Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,369,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Yea, the record books are plastered with Bonds, Sosa, and others while Pete Rose is still totally banned from all baseball functions as well as the hall of fame. HE'S guilty even though there never was any proof that he bet against any of the teams he played for or coached.

Can anyone say "double standard".
Rose is an entirely different situation altogether. I honestly don't know if he should ever be admitted to the Hall.

As far as juicers, I think my guy Blylevlen said it succinctly when he stated "what we HOFers should do when in attendance at a future inductee ceremony is, when a juicer walks up to the podium, we all get up and walk out (paraphrase)."

I honestly don't think any juicer should EVER be admitted. They corrupted the history of the game. They perverted the record books and that can never be undone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 AM

2,713 posts, read 3,010,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Major League Baseball might suspend 20 players, including Alex Rodriguez, Ryan Braun as part of Miami investigation - ESPN

Melky Cabrera and Nelson Cruz are reported to be among those who will be suspended.
WOW I didn't know Braun was so deep in this.
I think the ultimate punishment would be to strip them of all their stats, and awards. Make it seem as though they never played the game.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:55 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,369,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I think the ultimate punishment would be to strip them of all their stats, and awards. Make it seem as though they never played the game.
I'd be fine with that.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:18 PM

48,564 posts, read 23,968,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Pete Rose is still totally banned from all baseball functions as well as the hall of fame. HE'S guilty even though there never was any proof that he bet against any of the teams he played for or coached.

It seems that you did not follow the story closely enough. Rose wrote a book in 2004 "My Prison Without Bars" in which he confessed to all of the charges made against him. Three days before the publication date he appeared on ABC and confessed that he had been lying all along and that the book would lay it out for the public.

Is that proof enough for you?
Amazon.com: My Prison Without Bars (9780756785703): Pete Rose, Rick Hill: Books

Old 06-05-2013, 12:25 PM

Since Alex Rodriguez is on the DL and not expected to play until sometime after the All Star break, and since any suspension would not begin until his return, and since MLB is talking 100 game suspensions for these guys, if it goes through Arod will not be on the baseball field again until May or June of next season.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I thought the MLB was supposed to keep these things behind locked doors until they find out if people are actually guilty or not (I'm guessing they are, but still). Same thing happened in the 1st Braun deal, I don't think we were supposed to find out about that one either.
These things keep getting leaked, whether by accident or design, who knows? That 2003 list of 100 plus players who had tested positive was supposed to have been kept confidential by the agreement between MLB and the MLBPA, there were about a half dozen names which were leaked, including Slamming Sammy.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:57 PM

77,702 posts, read 59,844,990 times
The sad thing is that I think the people most upset right now are guys worried about their fantasy baseball team.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:12 PM

I think A-Rod could be done. I don't know how many years he has left on his contract with the Yankees. The injury plus the possible suspension means he would be done for this year. No doubt the Yankees would do everything in their power to get him off the team somehow and I don't see him playing for anyone else.

Old 06-05-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I think that at best MLB could strip them of titles and awards.

Baseball statistics are an accounts balanced phenomena. Every hit achieved by a batter is a hit yielded by a pitcher. Every runner retired by a throw is an assist for a defender. If it was decided to remove someone's positive stats, they would still exist as negative stats for other players and the books would no longer balance.

Say we were to remove 150 of Barry Bonds's home runs on the grounds of their having been PEDs aided. Do we then also remove those as home runs yielded by the individual pitchers? Do we try and make adjustments to the pitcher's ERA to reflect those removals? And if we do subtract runs yielded from a pitcher, what do we do when doing so changes the score of the game so that the other team would have won?

What could be done would be to remove titles and awards. If the home run leader in a particular season was a PEDs user, we rewrite the record books awarding that crown to the next highest total by someone who wasn't using PEDs (as far as we know) An MVP or Cy Young award could be forfeited by a PEDs pitcher and given to the next highest vote total player who wasn't using PEDs. (we hope)

But I am afraid we are stuck with the raw numbers, no way to ever fix that without screwing things up on an immense scale.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:17 PM

Makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball