U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2014, 10:03 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,697,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
After last nights game with Pittsburgh where again the bullpen walked in a run, the Dodgers need help with their middle relief pitching. We need somone to take the game into the hands of Kenley Jansen.
The LAD bullpen does indeed suck.

Brian Wilson $10.0
Brandon League $8.0
JP Howell $5.5
Kenley Jansen $4.3
Chris Perez $2.3
Jamey Wright $1.8
Paul Maholm $1.5

That's a $35.4 million bullpen.

The prevailing sentiment among many MLB players and managers is that it's getting harder to face bullpens than starters because bullpens are so often populated by young guys who throw heat. Certainly not the case with the Dodgers.

Interesting that among this group, only Jansen, the most successful of the bunch, is a homegrown LAD project. The rest are mostly overpaid stiffs on their career downside. The bullpen is one Jonathan Papelbon short of costing more than the entire Astros or Marlins payroll.

Some GMs just shouldn't be trusted with a buttload of money.

My advice - start developing your own relievers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:11 PM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
Watching the Dodgers on MLB Extra Innings, does anyone know who the Mafia looking guy who always wears a suit and sits in the front row behind home plate is? He's at every game.

Old 08-10-2014, 12:28 AM

2,214 posts, read 3,083,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Watching the Dodgers on MLB Extra Innings, does anyone know who the Mafia looking guy who always wears a suit and sits in the front row behind home plate is? He's at every game.

Mike Brito – The Man with the Midas Touch | Think Blue LA

Mike Brito

Old 08-12-2014, 11:31 AM

Just wanted to let my fellow Dodger fans here know I finally got to visit Dodger Stadium last week. I went to 4 games at Dodgers Stadium and drove down to Anaheim for the Wednesday win against the Angels.

My first game at Dodgers Stadium resulted in a Hanley Ramirez walk off HR. Pretty amazing. Had to sit through some rain to see it happen. Thought it didn't rain there!

Overall I liked the stadium a lot. Classic look to it and most of the employees there were very friendly.

Def is different how you can walk from your car to the top deck without taking stairs yet you'd have to take quite a few if you enter through the OF. I noticed this when we did the stadium tour which is def worth the money.

Only thing I didn't like about the stadium and I know it's because of the age is that it doesn't seem like a lot of rest rooms there and takes away to get to higher levels. I roamed around the stadium on a Sunday and wanted to get to the top deck and it just took a lot of time to get up there. Might have been because I wasn't used to the lay out but I do think I heard how they only have limited access because of only a few ways up there.

Also enjoyed the city life. I hope to go back again in the next 2-3 years. Being in VA it's not a cheap trip but just takes some saving. I probably wont go to a Dodgers game every day like I did this time as I'd like to enjoy some night life and hit up the beaches for a full day but it is awesome how you can take the Dodgers Express Bus to the stadium and back to Union Station for free!

Old 10-07-2014, 02:59 PM

20,896 posts, read 39,157,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Just got back from a trip to L.A. and made it a point to see the Dodgers host the Giants on Sunday, 15 Sept.

Loved the experience of Dodger stadium; the fans were great, the Dodger dogs were good, traffic around the ballpark was goofy but it is what it is. We sat in Section 5FD, Row W; under cover and out of the sun which was really hot that day. Good seats, just to the left of home plate and about 25 rows back.

The Giants won, but it was an exciting game; bottom of the 9th, down by a run, 2 out, bases loaded, and Puig comes in to pinch hit .... but he hit a dribbler to shortstop, fielder's choice at second, end of game. Rats. Earlier in the game Adrian Gonzalez knocked in 3 runs with a double and later in the game the Giants intentionally walked him twice to avoid pitching to him with runner(s) on base - the fans booed lustily and I don't blame them. Giants player Pence hit two home runs in the game, giving them the win. IMO the ump was calling some low pitches as strikes on Dodger batters.

But I'd go back to Dodger stadium any time.

EDIT: Tix were $115.00 plus $8.90 service charge x 2; prepaid parking was $30.00 plus $3.75 service charge x1; order processing fee was $5.10 and the grand total was $286.65 for two folks to see the game. That's not cheap but it was still a fun day for the wife and I.

Just gotta post the link to this article....no thread on the Dodgers is complete without this ode to Dodger Dogs.

My wife loves both the Dodgers and the Dodger Dogs! We're rooting for them to win today.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-07-2014, 09:23 PM

11,079 posts, read 12,458,603 times
And my beloved Dodgers are out. Well there's always next year.

Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 PM

Frustrating end of the season.

I feel bad for Kershaw because he has pretty much been beaten by the Cardinals 3 straight times. Twice in the series. Cardinals beat the best regular season pitcher twice so they def earned their advancement.

But Kershaw did pitch well today. He cruised through 6 innings striking out 9 while only given up 1 hit. Then a base hit off Gordons glove and Hanleys glove puts two on. 2 inches closer those are probably both outs, at leats Hanleys.

Then curve ball just happened to get into the zone and Matt Adams probably hit the biggest home run he'll ever hit.

Bottom line is Kershaw probably shouldn't have been in the game after the two hits but a bad bullpen put Mattingly in a position to try and get him through the 7th.

So in 2015 we'll go through another 162 game season and maybe one day get to the World Series again and maybe even win it.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:57 AM

14,330 posts, read 19,534,754 times
Default Surprising

I'm a Giants fan, and I honestly thought the Dodgers were going to make serious run. Very surprising that they went out and didn't make it at least to the NLCS. Fans must be scratching their heads because this team seemed loaded, just like the Nats.

Oh well, it was an exciting season, something to build on for next year. No reason to get down on this team IMO. At least you're not the Cubs.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:43 AM

6,534 posts, read 4,486,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Frustrating end of the season.

I feel bad for Kershaw because he has pretty much been beaten by the Cardinals 3 straight times. Twice in the series. Cardinals beat the best regular season pitcher twice so they def earned their advancement.

But Kershaw did pitch well today. He cruised through 6 innings striking out 9 while only given up 1 hit. Then a base hit off Gordons glove and Hanleys glove puts two on. 2 inches closer those are probably both outs, at leats Hanleys.

Then curve ball just happened to get into the zone and Matt Adams probably hit the biggest home run he'll ever hit.

Bottom line is Kershaw probably shouldn't have been in the game after the two hits but a bad bullpen put Mattingly in a position to try and get him through the 7th.

So in 2015 we'll go through another 162 game season and maybe one day get to the World Series again and maybe even win it.
Same thing with me as a Nats fan

Old 10-08-2014, 06:37 AM

5,178 posts, read 3,895,648 times
Ha ha Dodgers lost. As a long suffering A's fan I am so happy for you

Maybe someday we can meet again and maybe we A's fans can kick your bunwahs, the way we should done in that last meeting.

PS Even my mother knew you dont pitch to Jack Clark. Didnt follow the Card-Dodgers playoff this year, but I'm sure you folks did something stupid.

Sorry. As a Nor Cal resident, I hate everything So Cal, including your sports teams. I guess that makes me irrational.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball