U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2017, 12:37 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,035,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
If they wanted roster space, they could have just released these guys. And no matter how delighted you are for Culberson, he's still a lousy player with no real value beyond replacement.
They would have had to eat $52 mil by just releasing those players.

I guess that you didn't see the playoffs, where Culberson hit around .500, and went 3/5 in the WS. Plus, he hit his first Dodger HR in 2 years to win a game in the 10th inning and send the team to the playoffs, and it just happened to be Vinnie's last game.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 12-17-2017 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 01:01 PM

36,186 posts, read 17,192,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
They would have had to eat $52 mil by just releasing those players.

I guess that you didn't see the playoffs, where Culberson hit around .500, and went 3/5 in the WS. Plus, he hit his first Dodger HR in 2 years to win a game in the 10th inning and send the team to the playoffs, and it just happened to be Vinnie's last game.
They assumed an obligation of 43.5 million by taking Kemp, so the actual savings is 8.5 million.

Anyone can come up lucky in a World Series, that is hardly a reason to keep a sub replacement level player on the roster. Culberson is a 28 year old five year veteran, and he has only played in 197 games, that is out of a possible 810 games. He is a career .231/.272/.324 hitter with six career home runs.

Do you understand what replacement level means? It means that Culberson isn't any better than any number of minor league players who could be brought up in his place. No team can afford to carry a sub replacement player on the roster all season just because he might have a good post season series.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
They assumed an obligation of 43.5 million by taking Kemp, so the actual savings is 8.5 million.

Anyone can come up lucky in a World Series, that is hardly a reason to keep a sub replacement level player on the roster. Culberson is a 28 year old five year veteran, and he has only played in 197 games, that is out of a possible 810 games. He is a career .231/.272/.324 hitter with six career home runs.

Do you understand what replacement level means? It means that Culberson isn't any better than any number of minor league players who could be brought up in his place. No team can afford to carry a sub replacement player on the roster all season just because he might have a good post season series.
The savings is slightly more - $9,073,810 - after considering the payment to Atlanta and the money from SD.
Then, some of Kemp's salary will add to that figure when he is traded.

The important number is the $30 mil or so under the luxury tax threshold, which allows the team to pursue another player or to just sit tight in anticipation of making a huge signing next off-season.

As for Culberson, he is/was more to LAD fans than you made him out to be in your original post on this subject. He came up big for the team when the pressure was on, and that HR to end the last game that Vinnie announced was one of my most memorable moments as a baseball fan. Now that he will have an opportunity to play in more than 15-17 games per year, he may improve at the plate.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post

As for Culberson, he is/was more to LAD fans than you made him out to be in your original post on this subject. He came up big for the team when the pressure was on, and that HR to end the last game that Vinnie announced was one of my most memorable moments as a baseball fan. Now that he will have an opportunity to play in more than 15-17 games per year, he may improve at the plate.
I don't evaluate players on the basis of how groovy he made you feel when he finally made a contribution. I would also note that he apparently didn't mean enough to LA to keep him around.

Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
I don't evaluate players on the basis of how groovy he made you feel when he finally made a contribution. I would also note that he apparently didn't mean enough to LA to keep him around.
I get it that you don't think much of this player, and I can't guarantee that an opportunity to play more and home cooking will improve his offensive stats. As for the part of your post that I bolded, he meant a lot to the fans, to the players, and to the front office. He was a great defender when Corey was on the DL, but would be blocked at SS position for many years, so the team sent him back to his home state and favorite team (prior to being signed by the Dodgers), where he would get a chance to play more. The Dodgers are a first class team, and they did right by this player, a first class guy.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:34 AM

3,578 posts, read 1,028,645 times
This was a fantastic trade for the Dodgers

They get themselves $22 million under the competitive balance tax threshold for this season instead of being about $7 million over - which would have resulted in a $3.5 million penalty.

The moves allows them to add players both now and at the trade deadline and, presuming they stay under the threshold, saves them tens of millions of dollars going forward.

As for Culberson, meh. Locastro should be a better player.

Old 03-26-2018, 03:36 PM

1,878 posts, read 1,863,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
This was a fantastic trade for the Dodgers

They get themselves $22 million under the competitive balance tax threshold for this season instead of being about $7 million over - which would have resulted in a $3.5 million penalty.

The moves allows them to add players both now and at the trade deadline and, presuming they stay under the threshold, saves them tens of millions of dollars going forward.

As for Culberson, meh. Locastro should be a better player.

Don't look now, but Matt Kemp had himself a great spring and looks to be the starting left fielder!! So that trade may be even better than originally thought.

Old 03-30-2018, 03:17 PM

16,092 posts, read 20,026,267 times
Am watching "Around The Horn" on ESPN right now, panelist and long time L.A. Times sports columnist Bill Plashke just told a great story. In yesterdays game against S.F. Kirk Gibson came out to throw the first ball and pretty much all the fans not only gave a huge ovation to Gibson but were doing the double fist pump. If ya think back, that's an ultimate tribute to Kirk, who was reported to be battling parkinson's disease. 1988-World Series-Game one-last of the 9th-staring down Dennis Eckersley--whew, what a moment!

Old 03-30-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Am watching "Around The Horn" on ESPN right now, panelist and long time L.A. Times sports columnist Bill Plashke just told a great story. In yesterdays game against S.F. Kirk Gibson came out to throw the first ball and pretty much all the fans not only gave a huge ovation to Gibson but were doing the double fist pump. If ya think back, that's an ultimate tribute to Kirk, who was reported to be battling parkinson's disease. 1988-World Series-Game one-last of the 9th-staring down Dennis Eckersley--whew, what a moment!
I'm an A's fan and I remember it as a rinky tink cheapshot pop fly from Gibson's undoubtedly corked bat that the 40 mph winds carried over the fence.

Actually....I also remember that Eck, who never walked anyone, just before Gibson came to bat, had walked his former teammate, Mike Davis, which is what made the Gibson home run a walk off. Two seasons earlier I caught the only foul ball of my life in an Oakland game...off the bat of Mike Davis.

Old 03-30-2018, 06:32 PM

3,578 posts, read 1,028,645 times
Ladies and gentlemen, Bias - Exhibits A & B

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Quote:
I'm an A's fan and I remember it as a rinky tink cheapshot pop fly from Gibson's undoubtedly corked bat that the 40 mph winds carried over the fence.

Actually....I also remember that Eck, who never walked anyone, just before Gibson came to bat, had walked his former teammate, Mike Davis, which is what made the Gibson home run a walk off. Two seasons earlier I caught the only foul ball of my life in an Oakland game...off the bat of Mike Davis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball