U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2019, 03:34 PM

18,864 posts, read 7,336,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Dodgers winning the NL West should be the easiest lock in baseball this year.

In every other division, you could make a legitimate case for at least 2 teams winning the division, in the NL West I can't make an argument for the other 4 teams. With that said however....I don't think the Dodgers will wind up with the largest lead at seasons end....largely because they'll have the division won by the end of April, so they'll put it on cruise control.
Maybe the other 4 should be allowed to pool their talent, make it LAD vs "the field"!

LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 06:41 PM

301 posts, read 64,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Dodgers winning the NL West should be the easiest lock in baseball this year.

In every other division, you could make a legitimate case for at least 2 teams winning the division, in the NL West I can't make an argument for the other 4 teams. With that said however....I don't think the Dodgers will wind up with the largest lead at seasons end....largely because they'll have the division won by the end of April, so they'll put it on cruise control.
AL Central?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Maybe the other 4 should be allowed to pool their talent, make it LAD vs "the field"!

LOL!
I looked at this earlier in the off season, thinking the same thing

Using Steamer projections and only the 8 starting positions, a 5 man rotation, and a closer, the NL West Field was projected to win 2 more games than the Dodgers.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:17 PM

18,864 posts, read 7,336,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
AL Central?

Using Steamer projections and only the 8 starting positions, a 5 man rotation, and a closer, the NL West Field was projected to win 2 more games than the Dodgers.
NL Wes is LAD & a bad set of teams.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:24 PM

301 posts, read 64,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritualBaseball View Post
AL Central?

I think this was pre-Goldschmidt-to-the-Cardinals, but also pre-Machado-to-the-Padres

Old 03-17-2019, 10:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 12,467,812 times
Watched my first Dodgers spring game the other day against the Reds. I was shocked to see Kemp and Puig traded to Cincinnati. Hate to see Kemp traded, again.

Old 03-29-2019, 03:59 PM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,098 times
Another year of not being able to watch the Dodgers on TV. It's a shame that my son who lives on the East Coast can see more Dodger games on TV than I can and I live in the Dodger market.

But we won with a opening day record of 8 homeruns!

Old 03-29-2019, 06:12 PM

40,896 posts, read 18,562,052 times
I'm reading "The Big Chair", former Dodger GM Ned Colletti's memoirs. I'm about a third of the way through and it hasn't been very compelling. He seems the sort who owes his success to a willingness to work hard, and a great gift for being able to get along with a wide array of people. He isn't unintelligent, but he doesn't come across as a deep or imaginative thinker.

He took over the "Big Chair" just as the McCourts, and then the new ownership group with Magic Johnson, made an enormous amount of money available to spend on the roster. When you look at Colletti's approach to team building, it appears that the main strategy was to sign a bunch of over 30 free agents to short term contracts and hope that there was something left in the tank while overpaying for the group. He signed Nomar Garrciaparra, Kenny Lofton, Greg Maddox, Juan Pierre, Luis Gonzalez, Manny Ramirz, Juan Uribe, all on the down slopes of their careers. Little wonder that Zaidi wasted no time bumping him upstairs once he took over.

Throughout the book Colletti firmly establishes himself as rooted in old time conventional wisdom and he definitely had not gotten with the metric advances. He writes about pitcher wins and RBI and saves and so forth, as though the value of such things hasn't been brought into question.

Just left with the feeling that I'm being given a sales job by a second rate thinker. I suspect that public relations is Colletti's greatest talent.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM

Swept the Rockies this weekend WOO HOO!!!!!!! Dodgers are looking great!

Old 04-08-2019, 11:32 AM

2,011 posts, read 2,012,098 times
The Dodgers are looking really good, this could be a special year. Maybe even the year that finally brings us back a World Series!! I am old enough to remember the titles in 81 and 88. Been way too long since our last one!!

Go Dodgers!!

Old 04-08-2019, 12:26 PM

Even the ESPN morons last night said good things about the Dodgers. Amazing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball