U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 05:37 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,715,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David2485 View Post
Andrew God Damn McCutchen. /thread.

Cutch is a better OFer than Puig and probably Trout, but that's due to his first-read ability. His paths to fly balls are nearly perfect. Puig and Trout take less efficient routes, but cover the same ground or more by sheer physicality.

Now, my vote for most athletic would be an odd one. I'd go with Josh Harrison. At 5'8", 200 lbs, he can play every position except catcher (he's even pitched), played QB in HS, and also was a star hoopster despite his short stature. His natural positions are 3B and 2B, although he's already made two of the best OF catches in MLB this season, one in RF, one in LF. And he's hitting over .300 with an .800+ OPS.

If only he could actually bunt effectively...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 07:38 AM

41,305 posts, read 18,647,380 times
When the topic calls for the superlative..."best"..."greatest", the argument tends to be about the definition of the word. Does "best" mean best built? Most versatile? Strongest? Fastest? Most naturally gifted?

I do not know who is the strongest, fastest or best built. As for most naturally gifted, that may well be someone like Pablo Sandoval who has to be an incredible natural athlete if he can play professional sports while being grossly overweight.

Suppose they had some sort of Pentathlon for baseball players featuring:
Running
Throwing
Weight lifting
Gymnastics
Swimming

Who on your club would win? It might well be some otherwise undistinguished player who isn't the best at baseball, but can dominate the events. For example, on the A's the running would be between Coco Crisp and Curt Gentry, the strongest would be Yoenis Cepedes (who is also very fast) and I suspect that the best gymnast would be the non star, Eric Sogard. I've seen his pre game warmups which feature a number of violent flips, leaps, pretzel twistings of his body...which I don't think very many people can do. No idea who the best swimmer would be.

If I had to wager, I guess I'd put my money on Cepedes. Anyone ever see that unusual audition video he made during the time between his defection and his signing? Remarkable athlete.

Old 06-23-2014, 10:27 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,743,310 times
I'm voting for Trout. He reminds me of the young Mickey Mantle.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:41 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,062,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Those guys are pretty fit, but Kyle Blanks is beastly up close.
Yes indeed! I saw him on the Padres at Spring Training last year. That guy's a beast. I was so impressed with his stature and play. He's been playing well in limited opportunities, but I still expect him to break out soon. I will say that Mike Trout immediately came to my mind when thinking of the best MLB athlete though just because he's a 5-tool player built like a linebacker.

Old 06-24-2014, 11:05 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 769,736 times
How about a player 6'4", 240 lbs, power, speed and an MVP winner? - Josh Hamilton. Injury prone or not he's a helluva an athlete.

Old 06-24-2014, 08:56 PM

25,988 posts, read 13,504,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I'm voting for Trout. He reminds me of the young Mickey Mantle.
Hard to argue against Trout but another guy that puts me in mind of Mantle is the Blue Jays Brett Lawrie. This guy doesn't know how strong he is and his fast-twitch muscles may be unrivaled in MLB.

If he learns to relax a bit more at the plate and let his hands do the work, and improves his pitch selection, he could put up some monster numbers one day.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:56 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 769,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hard to argue against Trout but another guy that puts me in mind of Mantle is the Blue Jays Brett Lawrie. This guy doesn't know how strong he is and his fast-twitch muscles may be unrivaled in MLB.

If he learns to relax a bit more at the plate and let his hands do the work, and improves his pitch selection, he could put up some monster numbers one day.

At the rate he's going he won't have any hands left.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:29 PM

25,988 posts, read 13,504,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q44 View Post
At the rate he's going he won't have any hands left.
Ouch!

You may be right.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:11 PM

4,832 posts, read 2,587,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
From current players, that leaves Derek Jeter, Torii Hunter, and Ichiro Suzuki.
Five years ago, I would agree wholeheartedly. Today, not so much. Very astute putting Irchiro on the list. I watched him in Seattle when he started playing in America and the guy had the best all around game you could imagine. Inspiring.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:56 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,618,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
By athlete I mean most physically strong and fit

Giancarlo Stanton, Mike Trout, Yoenis Cespedes, Yasiel Puig and Jacoby Ellsbury are the most athletic that come to mind. I'd say that the best athlete is Trout because he looks like a mini-linebacker, but has speed like a sprinter.

I also considered Ryan Braun, but he has an uninspiring chest
Prince Fielder or Pablo Sandoval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball