U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM

41,049 posts, read 18,589,435 times

Advertisements

Puig, despite having played in only 21 games, has now taken the lead in offensive WAR for the Dodgers position players. He's at 1.5, Crawford is 1.3, Gonzalez 1.2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,738,747 times
Puig's start is better than DiMaggio's in 1936 and has raised more eyebrows. DiMaggio's feats were overshadowed on a team that batted .300 and scored 1,065 runs.

Old 06-27-2013, 12:57 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,529,490 times
Puig is the most exciting thing that's happened for the Dodgers this year, but I don't want him in the All-Star game. His abilities are amazing, but they are still "raw." He is excitingly aggressive, but not yet wisely aggressive. I love how he tries to turn singles into outs when he's in the field, and singles into doubles when he's at bat. (Hey, Kemp used to do those things, . . . ) But he gets thrown out too much on the bases and he gets in the way of other fielders.

Also, getting that much praise and attention so soon would not be good for his long-term development as a player. There are other fine outfielders in the NL who deserve to be chosen.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
Puig is the most exciting thing that's happened for the Dodgers this year, but I don't want him in the All-Star game. His abilities are amazing, but they are still "raw." He is excitingly aggressive, but not yet wisely aggressive. I love how he tries to turn singles into outs when he's in the field, and singles into doubles when he's at bat. (Hey, Kemp used to do those things, . . . ) But he gets thrown out too much on the bases and he gets in the way of other fielders.

Also, getting that much praise and attention so soon would not be good for his long-term development as a player. There are other fine outfielders in the NL who deserve to be chosen.
I watched the Dodgers sweep the Giants the last three days and I could not help but notice that Puig has a bit of the hotdog in him, well, more than a bit. He appears to be an incredible talent, but I wonder if it will come with an insufferable personality ala Barry Bonds. Twice in the series he raced in front of the centerfielder to catch a ball that clearly should have been the centerfielder's play. The second time he got some chatter from Kemp about it, although of course I can only guess what was said. And as you noted, he seems reckless on the base paths.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:10 AM

11,438 posts, read 6,415,105 times
Puig is like my player from MLB 2K13. Ridiculously high batting average, never takes a walk, and constantly gets thrown out trying to turn a single into a double

Old 07-02-2013, 01:25 AM

1,815 posts, read 1,760,567 times
Puig has injected new life and enthusiasm to the Dodgers, and with Kemp and Crawford returning they have a chance to go on an extended run.

He is a very talented and fiery player-----he plays with great energy and enthusiasm. Some of his play in the outfield may be due to trying to get familiar with his teamates, and I feel he will learn how to defer to them with more experience.

He will go through his peaks and valleys when pitchers learn his tendencies and probe for weaknesses. That being said, Puig is a breath of fresh air and has injected a lot of fun and enjoyment into the baseball season.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:40 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,571,930 times
I was at the game last night here in Denver. What a treat to see this kid in person. First thing I noticed...he's enormous. 6'4, 245 lbs. he's the size of an NFL tight end.

Dude went 3-5, including a dinger and a double. Myself and most Rockies fans around me were in awe of this kid. He seems to be the real deal, reminds me of Bo Jackson.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,144,482 times
Yasiel Puig and Mike Trout are going to be SUPER STARS and both are in Southern California - 30 miles apart.

-Cheers!

Old 07-06-2013, 08:21 PM

Ugh oh, they have found Puig's weakness. He was fanned three times today by Giants starter Madison Bumgarner, and whiffed for the fourth time in the 9th against Sergio Romo.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:44 PM

72,025 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Played for the Yankees or the Red Sox he may have already been a household name. But since he plays on the west coast, most baseball fans have never heard of him.

In just four games, the 6’-3” Cuban in 16 at bats, has 7 hits, three home runs (one being a grand slam) and 9 RBI, all in just four games. He holds a .438 average, and a slugging percentage of 1.063. He has a rocket for an arm, and is as fast as they come. Some have compared him athletically to Bo Jackson.

His recent recall has people who are old enough to remembering what Fernandomania was all about in LA in 1981. Well it is happening again with Yasiel Puig!!
Well right now he is becoming closer to a household name...Good luck to him!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball