U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What would you prefer
Keep the Current System: Play till someone wins, no matter how long it takes 23 88.46%
Find a new System: HR Derby, or other. 0 0%
Allow ties 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 02:31 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,212,583 times

Advertisements

When a minor league coach was killed by a batted ball, I believe all coaches on the baselines at all levels of baseball were required to wear batting helmets the very next day.

When Eddie Gaedel pinch hit, midgets were banned the next day. When Eddie Stanky introduced the "flying start" on a tag up after a sac fly, it was banned the next day. (Actually, I think it took the rules committee about a week to do that one.) It was also Stanky that made about eight trips to the mound to talk to the same pitcher as it was getting dark on a Sunday, and I think that rule was imposed at midseason.

When LaRussa came from the AL and first tried the double switch, the NL umpire just made up the rule on the spot that gesturing to the bullpen constitutes "announcing a substitution" for the purpose of the substitution rule, which previously stipulated that the umpire shall "announce a substitution", and it has been enforced that way ever since, but was written into the rule book only the following year.

By the way, every pitcher in the history of baseball has always been free to voluntarily wear a protective helmet.

Last edited by jtur88; 06-21-2013 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 02:46 PM

40,814 posts, read 18,549,595 times
jtur88
Quote:
When a minor league coach was killed by a batted ball, I believe all coaches on the baselines at all levels of baseball were required to wear batting helmets the very next day.
You reference the death of Tulsa coach Mike Coolbaugh. He was struck and killed while coaching firstbase on July 22, 2007. The MLB decision to require helmets for coaches came in November, after the season was over, not the next day.

Quote:
When Eddie Gaedel pinch hit, midgets were banned the next day.
A unique incident, hardly reflective of MLB historic habits.

Old 06-21-2013, 02:57 PM

I can't seem to find the thread on pitchers hemlets, so I'll mention it here.

Before pitchers can re required to wear helmets, I presume they would need to make a rule requiring catchers to wear masks or even helmets. I don't think there is any such rule applied at MLB level, although non-professional leagues may have adopted such a rule. Aside from batting (and now coaching) helmets, I don't think there is any rule in the baseball rule book (used at the MLB level) mandating protective equipment, even for catchers.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post

Before pitchers can re required to wear helmets, I presume they would need to make a rule requiring catchers to wear masks or even helmets. .
Why? The rules allow players to wear gloves and limits their size and characteristics, but there is no rule which requires anyone to wear a glove. Would we also need such a rule in order to permit pitching helmets? What is the supposed connection?

And there is a rule which requires catchers to wear helmets, but none which mandates a mask, chest protector or shinguards. Catchers wear those because of what would happen to them if they did not, they have no need for the encouragement of rules.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Why? The rules allow players to wear gloves and limits their size and characteristics, but there is no rule which requires anyone to wear a glove. Would we also need such a rule in order to permit pitching helmets? What is the supposed connection?

And there is a rule which requires catchers to wear helmets, but none which mandates a mask, chest protector or shinguards. Catchers wear those because of what would happen to them if they did not, they have no need for the encouragement of rules.
I am not following you, or else you are not following me.

Currently, there is no rule requiring pitchers to wear helmets, but no rule prohibiting it, either. They may if they wish.
Currently, there is no rule requiring catchers to wear anything other than helmets, but no rule prohibiting it, either. They may if they wish.
(I was not aware, in my post, that there is a rule requiring catchers to wear a helmet, but not a mask. I stand corrected.)

There is currently discussion of a rule change regarding pitchers. The only change can be to make helmets mandatory, because they are already permitted voluntarily. There is no such analogous rule change being contemplated (that I know of) concerning catchers' helmets or masks or any other protective paraphernalia.

What is it that you are trying to say, that disagrees with the above?

Old 06-22-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I am not following you, or else you are not following me.

Currently, there is no rule requiring pitchers to wear helmets, but no rule prohibiting it, either. They may if they wish.
Currently, there is no rule requiring catchers to wear anything other than helmets, but no rule prohibiting it, either. They may if they wish.
(I was not aware, in my post, that there is a rule requiring catchers to wear a helmet, but not a mask. I stand corrected.)

There is currently discussion of a rule change regarding pitchers. The only change can be to make helmets mandatory, because they are already permitted voluntarily. There is no such analogous rule change being contemplated (that I know of) concerning catchers' helmets or masks or any other protective paraphernalia.

What is it that you are trying to say, that disagrees with the above?
There is no reason why requiring helmets for pitchers would first require a set of rules requiring special gear for catchers. You wrote that you presumed "they would need to make a rule requiring catchers to wear masks or even helmets" before pitchers could be required to wear helmets.

I explained why that was incorrect. They may make a rule requiring pitchers to wear helmets without any need for any other rule changes.

As I noted, there is no rule requiring anyone to wear a glove. When the decision was made to require batters to wear helmets, there was no need to make a rule requiring players to wear gloves, was there? In the same manner, the mandated change you suggested is unneeded.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:37 PM

I have already stood corrected on the rule about catcher's helmets. Do you take special pleasure in belaboring such points?

Old 06-22-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
I have already stood corrected on the rule about catcher's helmets. Do you take special pleasure in belaboring such points?
Huh? I think you are a bit lost here.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM

804 posts, read 1,376,543 times
Quote:
Yeah, my head is spinning right now. You guys turned such a simple point of discussion into a convoluted argument.

Jtur: I think Grandstander is addressing your comment that "they would need to make a rule requiring catchers to wear masks or even helmets". Grandstander was pointing out that there is no correlation between mandated rules in regards to catchers and mandated rules pertaining to pitchers. Catchers wear equipment that is not explicitly stated as necessary because it's blatantly obvious that such equipment is needed. Now, some pitchers (or maybe even the majority) are probably reluctant to wear protective equipment so a rule change mandating the use of such equipment would be necessary.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:12 PM

3,450 posts, read 8,149,978 times
What I'd like to see is MLB enforce time rules between pitches. This would reduce the amount of screwing around that batters (stepping out of the batters' box, playing with their batting gloves, etc.) and pitchers (stepping off the rubber, etc.) engage in and speed up the game subtly but significantly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or