U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM

5,973 posts, read 5,321,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I think that at best MLB could strip them of titles and awards.

Baseball statistics are an accounts balanced phenomena. Every hit achieved by a batter is a hit yielded by a pitcher. Every runner retired by a throw is an assist for a defender. If it was decided to remove someone's positive stats, they would still exist as negative stats for other players and the books would no longer balance.

Say we were to remove 150 of Barry Bonds's home runs on the grounds of their having been PEDs aided. Do we then also remove those as home runs yielded by the individual pitchers? Do we try and make adjustments to the pitcher's ERA to reflect those removals? And if we do subtract runs yielded from a pitcher, what do we do when doing so changes the score of the game so that the other team would have won?

What could be done would be to remove titles and awards. If the home run leader in a particular season was a PEDs user, we rewrite the record books awarding that crown to the next highest total by someone who wasn't using PEDs (as far as we know) An MVP or Cy Young award could be forfeited by a PEDs pitcher and given to the next highest vote total player who wasn't using PEDs. (we hope)

But I am afraid we are stuck with the raw numbers, no way to ever fix that without screwing things up on an immense scale.

They could take their names and numbers off the all time lists. No asterisks. Just remove Bonds from the HR list along with McGwire, Sosa, Arod, etc. All lists, doubles, games played, k's. They will still be in the box scores but nowhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 07:58 PM

462 posts, read 335,827 times
What about pitchers in the hall who set records who doctored baseballs? Or hitters who used corked bats? Should their names be removed from lists as well?

Old 06-05-2013, 09:05 PM

20,923 posts, read 39,228,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I think A-Rod could be done. I don't know how many years he has left on his contract with the Yankees. The injury plus the possible suspension means he would be done for this year. No doubt the Yankees would do everything in their power to get him off the team somehow and I don't see him playing for anyone else.
If I were the Yankees I'd want to dump A-Roid and not have to pay him that ridiculous salary contract.

All of the guilty should be barred from the Hall of Fame and banned from any involvement with baseball.

The stats would stay in the books, with an asterisk that these numbers are tainted by PEDs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:40 PM

41,160 posts, read 18,609,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
They could take their names and numbers off the all time lists. No asterisks. Just remove Bonds from the HR list along with McGwire, Sosa, Arod, etc. All lists, doubles, games played, k's. They will still be in the box scores but nowhere else.
Or leave their names and numbers on the list but put sarcastic emoticons next to them. Like..

1. Barry Bonds 762
2. Hank Aaron 755
3. Babe Ruth 714
4. Willie Mays 660
5. Alex Rodriguez 647
6. Ken Griffey 630
7. Jim Thome 612
8. Sammy Sosa 609
9. Frank Robinso 586
10. Mark McGwire 583
11. Harmon Killebrew 569

Old 06-05-2013, 09:42 PM

16,532 posts, read 20,997,474 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yes! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 06-05-2013, 10:15 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
It seems that you did not follow the story closely enough. Rose wrote a book in 2004 "My Prison Without Bars" in which he confessed to all of the charges made against him. Three days before the publication date he appeared on ABC and confessed that he had been lying all along and that the book would lay it out for the public.

Is that proof enough for you?
Amazon.com: My Prison Without Bars (9780756785703): Pete Rose, Rick Hill: Books
No thanks, you can read it for me. Keep in mind, his confession (as I remember it) was that yes, he did bet on baseball games even though for years he claimed that he didn't. I'm pretty sure this is what he "came clean" about. I've never heard where he has stated that he bet against his team which is where the big scandal would be and the game fixing commences.

If you've got the time, find in the book where he confesses to doing this and post it. THEN you bet, that's proof enough for me. "Say it ain't so Charlie Hustle".

Old 06-05-2013, 11:13 PM

2,869 posts, read 2,833,690 times
Griffey is still the king for my era. I still have his '89 UD RC in mint condition. Literally the card you had to have.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:21 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,436,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
No thanks, you can read it for me. Keep in mind, his confession (as I remember it) was that yes, he did bet on baseball games even though for years he claimed that he didn't. I'm pretty sure this is what he "came clean" about. I've never heard where he has stated that he bet against his team which is where the big scandal would be and the game fixing commences.

If you've got the time, find in the book where he confesses to doing this and post it. THEN you bet, that's proof enough for me. "Say it ain't so Charlie Hustle".
The point is he bet on baseball. As a manager and/or player, if you bet on certain games and not others, you open up all kinds of What If? scenarios, which is why it has always been the one steadfast rule of professional baseball.
What's with all the crying over Rose throughout the years, anyway? He's a narcissistic scumbag.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM

41,160 posts, read 18,609,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post

Toto has pulled back the curtain and everyone can see the man working the levers.

You elect to still believe in Oz.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The point is he bet on baseball. As a manager and/or player, if you bet on certain games and not others, you open up all kinds of What If? scenarios, which is why it has always been the one steadfast rule of professional baseball.
What's with all the crying over Rose throughout the years, anyway? He's a narcissistic scumbag.

I'll agree with you on this whole-heartedly. I admired Rose's play for which he was a winner, but as a person, yea he's a bum. I wouldn't walk across the street for his autograph. He'd have to pay me.

The only reason I brought him into the picture is the comparison to the slimeballs who got away with doing even worse things to the game than Rose did. Sosa, McGuire, and Bonds for example have no business having their names even listed close to a true class act like Hank Aaron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball