U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 AM

20,907 posts, read 39,189,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Rockies get the win today but not before dropping 2 to the hated Dodgers. They stand at 42-44 right now, just 2.5 behind the D-Backs. The Rox travel to Arizona next, so this is a chance to get back on top of things. Meanwhile Tulo took batting practice today, which is a positive sign. The NL West is hotly contended, but I am beginning to think first team to 83 or 84 wins takes it.

I had to grit my teeth these past 3 days....the Dodgers scored 23 runs in 3 games. Even though the Rox scored EIGHT runs on Wednesday night, they still lost 10-8 as Rex Brothers gave up TWO solo home runs in the top of the 9th. Scoring 8 runs and still losing just sucks.

Betancourt is back off of the DL, and pitched the 9th. First batter he faced hit a home run, so it's good the Rox had a 5-run lead. Next batter singled. Then the next 3 batters all flied out by hitting deep fly balls that just missed being home runs.

Unless something in this division changes, I don't think any team has a good chance to reach 90 wins, and your prediction that a team with 83 or 84 wins taking the Div is probably spot-on.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 05:18 PM

10,682 posts, read 11,090,025 times
That sweep by the DBacks was some of the worst ball the Rox have played all season. They went down without a fight all three games. Horrible point for the Rox this season. I hope they can turn it around after the break. At this point I hope they don't quit on the season before the break. I really don't want to see them fall out of contention and then the front office deal away big contracts.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:55 PM

Agree. If I were a country music singer I'd be twanging away about how the Rockies life is just plum pitiful these days.

Swept 3 games, out-scored 22-2, gaining only 12 hits in 3 games for a batting average of just .148 during this visit to Phoenix.

Over the past ten games, Rox are 3-7, Giants are 2-8, Padres are 1-9.

Maybe on Monday we can beat up on hapless San Diego....

I had similar thoughts, hoping management won't sell off the good talent like some teams do when down in the dumps.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Rockies managed to squeak by the lowly Padres 2-1 in the 3-game series just finished.

Total scoring was 10-8 Rockies and all 3 games were close.

Rockies are now in 3rd place with a record of 44-48 at .478 and 3.5 games behind the first place AZ Diamondbacks.

Rockies start a 4-game series in Dodger Stadium before the All-Star break. We're 2 games behind the second place Dodgers who are 45-45 and who've won 8 of their last 10 games.

Ideally the Rockies will win 3 of 4 and tie the Dodgers for 2nd place, but that's very optimistic on my part.

Both Dexter Fowler and Troy Tulowitski are back with the team and I hope that sparks a resurgence, though it's unknown if either will play tonight in the series opener.

IMO we need Dexter's glove in Center Field as I think Blackmon blew a catch that went for a 2-run homer in the bottom of the 6th last night. From the replays it looked catchable but Blackmon seemed to be fooled by the fence which he bounced off of and ball looked like it bounced off the top rail of the fence and over the fence. Did anyone get a better view of it? On the good side, Blackmon had 2 RBIs last night, including the game winning run.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Fowler and Tulo are in the lineup tonight. That's a good sign. The Rox could use the boost.

The Rockies never seem to fare well out in Dodgers Stadium and the Dodgers have gotten hot. I just hope the team can avoid a total collapse before the break. I'd consider 2-2 out in LA to be a successful series but would be ecstatic if they did better. Fingers crossed.

Go Rockies!

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-12-2013 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: Merged 2:1

Old 07-13-2013, 12:10 PM

Rockies got 'er done last night, beating one of baseball's best pitchers, Clayton Kershaw and his 1.98 ERA.

Tulo actually drove in the winning run in the first inning with a sac fly.

I note today the Rockies have both scored 423 runs and given up 423 runs. We used to be well into positive territory on that.

The 4-game series is tied at 1-1.

Hopefully the return of Tulo and Dexter will be the emotional lift that restores the team's confidence.

Once again Betancourt came in to pitch the 9th and promptly allowed the leadoff batter (Adrian Gonzalez) to reach base via a single; Gonzalez made it to third on fielder's indifference and a wild pitch. All three outs were fly balls to deep center.

Nicasio got the win he deserved (5-4) and Betancourt got his 14th save. Hopeful signs.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:30 PM

Mike, it seems the pitching is holding steady but in the team's sort of three-week long skid the offense is where the team is failing. Do you agree? If so, I would suggest there is reason for hope going into the late stretches of the season. With a healthy line up of Tulo, Cargo, Fowler and Cuddy, the team is unstoppable at the plate. Add in solid performance by guys like Arenado, and Rosario; and even though he's in the twilight of his career, Helton can still deliver at the plate; and you have a line up that won't stay down forever. If the pitching can hold and the offense rebounds, I like the Rockies' chances in the late summer and early fall.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:57 PM

Agree.

Aren't there some trade deadlines coming up where we could find some pitching help?

Old 07-13-2013, 05:31 PM

I believe so. There have been rumblings the Mets are going to make a play for Cargo. I hope they don't deal him. If the Rox hit a streak coming out of the break and then deal one of their bats off I'll be convinced they're intentionally avoiding success. But they aren't going to get another arm for free, so we'll see what they do.

Old 07-13-2013, 06:31 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,428,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
There have been rumblings the Mets are going to make a play for Cargo. I hope they don't deal him.
Isn't that old news? I can't find anything recent about that (newest I can find is April).

What could the lowly Mets possibly offer the Rockies that would be worth giving up CarGo for? Why would they trade part of their nucleus for god knows what, while they are still are kind of intention for the NL West, while the Mets are not in any sort of contention in their division?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or