U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 02:36 PM

8,113 posts, read 12,682,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, hardcore baseball fans like yourself are going to go to the park regardless. When attracting the casual fan (which is basically the premise of your thread), you need a draw besides the game, which they may or may not win. $25-30 a ticket for ~2.5 hours of entertainment for a game many find boring outside of scoring runs is a tough sell, especially if the team sucks, the "new shine" is gone off the ballpark, and there are many more entertainment options in the given city.
As Milwaukee City mentioned, in many places you don't have to pay $25-30 for a ticket. Cleveland has a good number of tickets available for less than $15 that are not "bad" seats. Beers are $4 (not $10 as JonasW mentioned), and most of the other concessions are pretty reasonable for a ballpark. I don't think prices are keeping people away from Progressive.

Nationals Park is my "local" ballpark and I admit that the prices there keep me from going to as many games as I'd like, but if you take in your own drinks, sandwiches, and snacks, park just a few blocks away, and buy the cheaper seats, and don't buy your little snowflake every souvenir they want to take home, you can keep the price down. People overhype the costs involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 02:57 PM

8,340 posts, read 14,097,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
As Milwaukee City mentioned, in many places you don't have to pay $25-30 for a ticket. Cleveland has a good number of tickets available for less than $15 that are not "bad" seats. Beers are $4 (not $10 as JonasW mentioned), and most of the other concessions are pretty reasonable for a ballpark. I don't think prices are keeping people away from Progressive.

Nationals Park is my "local" ballpark and I admit that the prices there keep me from going to as many games as I'd like, but if you take in your own drinks, sandwiches, and snacks, park just a few blocks away, and buy the cheaper seats, and don't buy your little snowflake every souvenir they want to take home, you can keep the price down. People overhype the costs involved.
Think about this...............the Indiana Pacers had trouble filling Bankers Life Fieldhouse this season, despite being in first place all year. When people on the radio or other means of media were polled on why they did not attend the games, the number one answer by a country mile was cost. This, despite the fact that tickets could be had for under $10 most nights, you can park for $6 and less and be within a block of the area, and the beer generally runs around $6 ($6.50 buys you unlimited soda).

So, I don't think the idea of cost is one that we can discount. Even if it is a perception of cost, it is still a factor in many people's minds. Of course, we live in a country in which 40% of people think Olive Garden is authentic Italian food, so the casual person might need some help understanding and overcoming that mental roadblock about cost.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:04 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,241,442 times
I went to a Royals game once and took a friend in town from Hew York City. We each had a beer at the ball park, and he said "You can't get a beer this cheap anywhere in New York City."

Old 05-28-2013, 05:42 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I went to a Royals game once and took a friend in town from Hew York City. We each had a beer at the ball park, and he said "You can't get a beer this cheap anywhere in New York City."
Boy good think you didn't hit the J button by mistake.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:06 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,983,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
In the 1990s, when the Indians were at the top of the AL, the Indians had a long streak of sellouts. Most games had 3-5k no shows during that period.

By the end of the 1990s, management stopped paying the large salaries and the team started losing quite frequently. After a few years, crowds dropped.

Personally, during the period when good tickets were not available, I started heading to Pittsburgh, Erie, Toledo or Detroit for an occasional game. I could score tickets at a better price. My family ACTUALLY preferred heading to Erie for a picnic at Presque Isle and a night game with the Seawolves.

=============================

When I grew up in Cincinnati, we would see 10+ games a year on average. Back then, tickets and parking were cheap. They also had occasional twilight doubleheaders which were a great deal.

I have been to two major league games in the last five years or so, even though I live in Chicagoland and have access to three venues. I have pretty much lost interest in the product. There are so many other things to do that are better entertainment values.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Boy good think you didn't hit the J button by mistake.
The way you hit the K button by mistake?

Old 05-29-2013, 09:49 PM

Here's a related story that sure flew under the radar.

D-backs to host Ticket Sales & Services Conference this week | dbacks.com: News

Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,567,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The way you hit the K button by mistake?
hahah ooopss!

Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,779,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Think about this...............the Indiana Pacers had trouble filling Bankers Life Fieldhouse this season, despite being in first place all year. When people on the radio or other means of media were polled on why they did not attend the games, the number one answer by a country mile was cost. This, despite the fact that tickets could be had for under $10 most nights, you can park for $6 and less and be within a block of the area, and the beer generally runs around $6 ($6.50 buys you unlimited soda).

So, I don't think the idea of cost is one that we can discount. Even if it is a perception of cost, it is still a factor in many people's minds. Of course, we live in a country in which 40% of people think Olive Garden is authentic Italian food, so the casual person might need some help understanding and overcoming that mental roadblock about cost.
I doubt the issue as cost as much as it is disposable cost. Who wants to head to a park when you can watch it on TV in your own Man Cave on cable/dish you're already paying for?

I have no idea what fuels Milwaukee's economy (just being essentially a far-flung suburb of Chicago may help), but I'm pretty sure it is still terrible in Ohio and I don't know what would be supporting it in Indiana, other the whole, either.

In the case of the Reds or Indians, stinking for so long doesn't help, either.

I haven't been to an Astros game in several years myself. It's not a bad drive in, but there are too many other things to do in town aside from watching bad baseball and an owner who is treating the team like it has a small-market revenue stream. The 30k or so people dressed as empty seats every night who think that cheaping out when Minute Maid Park was built for the revenue while the local Comcast network (set up by the Astros and Rockets that may go down in flames sooner than alter) isn't seen by 60% of Houston seem to agree.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:12 PM

20,902 posts, read 39,174,026 times
Article in yahoo today on attendance, attributing to one team, Miami Marlins, 40% of this season's attendance decline. Marlins average attendance is down from 27k to 18k. I agree that weather has played a role in cutting attendance this year as it's been cold in a lot of places. Early on the Rockies had at least one game snowed-out and the team owner pitched in to help shovel the stuff off the field. The double header the next day was done at freezing temperatures with pitifully low attendance.

My overall response to the article is essentially based on two main areas of discontent; (a) prices, of everything, and (b) the experience itself.

Meanwhile, regardless of the sport or the venue:
- I don't have to pay $35-$350, or more, for a decent seat;
- I can buy a whole six pack of beer for the price of one stadium beer;
- I don't have to stand in lines;
- I can walk 12 steps to an empty, clean, non-smelly restroom;
- I can walk six steps to a fridge for an ice cold beer ($1.25);
- I park in my own garage for free, not $10-30, and no one steals or damages my car;
- I can do other things with the 3 hours it takes for a round trip to Denver venues;
- I don't have to deal with the idiots on the highway;
- I have no risk at all of accidents if I stay home and don't drive;
- I don't have some drunk who's screaming obscenities two rows behind me;
- I don't have any idiots spilling beer on me;
- I don't have my ears assaulted by some yahoo behind me whistling like an air raid siren;
- I don't have to drive home late at night when many drivers are drunk, high, or both;
- I never get rained on;
- I never get sweaty or cold as my house temp is always perfect;
- I can always get a breeze from my ceiling fan;
- I never need to deal with bright sun in my eyes, or get sunburned;
- I get a far better view on my big screen TV than I ever could at a stadium or arena; (IMO this is more of a key issue than some would think)
- I get great instant replays and slo-mo shots, with expert interpretations;
- I can have pals over w/out carpooling, etc;
- I'm not drowned out by the stadium sound system blasting rock music between batters, or between innings. That noise denies me the ability to have a decent conversation with my wife as I try to explain the nuances of play, especially when there are runners on base and lots of strategies are employed and obvious to those who know baseball. I can mute the TV for a moment to explain these things.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or