U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2017, 10:43 AM

71,920 posts, read 83,566,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I agree. Nobody who knows baseball could expect them to keep playing .700 ball through September. I don't think anybody really expected that. But there is a big difference in playing .700 and .100

Hopefully they can win at least 2 out of 4 against Colorado.
I am still in a state of shock, but have to think they will get it together, hopefully tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM

2,008 posts, read 2,011,202 times
My hope is that they kinda sandbagging and are not placing winning the priority right now, more of getting the players right for the upcoming playoffs.

Old 09-08-2017, 02:15 PM

2,215 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Just going by what the team has stated. The goal was to acquire a LH reliever (they picked up two, but one is a reclamation project) and a SP to slot in behind CK. They do not want to start CK on short rest again.

In the NLDS, if CK pitched on Friday and again on Tuesday, that would only be three days' rest, which the team wants to avoid. However, if Yu is still having problems they may have no choice.
I'd love not to see Kershaw go game 4. But if it's an elimination game you gotta know they are going to pitch him. Same thing happened last year against the Nationals. Urias could have pitched game 4 in LA but they chose to go with Kershaw. Then brought him back to close game 5.

Imagine trying to answer to everybody that the Dodgers got beat in 4 games in the divisional series & Kershaw didn't pitch game 4. ESPECIALLY after the collapse that is going on right now.

Old 09-08-2017, 05:46 PM

40,823 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Yu Darvish tries to end the skid tonight for LA.

In his career, Darvish has given up one home run for every 8.9 innings pitched. With the Rangers this season that grew to one home run for every 6.8 innings pitched, and since coming to LA, it has inflated to one home run every 4.3 innings pitched.

Checking him out on Fangraphs we find that his velocity is the same as it always has been, and he is having about as luck neutral a 2017 season as possible. His career BABIP is .290, this season it has been .290. The defense behind him has been league neutral, Darvish has a 4.08 ERA, and a fielding independent ERA of 4.09. He is walking batters at about the same rate he always has, but his strikeouts have been declining, 11.8 per nine innings in 2016, but down to 10.1 in 2017.

Darvish is the same pitcher he was in 2016, if you take two strikeouts per game and replace them with one home run.

Old 09-08-2017, 06:55 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,149,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Yu Darvish tries to end the skid tonight for LA.

In his career, Darvish has given up one home run for every 8.9 innings pitched. With the Rangers this season that grew to one home run for every 6.8 innings pitched, and since coming to LA, it has inflated to one home run every 4.3 innings pitched.

Checking him out on Fangraphs we find that his velocity is the same as it always has been, and he is having about as luck neutral a 2017 season as possible. His career BABIP is .290, this season it has been .290. The defense behind him has been league neutral, Darvish has a 4.08 ERA, and a fielding independent ERA of 4.09. He is walking batters at about the same rate he always has, but his strikeouts have been declining, 11.8 per nine innings in 2016, but down to 10.1 in 2017.

Darvish is the same pitcher he was in 2016, if you take two strikeouts per game and replace them with one home run.
His ERA of 6.16 over his last four starts is very troubling. Honey has been working with him but Yu is having trouble getting his head around the changes. He says that it's not a head problem, but a muscle memory problem. He also throws too many pitches, and isn't going deep enough in his starts. The BP is wearing out already. Maeda will probably provide some long relief help in the playoffs, but Yu still needs to get through at least six innings.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:51 PM

Darvish gave up a solo home run in the first, but was then staked to a 4-1 lead in the bottom of the inning. He ran out of gas in the fifth, gave up four runs and they stood up for a 5-4 Rockies win. LA has now lost 13 of their last 14.

Old 09-09-2017, 08:22 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,183,480 times
This is a serious problem. Limping into the post season, assuming they even make it at this point, is no way to do it. They won't beat Arizona if they face them. Really disappointing to watch. Hopefully they can turn this around.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
My hope is that they kinda sandbagging and are not placing winning the priority right now, more of getting the players right for the upcoming playoffs.
very good possibility. I like that and yes, they could be saving it all or at least for awhile. Better to blow it now and come around when playoff time gets here. Now lets just hope they can get their act together in the next week or so;

Old 09-09-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Darvish gave up a solo home run in the first, but was then staked to a 4-1 lead in the bottom of the inning. He ran out of gas in the fifth, gave up four runs and they stood up for a 5-4 Rockies win. LA has now lost 13 of their last 14.
I hate to break this to you, but I think any Dodger fan reading these boards are aware they have lost 13 or their last 14. Geeze!!!!

Old 09-09-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I hate to break this to you, but I think any Dodger fan reading these boards are aware they have lost 13 or their last 14. Geeze!!!!
Thank you for advising us of your emotional state. That is far more relevant than mentioning the outcome of a game.

And oh....don't smack yourself in the head like that.....you could hurt yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball