U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2017, 11:49 AM

1,407 posts, read 2,153,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Nita, isn't that what they you to say on Brooklyn? "There is always next year."

Now that Darvish is a free agent, will the Dodger try to resign him? How much will his performance hinder his contract expectations?? We will see I guess. What I don't understand is he has great stuff. Oh well.
He does; I read that he has 9 different pitches.

His problem is more in his head than anywhere else. Honeycutt has showed him what he needs to do to be successful - which changes needed to be made to regain his pre-surgery form. Yet Yu has been unable to get his body to perform the dictates of his brain. He said that he needs to develop muscle memory. Whatever. Also, Honeycutt's return is up in the air, so that would be a consideration for Yu.

I don't know the Dodgers' plans, but I don't think that they want or can afford YU, or any other F/A pitcher. They have 4 starters (I'm excluding Ryu, Kazmir, and McCarthy) and several players at AAA that can be promoted.

Speaking of pitchers, pitchers and catchers report to ST in just 3 1/2 months.

GO DODGERS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 11:54 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,700,457 times
Yu was dominant against the Dbacks and Cubs so he definitely has great stuff.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:11 PM

2,220 posts, read 3,089,714 times
I'm not sure if I posted it here or if it was deleted.

As far as Darvish coming back to the Dodgers I sure hope not.

Here's a guy who was only with the ball club since August. Most other players were around since February. To see a guy come over & be a completely disaster when we needed him the most it's hard to swallow.

I don't have any ill feelings towards the guy. He's probably a great guy but I just want his tenure with the Dodgers to be a thing of the past. His inability to pitch even 4 innings in game 3 had a rippling effect for the bullpen that carried over for games 4 & 5. I know we won game 4 but it's like dominos. Game 3 can still effect game 5.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:42 PM

72,027 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
That was just tough to watch, I kept hoping my Dodgers would win. Almost cried after it was over, awful game just awful.
I know it is hard to take, but just look at what they did accomplish? We will do it all next year. I am going along with all those who want to see Darvish find a new home. What a let down he was or is!!!! Still the fact remains we allowed to many base runners to die on base.

Old 11-02-2017, 12:43 PM

18,866 posts, read 13,631,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I'm not sure if I posted it here or if it was deleted.

As far as Darvish coming back to the Dodgers I sure hope not.

Here's a guy who was only with the ball club since August. Most other players were around since February. To see a guy come over & be a completely disaster when we needed him the most it's hard to swallow.

I don't have any ill feelings towards the guy. He's probably a great guy but I just want his tenure with the Dodgers to be a thing of the past. His inability to pitch even 4 innings in game 3 had a rippling effect for the bullpen that carried over for games 4 & 5. I know we won game 4 but it's like dominos. Game 3 can still effect game 5.
Easy to scapegoat Darvish but your bullpen workover started the game before and Darvish just made it worse. Additionally the dodgers had plenty of opportunities in game 7 and simply wasted them and that's not on Darvish either

Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 PM

5,305 posts, read 2,699,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I know it is hard to take, but just look at what they did accomplish? We will do it all next year. I am going along with all those who want to see Darvish find a new home. What a let down he was or is!!!! Still the fact remains we allowed to many base runners to die on base.
You’re not going to win too many games only scoring one run though. Although, there were lots of line outs early with men on base. I knew after someone for the Dodgers lined out early in the game that it wouldn’t be the Dodgers night.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:29 PM

2,286 posts, read 1,512,615 times
It's easy to blame Darvish. He is not alone. The team in general couldn't get any clutch hits. Houston could. Their offense was pretty awesome. But specifically, you can blame Darvish for having 2 horrendous starts. Kershaw for blowing 2 leads in the greatest WS game of all time. We know who he is. Awesome regular season guy, mediocre in the playoffs. Turner, one of the best hitters in the NL, was a complete joke in the series. How about that throw-out at 3rd? Bellinger couldn't have choked harder. 17 strikeouts. Puig was pretty bad, had a clutch HR though. They did manage to keep Verlander from getting a win, though Verlander was still great. Blame it all on Darvish? Sure, if you want. Pretty much the same story as the last 5 years, except they got a little farther this time. Their stars choked, and Kershaw was no exception.

Plus some guys in the bullpen having some truly terrible outings.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Puig looks like the real deal. His start reminds me of DiMaggio's in 1936.
wow you remember DMaggio in 36: damn you must be as old as dirt. I thought I was old!!!!

Old 11-03-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
It's easy to blame Darvish. He is not alone. The team in general couldn't get any clutch hits. Houston could. Their offense was pretty awesome. But specifically, you can blame Darvish for having 2 horrendous starts. Kershaw for blowing 2 leads in the greatest WS game of all time. We know who he is. Awesome regular season guy, mediocre in the playoffs. Turner, one of the best hitters in the NL, was a complete joke in the series. How about that throw-out at 3rd? Bellinger couldn't have choked harder. 17 strikeouts. Puig was pretty bad, had a clutch HR though. They did manage to keep Verlander from getting a win, though Verlander was still great. Blame it all on Darvish? Sure, if you want. Pretty much the same story as the last 5 years, except they got a little farther this time. Their stars choked, and Kershaw was no exception.

Plus some guys in the bullpen having some truly terrible outings.
why are you saying Outings, I would say based on the record the only bad outing or the only one that counted was Wednesday night. Yes, the entire game sucked; pitching, leaving men on base, you name it, but the fact remains, Darvish looked awful. he certainly didn't turn out to be the icing on the cake that was going to assure our boys a world championship.

Old 11-03-2017, 10:18 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,187,388 times
Darvish definitely blew it but he's not alone. The team blew a lot of opportunities to win the series. It happens. A crazy juiced ball didn't help Dodgers pitching. Should they try and sign him? I dunno. The team was solid without him this year. The money might be better spent elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball