U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-07-2019, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
42,376 posts, read 18,886,160 times
Reputation: 19024

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The Dodgers are performing the way they should, according to their team salary. They are the #4 spenders, and they are in the top 4 teams, skill wise. There's a very strong correlation between money spent and wins. It's not absolute, but it's strong nonetheless.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/payroll/
A good illustration of the inequality....The Rays total team payroll is $62,988,298. The Yankees are paying $78,544,895 just to the guys who are on their injured reserve list.

Having lots of money doesn't make you good, you have to be smart about how it is spent, and the Dodgers have only recently gotten smart. The teams under the McCourts were big spenders and the club was mediocre during that period. The Giants have the 5th largest payroll this season and are a sub .500 team, as they were last year when their payroll ranked them third. The Angels and Mets also don't have much of a return on their big spending.

Now however I would rank the Dodgers as the third most metric oriented team in baseball, behind Houston and Tampa Bay. When smarts are combined with lots of $, good things happen for the club and good things have been happening for LA as a consequence. The Giants waited far too long to finally get with the metric revolution and the Dodgers may probably enjoy several more years of SF being an inconsequential rival until Zaidi is able to clear out the old debris and build a winner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2019, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Venice, FL
2,756 posts, read 1,032,463 times
Reputation: 1962
Most teams with a lot of money to spend are very good. Most teams with very little money to spend, and not very good. Yes, there are exceptions, but the $ to wins correlation is very strong.

A smart team with a lot of money will beat a dumb team with a lot of money, no doubt.

I just wish we could balance the money spent out in some way. Maybe for every $5 Million you spend over the average, you start the season with 1 loss. Handicap it like golf. If this was done, the Rays would have the best record in MLB by far. They'd have 1st place with home field advantage already wrapped up.

The Dodgers spent $63M over the average, so they start the season with 12 losses.

What they are doing now isn't working for most baseball fans. Look at the declining attendence figures. The TV camera's hardly ever show a wide angle shot of stadium seats anymore unless the park is nearly full, which doesn't happen much during the regular season.

I went to a Tampa Bay Rays day game and bought special promotion tickets for $3/ea.. The place was still nearly empty, and the Rays are in contention for a wild card and the Rays have the 2nd best pitching staff in MLB next to the Dodgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:42 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,656 posts, read 4,600,251 times
Reputation: 2521
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm sure that the Dodgers' fans are confident and should be this year but who do you think would give LA the most trouble in the playoffs if they were to meet?
Nationals and Braves in that order.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 07:08 AM
 
Location: The 203
208 posts, read 38,428 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
I'm sure that the Dodgers' fans are confident and should be this year but who do you think would give LA the most trouble in the playoffs if they were to meet?
Only the Braves. Nats are perennial playoff chokers like the Dodgers are to the World Series.
Stros or Yanks will be popping champagne in LA, game 4 or 5 this October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
42,376 posts, read 18,886,160 times
Reputation: 19024
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post

I just wish we could balance the money spent out in some way. Maybe for every $5 Million you spend over the average, you start the season with 1 loss. Handicap it like golf. If this was done, the Rays would have the best record in MLB by far. They'd have 1st place with home field advantage already wrapped up.

The Dodgers spent $63M over the average, so they start the season with 12 losses.

.
So you would just cancel 12 games and assign them losses? All the revenue from those 12 games gone for both the team you are punishing and the teams that would have been the opponents in those 12 games?

I can envision the disputes which would arise. Some player on your team has a bonus clause in his contract if he plays in at least 152 games, then 12 of them get canceled so it becomes impossible for him to play in 152 games. The MLBPA files a grievance claiming fraud since it was the club's fault that they only played 150 games.

This idea won't work, you can't cancel half a game, such doings will impact both clubs, the one you are punishing and an innocent bystander club.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Western Colorado
11,201 posts, read 12,678,707 times
Reputation: 26577
Glad to see them shut out the Giants yesterday. Too bad they couldn't clinch at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Venice, FL
2,756 posts, read 1,032,463 times
Reputation: 1962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
So you would just cancel 12 games and assign them losses? All the revenue from those 12 games gone for both the team you are punishing and the teams that would have been the opponents in those 12 games?

I can envision the disputes which would arise. Some player on your team has a bonus clause in his contract if he plays in at least 152 games, then 12 of them get canceled so it becomes impossible for him to play in 152 games. The MLBPA files a grievance claiming fraud since it was the club's fault that they only played 150 games.

This idea won't work, you can't cancel half a game, such doings will impact both clubs, the one you are punishing and an innocent bystander club.
Still play 162 games, but Dodgers start out the season at 0-12. The season standing's might be based upon 175 games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,748 posts, read 84,689,865 times
Reputation: 42742
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Glad to see them shut out the Giants yesterday. Too bad they couldn't clinch at home.
Thinking the same thing, but more than that I am just praying they can get over their metal attitude about winning after season games. There is no reason they should not win the whole thing this season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
42,376 posts, read 18,886,160 times
Reputation: 19024
Bit of an oddity....in the past two seasons the Dodgers have been involved in five games where the score was 1-0. They have lost all five of those games and four of the five losses were to the San Francisco Giants. SF won two in 2018 (the first two games of the year) and two this season. The other 1-0 game was a 2018 loss to the Brewers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica, Ca
7,276 posts, read 4,040,523 times
Reputation: 17604
DODGERS WIN THE WEST! Woohooo!

Glad we won before the DB’s lost to the Mets today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top