Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2017, 07:15 PM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times

Advertisements

Yes, the Dodgers always put him in games 1 and 4, which is stupid IMO. Pushes him way too much. Either way, he's got 2 quality starts for the NLCS to give. I see no reason to push him to short rest when it's not necessary. The only really necessary time for it is when San Francisco needs to pull a Bumgarner in game 7, which was awesome.

Putting him in on short rest should be an emergency situation only. Even if they're down 2-1 and he wins game 4, what happens in game 5?

Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Kershaw go in games 1 and 4, but I think it's a poor decision. I would not want to fall to the 2 seed though. The 2 scariest teams for them on the NL side will be Chicago and Arizona (in some order).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 06:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Fortunately for the first scenario it's highly unlikely that happens. because to see the Dodgers win 13 games the rest of the season IMO highly unlikely too.

In fact depending on what happens in the next week they might not get to 100 wins. They have a tough schedule ahead & also just teams that would love to give the Dodgers a hard time. I.e. Padres & Giants.
I don't think it is unlikely at all for them to get 100 wins. A lot of teams, most of them would love to give them a hard time, but they are tough and I still have little doubt they will hit 100 games. No one could expect them to continue the pace they were on until 2 weeks ago. As for how often any pitchers pitch, I can remember further back than many of you: it was't unusual to see a good pitcher throw every 3 nights or 4. Most teams only had a 4 many rotation, so when it got down to the end of the season we saw a lot of that. We also saw relief pitcher pitch just about every day and when a good one didn't it was because the starter went 9 inning, not 6 like so many do today.

Last edited by nmnita; 09-07-2017 at 06:33 AM..

Old 09-07-2017, 06:44 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,691,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarog View Post
Yes, the Dodgers always put him in games 1 and 4, which is stupid IMO. Pushes him way too much. Either way, he's got 2 quality starts for the NLCS to give. I see no reason to push him to short rest when it's not necessary. The only really necessary time for it is when San Francisco needs to pull a Bumgarner in game 7, which was awesome.

Putting him in on short rest should be an emergency situation only. Even if they're down 2-1 and he wins game 4, what happens in game 5?

Anyway, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Kershaw go in games 1 and 4, but I think it's a poor decision. I would not want to fall to the 2 seed though. The 2 scariest teams for them on the NL side will be Chicago and Arizona (in some order).

It's funny. I actually would be agreeing with your statement about who goes game 5? And when I said the same thing you did to so many Dodgers fans I got the same response. You can't worry about a game 5 until you get there.

I kinda agree now. Plus they will be home for a game 5 if necessary. Like I said I think your chances are better with Kershaw on the road in game 4 than another pitcher.

He actually hasn't pitched bad with short rest. I don't know the #'s but he's been a difference maker. Granted it probably worn him out against the Cubs in game 6 last year but I have a feeling the Cubs were going to win that series anyway.

Old 09-07-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't think it is unlikely at all for them to get 100 wins. A lot of teams, most of them would love to give them a hard time, but they are tough and I still have little doubt they will hit 100 games. No one could expect them to continue the pace they were on until 2 weeks ago. As for how often any pitchers pitch, I can remember further back than many of you: it was't unusual to see a good pitcher throw every 3 nights or 4. Most teams only had a 4 many rotation, so when it got down to the end of the season we saw a lot of that. We also saw relief pitcher pitch just about every day and when a good one didn't it was because the starter went 9 inning, not 6 like so many do today.
I agree. Nobody who knows baseball could expect them to keep playing .700 ball through September. I don't think anybody really expected that. But there is a big difference in playing .700 and .100

Hopefully they can win at least 2 out of 4 against Colorado.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:

The Dodgers will use four SP in the playoffs. That was the point of acquiring Darvish.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:15 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
They have now lost 12 of their last 13 games, the clubhouse atmosphere must be really tense. And it hasn't just been bad luck, they are getting blown out in a lot of these games. In the 13 games their opponents have scored 74 runs to the Dodgers 28, or an average game score of 5.2 to 2.2.

And yesterday it was Clayton Kershaw, the man they were counting on to stop the losing streak, getting chased after three and two thirds innings.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:12 AM

2,286 posts, read 2,006,686 times
Now they're only 6 games ahead of Washington. It is time to panic.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Now they're only 6 games ahead of Washington. It is time to panic.
That weekend series next week will be big.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
The Dodgers will use four SP in the playoffs. That was the point of acquiring Darvish.
Maybe in the NLCS & WS but most they use in the divisional series is 3. No way they let anybody other than Kershaw go game 4 if they are down 2-1. And even if they are up 2-1 I doubt they let anybody go. As seen the last two years.

Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM

1,658 posts, read 2,694,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Maybe in the NLCS & WS but most they use in the divisional series is 3. No way they let anybody other than Kershaw go game 4 if they are down 2-1. And even if they are up 2-1 I doubt they let anybody go. As seen the last two years.
Just going by what the team has stated. The goal was to acquire a LH reliever (they picked up two, but one is a reclamation project) and a SP to slot in behind CK. They do not want to start CK on short rest again.

In the NLDS, if CK pitched on Friday and again on Tuesday, that would only be three days' rest, which the team wants to avoid. However, if Yu is still having problems they may have no choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball