U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-19-2018, 12:59 PM
 
2,213 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Reputation: 1656

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I don't like it. Maybe he will help them win the World Series, maybe he won't. Maybe he'll get some big hits, then allow a key run through poor defense. Either way, after the season he'll sign some huge contract and be gone.



FIVE prospects, and a couple of them actually good?

Do you know anything about these prospects besides Diaz? I wouldn't even consider one of the guys a prospect but I guess he technically is. (Breyvic Valera).



Dodgers still have held onto the two catching prospects they have which are Ruiz & Will Smith.


Verdugo, Mitchell White, Dennis Santanta, DJ Peters, Jeren Kendall, Yadier Alvarez, Dust May (who the O's wanted). Gavin Lux, Edwin Rios, etc.. Etc.. etc.


Go look at mlb.com and just look at their top prospects.


I could see getting upset if it was Diaz & a guy like Gavin Lux or even Verdugo but come on. Can't hold onto all these guys when so much better talent ahead of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2018, 12:34 AM
 
3,932 posts, read 7,516,485 times
Reputation: 4421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Do you know anything about these prospects besides Diaz? I wouldn't even consider one of the guys a prospect but I guess he technically is. (Breyvic Valera).



Dodgers still have held onto the two catching prospects they have which are Ruiz & Will Smith.


Verdugo, Mitchell White, Dennis Santanta, DJ Peters, Jeren Kendall, Yadier Alvarez, Dust May (who the O's wanted). Gavin Lux, Edwin Rios, etc.. Etc.. etc.


Go look at mlb.com and just look at their top prospects.


I could see getting upset if it was Diaz & a guy like Gavin Lux or even Verdugo but come on. Can't hold onto all these guys when so much better talent ahead of them.

I think two of them were in their top 30. They thought enough of one of them to have already spent over $30 million to get him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 06:35 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Do you know anything about these prospects besides Diaz?
Yes
Do you?

In hope your argument isn't going to be, "I've never heard of these guys so how good can they be". Your ignorance doesn't Trump my knowledge


Quote:
Go look at mlb.com and just look at their top prospects.
I'm positive that I know more about them than what is in MLB.com



Quote:
I could see getting upset if it was Diaz & a guy like Gavin Lux or even Verdugo but come on. Can't hold onto all these guys when so much better talent ahead of them.
It is a getting to be a bit like talking to a wall.

Because I have a $100 bill in my pocket doesn't mean that the 20 $1 dollar bills in my pocket are worth less than $20
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:06 AM
 
2,213 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Reputation: 1656
CBeisbol

You act like you know everything. Considering I've heard countless people who are probably experts on this subject that seem to agree with the main concepts I'm going over I think you should step back a little and show some respect.

Do you work in this business? Because I'm willing to bet you're somebody that sits behind a keyboard acting like you know everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:13 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
CBeisbol

You act like you know everything. Considering I've heard countless people who are probably experts on this subject that seem to agree with the main concepts I'm going over I think you should step back a little and show some respect.

Do you work in this business? Because I'm willing to bet you're somebody that sits behind a keyboard acting like you know everything.
I acquiesce. People who are "probably experts" have either informed your opinion or you agree with them.

How have you decided these people are probably experts?

To whom am I not showing the proper respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:19 AM
 
2,213 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Reputation: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I acquiesce. People who are "probably experts" have either informed your opinion or you agree with them.

How have you decided these people are probably experts?

To whom am I not showing the proper respect?
Well, Jim Callis is probably a lot smarter than most out there & he seems to agree the Orioles were the ones who got the raw end of the deal if any.

How have I considered them experts? Well they do it for a living. Not post on message boards.

And your posts come off as very rude towards me and get off target. You assume you're right & everybody else is wrong.

And please leave politics out of a baseball forum. "Trump" has nothing to do with these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Well, Jim Callis is probably a lot smarter than most out there & he seems to agree the Orioles were the ones who got the raw end of the deal if any.
He "seems to agree"?
What were Callis' exact comments on the deal?
Has he said that this is the best deal the Dodgers could have made with those prospects.

Again, it's clear from your comments that you're not even understanding what I'm saying,

My problem isn't that the Dodgers gave up too much for Machado.
I'm not certain that Machado represents enough of an upgrade to have given up what they did.

If the Dodgers didn't have Turner, Taylor and Muncy then my feelings on the trade would be different. But they have those guys.

It's possible that the Orioles could have gotten the raw end of the deal AND the Dodgers didn't make the best use of their prospects.

Imagine a guy with a car worth $2000. He sells it for $1000.
He got the raw end of the deal.

Imagine the guy who bought the car already has a car but not a washing machine. Spending his $1000 on a car and not getting a washing machine might not have been the best use of his money. Even though he got a great deal on the car.

My opinion is it's a similar situation with the Dodgers. I think what they gave up for Machado was fine. I don't think Machado was the right deal.



Quote:
How have I considered them experts? Well they do it for a living. Not post on message boards.
Is it then your opinion that everyone who "does it for a living" knows more than everyone who doesn't?



Quote:
And your posts come off as very rude towards me and get off target. You assume you're right & everybody else is wrong.
Are you posting assuming you are wrong and everyone else is right?



Quote:
And please leave politics out of a baseball forum. "Trump" has nothing to do with these posts.
LOL
Blame that on autocorrect. I used "trump" as a verb, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:48 AM
 
2,213 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Reputation: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
He "seems to agree"?
What were Callis' exact comments on the deal?
Has he said that this is the best deal the Dodgers could have made with those prospects.

Again, it's clear from your comments that you're not even understanding what I'm saying,

My problem isn't that the Dodgers gave up too much for Machado.
I'm not certain that Machado represents enough of an upgrade to have given up what they did.

If the Dodgers didn't have Turner, Taylor and Muncy then my feelings on the trade would be different. But they have those guys.

It's possible that the Orioles could have gotten the raw end of the deal AND the Dodgers didn't make the best use of their prospects.

Imagine a guy with a car worth $2000. He sells it for $1000.
He got the raw end of the deal.

Imagine the guy who bought the car already has a car but not a washing machine. Spending his $1000 on a car and not getting a washing machine might not have been the best use of his money. Even though he got a great deal on the car.

My opinion is it's a similar situation with the Dodgers. I think what they gave up for Machado was fine. I don't think Machado was the right deal.




Is it then your opinion that everyone who "does it for a living" knows more than everyone who doesn't?




Are you posting assuming you are wrong and everyone else is right?




LOL
Blame that on autocorrect. I used "trump" as a verb, nothing more.
You're very intelligent when it comes to baseball. I can tell. More than myself. And I do like #'s and looking at analytical views but I'm still learning.

So since I do think you are very knowledgeable with baseball let me ask you this.

I know why you think giving up those prospects is not worth what we gave up because the need for Machado is not great enough (i.e as much as pitching I assume)

But what do you think of this. How do you measure the value of this trade not because of what we gained from a 25 man roster view but the fact that we kept the Diamondbacks, Philies, or Brewers from getting Machado. Because adding Machado to the Diamondbacks would probably help them. And while going to the Brewers or Phillies would probably only affect us come playoffs. But I think not having to face Machado in a line up on the Phillies or Brewers is a good for us should we face them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 07:56 AM
 
3,576 posts, read 1,234,228 times
Reputation: 3732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
You're very intelligent when it comes to baseball. I can tell. More than myself. And I do like #'s and looking at analytical views but I'm still learning.

So since I do think you are very knowledgeable with baseball let me ask you this.

I know why you think giving up those prospects is not worth what we gave up because the need for Machado is not great enough (i.e as much as pitching I assume)

But what do you think of this. How do you measure the value of this trade not because of what we gained from a 25 man roster view but the fact that we kept the Diamondbacks, Philies, or Brewers from getting Machado. Because adding Machado to the Diamondbacks would probably help them. And while going to the Brewers or Phillies would probably only affect us come playoffs. But I think not having to face Machado in a line up on the Phillies or Brewers is a good for us should we face them.
I said this earlier
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Maybe the team doesn't expect Turner to rebound; wrists are notoriously slow to heal.

They might also benefit from keeping Machado away from Arizona,
Machado is a huge upgrade over Ahmed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2018, 08:17 AM
 
2,213 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Reputation: 1656
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
I said this earlier


Machado is a huge upgrade over Ahmed.
Okay I remember reading about the wrist statement you made.

But what about a value for this scenario? I'm asking a serious question because like I said you do think analytically unlike most fans I encounter.

What value could you use for a situation like this knowing that our chances increase to making the playoffs by keeping Arizona further down in the % of them winning the division. At what point do you decide that giving up a low level prospect (guess that would depend on what you consider low level) just to ensure a team like Arizona doesn't get him.

JD Martinez really changed the atmosphere for them last year & I could see Machado doing a lot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top