Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times

Advertisements

By athlete I mean most physically strong and fit

Giancarlo Stanton, Mike Trout, Yoenis Cespedes, Yasiel Puig and Jacoby Ellsbury are the most athletic that come to mind. I'd say that the best athlete is Trout because he looks like a mini-linebacker, but has speed like a sprinter.

I also considered Ryan Braun, but he has an uninspiring chest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 09:11 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Those guys are pretty fit, but Kyle Blanks is beastly up close.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,642 times
Mike Trout takes the cake. He is built like a NFL running back. Not only does he have speed like ellsbury but has power to boot. That Puig guy looks like a bulldog but I hate him.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:00 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,054 times
Why do you hate Puig?

Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I would start the search by looking for players who also excelled in other sports, which would give a good picture of overall athletic ability. I think Dave Winfield was drafted in all three sports. Jackie Robinson is more deserving of being called a "great athlete" than "great baseball player".

A great athlete has to do more than just excel at the measurable performance tools, but also be able to mentally visualize the game to apply his athletic skills productively, and also possess the discipline to maximize his ability to bring those tools to the game, and also to be a team member who can mesh his athletic talent with teammates.

If you're judging a great athlete by appearance alone (as seems to be the case in some posts), Javy Lopez always struck me as being the most perfect athlete in baseball, in terms of his physique and carriage. I once took my wife to a game, and a few minutes after we sat in our seats during pregame activities, she pointed to one of the players and said "That must be Ken Griffey". She was right, and on the field, he stood out as conspicuously as Vanessa Redgrave at a flea market. I saw Tim Raines Junior play in the minors, and was left with the same impression.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:47 PM

2,420 posts, read 3,846,946 times
My vote goes to Mike Trout.

-Cheers!

Old 07-05-2013, 03:14 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,287,039 times
Athletic players should be able to run. They don't need to be the fastest, but they need to be quick on their feet, able to run the basepaths and cover good range in the field.

Athletic players are strong. Sometimes this results in lots of home runs or 101 mph pitches, but not always. It should mean strong and accurate throws and enough strength get good hits.

Athletic players should have good hand-eye coordination. They hit the baseball, catch the baseball, and make accurate throws.

Athletic players have quick and accurate reflexes. Because of this, they can hit the baseball, get a good jump on the ball when in the field, and change course quickly when something unexpected happens.

Athletic players don't need to cheat. Use of PED's eliminates them from contention. If you want all-time, there are a lot more choices.

Athletic players are flexible and durable. This last requirement prevents me from choosing a young player. He may be off to a great start, but does he keep himself in great shape? Will he fall apart at 30 or keep going strong until 40?

I also could not choose an American League pitcher or a DH as the most athletic. He may be extremely athletic, but as he does not have the opportunity to demonstrate all the criteria, I'd have to exclude him.

From current players, that leaves Derek Jeter, Torii Hunter, and Ichiro Suzuki.

Old 07-07-2013, 10:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
By athlete I mean most physically strong and fit

I also considered Ryan Braun, but he has an uninspiring chest
\

Are you looking to date him or just appreciate his baseball skills?

Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Why do you hate Puig?
i like the dbacks and during that dbacks dodgers brawl(not really) Puig came in and sucker punched one of our outfielders and didnt get a suspension or nothing.

Old 06-23-2014, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,852 times
Andrew God Damn McCutchen. /thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball