Dodgers' win yesterday.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 08-13-2017 at 09:03 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Dodgers have to be taking AGON's horrible base running speed into consideration too. The guy is terribly slow. Any other player would have been safe in that playoff game a couple years ago.
AGon was one of the main reasons the Dodgers won those divisional titles, certainly a fan favorite, unfortunately father time seems to have caught up. His seven year deal which runs through 2018 averages about 22 million.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJohnnyGo View Post
AGon was one of the main reasons the Dodgers won those divisional titles, certainly a fan favorite, unfortunately father time seems to have caught up. His seven year deal which runs through 2018 averages about 22 million.
I agree 100% about him being a huge factor in those division titles. Will be interesting to see if he's with the Dodgers the entire 2018 season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball