U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 04:53 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times

Advertisements

Mike from Back East -

I think that you have summed it up well.

One more thing - in most cities these days, there are a ton of other things to do and people have the money to do them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 03:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Reality Check Regarding Downward Trends For 2013 MLB Attendance - Forbes

Old 06-06-2013, 02:15 PM

358 posts, read 591,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
- I'm not drowned out by the stadium sound system blasting rock music between batters, or between innings. That noise denies me the ability to have a decent conversation with my wife as I try to explain the nuances of play, especially when there are runners on base and lots of strategies are employed and obvious to those who know baseball. I can mute the TV for a moment to explain these things.
So true.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:52 PM

40,913 posts, read 18,566,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
- I'm not drowned out by the stadium sound system blasting rock music between batters, or between innings. That noise denies me the ability to have a decent conversation with my wife as I try to explain the nuances of play, especially when there are runners on base and lots of strategies are employed and obvious to those who know baseball. I can mute the TV for a moment to explain these things.
In that case do not ever go anywhere near the Single A stadium in San Jose, home of the Giants affiliate there. Their loud speaker system is the sort one would associate with the announcement of the Apocalypse. Throughout the game fans are bombarded by this brain atomizing noise which makes any sort of normal conversation impossible.

Your list is very much reflective of my current attitude toward going to the park vs watching it on tv. At home I know for certain that there isn't going to be some restless five year old who devotes his ballpark experience to continuously kicking the back of my seat and whining at concert pitch when Dad says no more cotton candy. There isn't going to be some drunk one section over who believes that the crowd has turned out to listen to him scream idiotic and childish cliches at the opposition players. There isn't going to be the fan sitting in front of me who is wearing some five foot tall homemade boosters hat who gets instantly belligerent if you ask him to remove it so that you can see.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM

890 posts, read 1,532,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Mike from Back East -

I think that you have summed it up well.

One more thing - in most cities these days, there are a ton of other things to do and people have the money to do them.
Or, they don't have as much money and can't afford to go.

Or, they don't have as much money and are opting to spend whatever disposable income they have on other things.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,251,141 times
At lest, baseball doesn't have this "problem", An hour before game time, I checked on tickets for the Heat/Spurs game 7. Two pairs of tickets are being offered at a million dollars each, one in row 25 baseline, the other upper tier sideline. The lowest price listed was $600 for standing room.

And people who paid those kinds of prices left before game 6 was over, and rioted to get back in for overtime..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,570,106 times
2013 MLB Attendance - Major League Baseball - ESPN

Just checking on current numbers and I still cannot believe Cleveland and Pittsburgh are still as low as they are. Cleveland is not a horrible team and Pittsburgh is home to MLB's best record at 51-30 .630. I know probably all of Pitt is taking the wait and see approach after all the years of almost but not good enough seasons however let me remind you of the one hit wonders that were the 82 Brewers. in 1981 Brewers won the AL East and then World Series appearance in 1982 and wouldn't win another division until 2011.

Sidenote: The AL East was consistently the toughest division in baseball and there were several seasons where if it were modern times the Brewers probably would have won a division or wild card spot. For instance 1987 the Brewers finished 20 games above .500 at 91-71 and still fell into 3rd place 7 games back, welcome to the AL East and then in 1992 the Brewers finished with a record of 92-70 and still 4 GB and in second place.

Moral of the story is start following your team because you never know when the next flash in the pan sparks up again.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:47 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,416,173 times
Most teams' attendance increases the year after a playoff run, not during the first season of success. That is what is happening in Oakland this year.
From what I read on the Cleveland forum, there is much animosity towards the current Indians ownership and a feeling there is no intent toward creating a winning team there.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:32 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,209,546 times
Rays have a stadium located far from the heart of the population and a little outdated (not your state of the art stadium). I go to 20-30 games a year and have no problem with the drive (45 mins) or the comfort, but evidently hundreds of thousands of potential fans do - they're not making the trek to St Pete from Tampa/Orlando.

The positive note is that the Rays' TV broadcasts are achieving a "5" on the TV ratings - which I understand is pretty good. So the fan interest is there - just not enough to travel.

It seems nearly every Rays game is broadcasted on the HDTV. There really is no incentive for people to attend a game when they can watch on the big screen while saving $$ for tickets, parking, refreshments, etc etc etc.

Recent article about the downtrend....

Why do baseball ratings continue to trend downward? - SBNation.com

Old 07-02-2013, 02:49 PM

7,835 posts, read 19,570,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Rays have a stadium located far from the heart of the population and a little outdated (not your state of the art stadium). I go to 20-30 games a year and have no problem with the drive (45 mins) or the comfort, but evidently hundreds of thousands of potential fans do - they're not making the trek to St Pete from Tampa/Orlando.

The positive note is that the Rays' TV broadcasts are achieving a "5" on the TV ratings - which I understand is pretty good. So the fan interest is there - just not enough to travel.

It seems nearly every Rays game is broadcasted on the HDTV. There really is no incentive for people to attend a game when they can watch on the big screen while saving $$ for tickets, parking, refreshments, etc etc etc.

Recent article about the downtrend....

Why do baseball ratings continue to trend downward? - SBNation.com
Yeah you're probably right, when I stayed at a hotel near Busch Gardens and we drove down to the Trop and I didn't think the drive was that bad but I could see how people getting of from work going home and then making the trip down there and back would deter people. I like the trop, I can sit anyhwere!

I remember my first trip to lambeau field, while it was cool to see a packer game and the stadium, I thought actually watching football at the stadium to not be anywhere nears as fun as watching it on TV. After that game I said to myself, eh I'd rather football on TV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or