Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 05:41 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,987,897 times

Advertisements

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...y_26653231&v=3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 PM

Yasiel Puig, Los Angeles Dodgers' top prospect, arrested after traffic stop - ESPN Los Angeles

Quote:
LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Dodgers' top prospect, outfielder Yasiel Puig, was arrested early Sunday in Chattanooga, Tenn., and charged with speeding, reckless driving and driving without proof of insurance, according to a booking report from the Hamilton County Sherriff's office.
Apparently Puig is viewed as prone to behavioral problems by the Dodger organization.

Quote:
He impressed the Dodgers and the rest of baseball by batting .517 with three home runs and 11 RBIs in spring training. When they sent him down shortly before Opening Day, they said he needed to mature. According to a report on MLB.com, Puig was removed from a game earlier this season because of an undisclosed mental mistake.

"I heard a guy say one time, you feed babies baby food. You don't give them steak when they are six months old," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said of Puig earlier this month. "Let him learn his lessons where they should be learned."
At the time I had been taking "needed to mature" to be a reference to the need to hone his baseball skills to bring them up to ML standards. Looks like the Dodgers had something else in mind.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:33 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,624,591 times
Phils seem to be heating up.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:42 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,624,591 times
Apparently not. HAHA

Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM

13,290 posts, read 15,237,612 times
People really question whether Adrian Beltre is a future Hall of Famer?

*http://i.imgur.com/Pvm01sp.gif

Old 05-07-2013, 07:51 PM

And this happened to JA Happ.

*http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7377/8...1ae0a0a6_o.gif

I continue to support protective headwear for pitchers

Old 05-07-2013, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
And this happened to JA Happ.

I continue to support protective headwear for pitchers
Jennings was given a triple on the play and I'm guessing he now leads the league in triples off pitcher's heads.

There is a Rule 5.10 which states that an umpire may declare a play dead “when an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire."

It wasn't applied in this situation, I wonder what the criteria for it is.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Jennings was given a triple on the play and I'm guessing he now leads the league in triples off pitcher's heads.

There is a Rule 5.10 which states that an umpire may declare a play dead “when an accident incapacitates a player or an umpire."

It wasn't applied in this situation, I wonder what the criteria for it is.
I almost commented on that.

It doesn't seem appropriate that Happ is laying there on the ground as Jennings is running the bases. Players' health should take precedent over the game.

On a lighter note:
This amused me.
GIF-story: Ron Gardenhire vs. Aaron Hicks - CBSSports.com

Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,063,523 times
Horrific butchering of instant replay last night in the Indians vs A's game where Adam Rosales ties the ballgame with a home run to left in the 9th inning only to have the umpires declare even after watching it on replay that it was a double.

Adam Rosales robbed of home run after umpires blow instant replay (Video) | Larry Brown Sports

The umps apparently need lessons in geometry. If a ball deflects off a bar, its trajectory will change. That bar, of course, sat well above the yellow line.

Annoying.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,642,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I almost commented on that.

It doesn't seem appropriate that Happ is laying there on the ground as Jennings is running the bases. Players' health should take precedent over the game.
Note that the rule states that the umpire MAY. He is not obliged to, and it is a judgment call. The intent of the rule is not to protect the lives of players, but to prevent a team from gaining an undeserved advantage of play as a consequence of a player becoming incapacitated. Since there were other fielders alive and conscious who could play the ball, there was no reason for a stoppage. For example, if the third baseman is shot from the stands by a sniper, the umpire can call time to keep a runner from using the opportunity to advance from second to an uncovered third base.

As for players health taking precedent, there is no way that an umpire calling time would have accelerated the emergency medical attention to any player whose life was hanging in the balance. Five or ten seconds is not critical, and the umpire has no medical training that would enable him to have made such a judgment. You can't have umpires calling time for medical emergency every time a player stumbles, "just in case" it might have been a cerebral hemorrhage.

And I do not support protective headwear for pitchers. Why do you think catchers flip off the mask? If a pitcher gets hit in the face, while wearing a helmet, you'll support hockey goalie masks for pitchers. And hockey pads if they suffer a body injury. Get serious. They are not little leaguers, they are adults, and there is no rule preventing them from electing to wear any armor they want, just as hockey goalies, one at a time, started wearing masks of their own volition, starting with Jacques Plante. They've all seen what happened to Happ, and they can lock the barn door any way they like after the fact, which will do nothing to change what has already happened.

Last edited by jtur88; 05-09-2013 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball