U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,986,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
I would have to agree with the Pittsburg suggestion.
Not to be that guy, but as someone who's a Pirates fan it always annoys me to see people misspell Pittsburgh by leaving off the "h" at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Princeton and Batavia are (by far) the smallest towns that still have teams in the minor leagues.
Princeton is, but Batavia's not. Batavia has a population of about 15,500. Pulaski, VA (Pulaski Mariners), Elizabethton, TN (Elizabethton Twins), Greeneville, TN (Greeneville Astros) are all smaller than Batavia.

FWIW I have to nominate Central/Eastern NC. I live in Raleigh and within a 3-4 hr drive I have the following stadiums/teams:

DC -Nationals Park (Washington Nationals, National League)

GA - Lake Olmstead Stadium (Augusta Greenjackets, South Atlantic League)

MD - Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles, American League)
Prince George's Stadium (Bowie Baysox, Eastern League)
Harry Grove Field (Frederick Keys, Carolina League)
Arthur W. Perdue Stadium (Delmarva Shorebirds, South Atlantic League)
Municipal Stadium (Hagerstown Suns, South Atlantic League)

NC - Durham Bulls Athletic Park (Durham Bulls, International League)
BB&T Ballpark (Winston-Salem Dash, Carolina League)
Five County Stadium (Carolina Mudcats, Carolina League)
CMC-Northeast Stadium (Kannapolis Intimidators, South Atlantic League)
L.P. Frans Stadium (Hickory Crawdads, South Atlantic League)
McCormick Field (Asheville Tourists, South Atlantic League)
NewBridge Bank Park (Greensboro Grasshoppers, South Atlantic League)
Burlington Athletic Stadium (Burlington Royals, Appalachian League

SC - Knights Stadium (Charlotte Knights, International League)
Ticketreturn.com Field (Myrtle Beach Pelicans, Carolina League)
Fluor Field (Greenville Drive, South Atlantic League)
Joseph P. Riley Ballpark (Charleston Riverdogs, South Atlantic League)

TN - Smokies Park (Tennessee Smokies, Southern League)
Howard Johnson Field (Johnson City Cardinals, Appalachian League)
Hunter Wright Stadium (Kingsport Mets, Appalachian League)
Joe O'Brien Field (Elizabethton Twins, Appalachian League)
Pioneer Park (Greeneville Astros, Appalachian League)

VA - Harbor Park (Norfolk Tides, International League)
The Diamond (Richmond Flying Squirrels, Eastern League)
Calvin Falwell Field (Lynchburg Hillcats, Carolina League)
G. Richard Pfitzner Stadium (Potomac Nationals, Carolina League)
Lewis-Gale Field (Salem Red Sox, Carolina League)
American Legion Field (Danville Braves, Appalachian League)
Bowen Field (Bluefield Orioles, Appalachian League)
Calfee Park (Pulaski Mariners, Appalachian League)

WV - Appalachian Power Park (West Virginia Power, South Atlantic League)
H.P. Hunnicutt Field (Princeton Rays, Appalachian League)

Last edited by garnetpalmetto; 06-19-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,401,000 times
You're right about Batavia, I don't know wny I thought it was so small.

I would not consider it an easy drive from anywhere to both Baltimore and Charleston SC (300 miles to each of them), but it's true that central North Carolina has a lot of minor league baseball within an hour's drive. I've been to games in Kinston, Hickory, Greensboro and Winston Salem, as well as Asheville and Greenville SC (both the same day), which are a bit further out from the epicenter.

Old 06-19-2013, 05:01 PM

9,031 posts, read 16,459,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Princeton and Batavia are (by far) the smallest towns that still have teams in the minor leagues. Did you ever get over to Pittsfield MA, to see a game in Wyconah Park, where they have to suspend the game for a half hour at sunset because it's laid out with the sun in the batters eyes? Yes, I saw a game in Auburn in 2000, but I think it was a new ballpark. I made it a point in my travels to go to as many of the old ballparks as I could, my favorites were in Savannah and Charleston WV. I mentioned Oneonta because it had such a wonderful small-town feel to it. I think the owner of the team just kept it there as a hobby, he went out and tamped the mound himself when the pitcher complained about the footing. It was the last team in organized baseball that did not have its own website, and I'm not sure they ever got one.

The only NYPenn games I saw were in Auburn, Burlington, Oneonta and Pittsfield.

I remember when I was a kid, it was called the Pony League, and there teams in places like Olean, Bradford, Hornell, Wellsville, Corning.
Right on ... never made it out to Pittsfield ... that one was a little too far

Hornell, Wellsville & Corning are all essentially my backyard ... would have been neat to catch games there .... Hornell occasionally gets semi-pro or collegiate level teams coming through

Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,163,635 times
I live in the DC area, and every season as part of day trips I see at least 12 Nationals games (actually usually has been around 20 games), about 5 Orioles games, 3 Phillies games, and 1 Yankees or Mets game. Actually, I did the same thing when I lived in south central Pennsylvania (though when I lived there it was more like at a minimum 5 Phillies games, 3 Orioles games, 2 Nationals, and 1 Yankees or Mets game per season). Additionally, I've exclusively taken public transit to see all of those teams while living in DC (though I usually drive to Baltimore and will drive to Philadelphia unless it is a Friday or Saturday game).

For whatever it is worth, back in 2009 I saw the Cubs and White Sox on the same day, and took a day trip later that same week to see the Brewers (and like I often do with the Northeast Corridor teams, I used public transit to travel to/from all of those games while staying in the south end of the Chicago Loop).

Old 06-25-2013, 09:52 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,163,635 times
I'll add that the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic has an absolute boatload of minor league teams, both in the affiliated minor leagues and the independent minor leagues.

When I lived in Harrisburg (2000-2007), I took day trips to see the following minor league teams. All of these teams are/were within 3 hours of Harrisburg:

AAA
*Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Red Barons (a bit less than 2 hours away)

AA
*Harrisburg Senators
*Reading Phillies (1 hour away)
*Altoona Curve (about 2 hours away)
*Bowie Baysox (about 2 hours away)
*Trenton Thunder (about 2 hours away)
*Binghamton Mets (about 2 hours 45 minutes away)

High A
*Frederick Keys (about 1 hour 20 minutes away)
*Wilmington Blue Rocks (about 2 hours away)
*Potomac Nationals (about 2 hours 40 minutes away)

Low A
*Hagerstown Suns (about 1 hour 20 minutes away)
*Lakewood Blue Claws (about 2 hours 30 minutes away)

Short Season A
*Williamsport Crosscutters (about 1 hour 30 minutes away)
*State College Spikes (about 1 hour 30 minutes away)
*Aberdeen IronBirds (about 1 hour 40 minutes away)
*New Jersey Cardinals (about 2 hours 45 minutes away) (now defunct, moved to State College)

Independent
*York Revolution (about 30-35 minutes away)
*Lancaster Barnstormers (about 40-45 minutes away)

Since I moved from Harrisburg, the Lehigh Valley Iron Pigs have come into existence, and they'd be about 1 hour 30 minutes away from Harrisburg.

The DC area isn't quite as impressive; many of the above teams drop out of range (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Binghamton, Lakewood, Williamsport, State College), but some teams are added too, like Richmond (previously AAA, now AA), Delmarva (low A), and Southern Maryland (independent).

I should note that in the DC area, various collegiate wooden bat summer league teams are also nearby, primarily in the DC/Baltimore-based Cal Ripken Collegiate League but also in the Shenandoah Valley-based Valley League. There is also a similar league (Atlantic Collegiate Baseball League) based in eastern Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or