U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM

42,071 posts, read 18,831,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Not to get off topic to much but what year did you feel like you stopped following?
I was already in California, but I followed the Marino teams and it was probably around the time of his retirement that I stopped paying much attention.

I was still a loyal Dolphin fan as late as 1985 when Miami played the 49ers in the Superbowl. I was working in a law office in San Francisco and covered the bets of all the 49er fans, I lost $84 in total. Later that year I recall getting a big charge out of the Dolphins inflicting the only defeat on the Superbowl bound Bears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:38 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,039,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Woohoo! Great series with the Rocks... Three game sweep! All three won by walk off home runs.... by rookies!
Matt Beaty game one, Alex Verdugo two game 2 and Will Smith game three. I may have been witness to something that will never be repeated in MLB again. I am hoarse from yelling and cheering and practically deaf from the fans around me. Being on the DBS! Lol

You did witness something that may have never be done ever again!! I know someone too who was at all three games!!!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM

The Dodgers are an excellent illustration of the dynamic I reported on in my "The Next Revolution" thread. They are not just exercising superior evaluation of players, they are taking players and making them better.

Three examples stand out right away. Justin Turner had a .696 OPS in his four seasons as a Met, since coming to LA it has been .880.

Max Muncy had a .611 OPS with Oakland and was a negative defensive WAR player at third or in the outfield. Since arriving in LA his OPS has been .950 and he has 0.6 defensive WAR playing second, a tougher position.

David Freese had a .783 OPS with the Cardinals, a .758 OPS with the Pirates and a .723 OPS with the Angels. As a Dodger it has been 1.032.

What is remarkable about these improvements is that they all have taken place in veteran players, not rookies who needed a tweak, but older guys who reinvented their swings and repurposed their training.

It depresses me to think how far the Giants will have to go to play catch up in this area. San Francisco was among the last holdouts to old traditions and conventional wisdom. That will of course change with Farhan Zaidi, but he can't really get started until after Bochy is gone and takes his staffers with him.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:50 PM

3,986 posts, read 7,604,772 times
Amazing that so many thought the Dodgers needed Harper. They don't even have anywhere to put Pollock when/if he returns.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:02 PM

2,254 posts, read 3,130,334 times
So how did Tony gonsolin? pitch today. I saw early in the game and looked like in the beginning he had bad luck. A bunt on a 2 strike count with the infield shifted over. Then an error on Joc Pederson didn't help.

I don't think it's a big deal we lost because I know the FO is already probably trying things out in preparation of the playoffs I.e. Joc at first. Maybe he was the only person they could put there at that time? But kinda think they should've had a better defense ready for a rookie pitcher on the mound. Gotta wonder how things would've been different if Joc doesn't make that error.

Old 06-28-2019, 09:41 AM

11,175 posts, read 12,646,487 times
12 runs last night against the Rockies, home of the WORST tv announcers ever. Hope the Dodgers sweep the Rockies this weekend.

Old 07-03-2019, 12:08 AM

7,186 posts, read 4,003,164 times
Default OMG! ( gosh ) come back kids for the win!

Went to the Dodgers/DBs game. Dodgers down to their last strike bottom of the 9th, down 4-3.
DB pitcher walks 3 batters in a row. Bases loaded, New pitcher. He walks in the tying run. Bellenger up, bases loaded, full count.. walks! Dodgers win 5-4 on a walk off.... walk!
The crowd went insane!
Another first for me. Ive never seen three walk off wins in a row for the sweep ( all by rookies) and have never seen 5 walks in a row for the win.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:16 AM

72,627 posts, read 84,521,082 times
It seems like they will find a way to win, no matter what. They just keeping moving further ahead each week. Lets hope this continues in the second 1/2 of the season. Maybe this time we will actually see a World Series win for them. It has been way to long

Old 07-22-2019, 12:52 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,039,378 times
This is the year, my gut is telling me we are going to win it all!! Ryu will win Cy Young, and Cody will win MVP!! It will be a magical year at Chavez Ravine!!

Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
This is the year, my gut is telling me we are going to win it all!! Ryu will win Cy Young, and Cody will win MVP!! It will be a magical year at Chavez Ravine!!
It took the Brooklyn Dodgers six tries before they beat the Yankees in a World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball