U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times

Advertisements

It seems that there is a lot of talk in the commissioners office about new rules to reduce home plat collisions.

Here's my take.

Although I am normally more on the laissez fiare side when it comes to regulating play in major league professional sports, I'm in favor of a rule change because baseball is not intended to be a contact sport, players are not equipped or prepared to endure contact, no advantage should be gained by engaging in contact, and it is appropriate to limit contact where possible.

I would propose that tag plays at the plate be similar to tag plays at any other base, with penalties for raising the risk for a collision, to wit:

A) A runner is automatically safe if the catcher blocks access to the plate, with or without the ball.

B) A runner is automatically out if he fails to begin a slide well in advance of the plate, with contact with the ground above the thigh, if the catcher is fielding a throw or in possession of the ball

C) If both A and B occur, both players are ejected from the game, and runner is ruled safe or out according to whether he is tagged before touching the plate. If it occurs on the last play of the game, the ejection is administered as a suspension for each player's next game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM

2,716 posts, read 2,614,331 times
I really hope they don't get rid of home plate collisions, it's part of the game.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:33 AM

40,975 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I really hope they don't get rid of home plate collisions, it's part of the game.
Spitballs used to be part of the game as well until they were banned. Unpadded outfield walls used to be part of the game.

It isn't enough to argue that something is part of the game, you need to demonstrate that removing this particular part of the game would cause more damage to the sport than the benefit gained by preventing injuries. Are home plate collisions such an integral feature of baseball that it justifies incidents such as the one which robbed Buster Posey of the 2011 season?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
If nothing else, banning home plate collisions at the major league level would cause the various little league and other amateur baseball leagues to adopt similar rules.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM

3,176 posts, read 4,640,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If nothing else, banning home plate collisions at the major league level would cause the various little league and other amateur baseball leagues to adopt similar rules.
In South Dakota it was partially banned in the amateur leagues about 6-7 years ago. It has also been banned in VFW Teener, Legion, and high school ball.

When it comes to VFW, Legion, and high school, I'm unsure of the details involved. However, in amateur baseball the runner CAN smoke the catcher if the catcher is blocking the plate such that the runner cannot possibly reach the plate by sliding into it or by it. This is a judgement call by the home plate ump. If the runner tries to impact the catcher even though it's not necessary since the catcher is not up the line totally inhibating the runner's access to home, the runner is automatically out and depending upon the contact, can be thrown out of the game. I believe there may now even be a 1 game suspension involved also (this wasn't in play when I was still involved). This last part I'm not sure of, but it would be a good rule if it was intentionally done in a very violent way.

If the major leagues adopted similar rules, I don't believe it would impact (pardon the pun) the game at all.

I'm a baseball purist in most cases, but there are a few things that can be changed that don't affect tradition, the record books, or the fun of the game.

Old 06-07-2013, 03:12 PM

831 posts, read 957,943 times
Too many serious injuries have been caused by home-plate collisions to allow it to continue. The catcher is at a distinct disadvantage and is very vulnerable. He may be blocking the plate, but I was always taught how to slide to the outside to avoid him and still touch home plate. Or you could choose to slide hard through the legs if they were spread to block the plate. But blocking the plate is not a reason to throw a forearm into the catchers head.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 AM

Maybe we can protect players by playing Bubble Baseball:

Why aren't all sports bubble sports? [VIDEO]

Old 07-02-2013, 01:24 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It seems that there is a lot of talk in the commissioners office about new rules to reduce home plat collisions.

Here's my take.

Although I am normally more on the laissez fiare side when it comes to regulating play in major league professional sports, I'm in favor of a rule change because baseball is not intended to be a contact sport, players are not equipped or prepared to endure contact, no advantage should be gained by engaging in contact, and it is appropriate to limit contact where possible.

I would propose that tag plays at the plate be similar to tag plays at any other base, with penalties for raising the risk for a collision, to wit:

A) A runner is automatically safe if the catcher blocks access to the plate, with or without the ball.

B) A runner is automatically out if he fails to begin a slide well in advance of the plate, with contact with the ground above the thigh, if the catcher is fielding a throw or in possession of the ball

C) If both A and B occur, both players are ejected from the game, and runner is ruled safe or out according to whether he is tagged before touching the plate. If it occurs on the last play of the game, the ejection is administered as a suspension for each player's next game.

I don't like seeing home plate collision which could easily lead to concussions or other major injuries....

Old 07-02-2013, 04:06 PM

Mike Matheny says his concussions (which ended his career) were mostly foul tips taken off the mask. Catchers injuries from home plate collisions are much more often body and limb injuries, like Posey and Fosse.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Home plate collisions - MLB - Sporting News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball