U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 10:09 AM

2,748 posts, read 2,695,676 times

Advertisements

Baseball games take too long, and that’s the long and short of it - The Washington Post

I like baseball but agree with the writer that games have become too long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM

14,256 posts, read 23,974,521 times
It is NOT just baseball.

Over the past FIVE years, the average untelevised NCAA Division III FOOTBALL game runs between 150-170 minutes. Many of the BCS games are going 210-240. The TV timeouts are often three minutes or more. I guess I notice it more in November and December when the weather is pretty bad and I am sitting out in the cold weather.

To me, there are too many conferences on the mound, too many pitching changes, and far too much stepping out on pitches in the average baseball game. I also, think that there is a real lack of pitching talent, BUT that is another issue.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:22 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,411 times
I agree. Batters step out of the batter's box between every pitch or pitchers take anywhere between 10 and 15 seconds between pitches. Since the pitching game has gotten more 'specialized' as pitchers only come in from the pen to pitch only to one hitter (lefty/righty, statistical advantage, etc.) this slows down the game, too. Nothing more boring than watching a long 9 innings game on TV with the announcers trying to come up with things to say. Being at the stadium in person in a long game can be equally brutal.

-Cheers!

Old 07-14-2013, 06:16 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,396,193 times
I blame the pitchers who spend an entire minute staring down the batter and choosing which pitch to throw

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,735,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixmike11 View Post
Baseball games take too long, and that’s the long and short of it - The Washington Post

I like baseball but agree with the writer that games have become too long.
I would have read this article but it was too long.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:01 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
In every market, baseball attendance is up double or triple what it was when games were 90-100 minutes long. In 1955, total MLB attendance was 7-million, and it's been over 70-million for the past five years. If the fans thought the games were too long, they wouldn't go. The only people I've heard complaining about the length of games are the announcers and writers, who are working the games, and would love it if they were only ten minutes long, so they could get to the post-game bar.

Ever the article admits that they are only 27 minutes longer than they were 40 years ago, and I bet almost that whole 27 minutes is taken up by longer commercial breaks. The writer of the cited article never mentions commercials once in her Washington Post diatribe. Every game is now televised locally, and 40 years ago, less than half of them were.

Commercial breaks take up 50-60 minutes in every game, and I've never heard an announcer yet complain about the length of the commercial break. Breaks are about a minute longer (20 minutes per game) in nationally televised games, which also start 10 minutes later for the pregame ads. so they end 30 minutes later..

Last edited by jtur88; 07-15-2013 at 08:39 AM..

Old 07-15-2013, 09:37 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
I go to 20-30 games a season here in Tampa. I get to most games just as the first pitch is being thrown so I don't sit through all that pregame crap (except National Anthem - enjoy that). I do that so I don't feel like I've been siting for 4-5 hrs in the stadium. Some peeps get there 1-1/2 hr early - might see BP, but usually just watch players stretch...Makes for a very long day, imo.

I usually leave in the 7th or 8th inning and listen to the game on the radio while beating any traffic that might be leaving - (we only draw on avg 17k).

The games are much too long imo and between innings, there's too much time in addition to the constant pitcher/catcher meetings on the mound, or pitching changes after the pitching coach visited several times already.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 PM

11,434 posts, read 6,396,193 times
One thing that I do dislike is that in longer games the umpires get tired and start giving the pitchers favorable calls so that games can end sooner. Remember the awful strike three call on Zobrist? Or the call in the Yankees Orioles game by Jerry Meals? Or the Adam Rosales double in Cleveland? I really wish this wouldn't happen so often

Old 07-15-2013, 12:22 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I

The games are much too long imo and between innings, there's too much time in addition to the constant pitcher/catcher meetings on the mound, or pitching changes after the pitching coach visited several times already.
Games have actually been speeded up, by the rule (I think in the 1950s) limiting the manager to one trip to the mound per pitcher per inning. The rule was imposed because Eddie Stanky, in the era of Sunday blue laws curtailing double headers, went to the mound after every pitch, trying to get the Sunday law invoked before the end of the fifth inning, when he was losing a lopsided game.

]n Pennsylvania, New York and Masssachusetts (state law), it was illegal to start an inning after 5:45 pm, nor to turn the lights on at all (league rule), and they scheduled double headers almost every Sunday, with games beginning at 12:30, so played two complete games in five hours.

If people couldn't stand to sit in their seats for more than 3 hours, how do you suppose they sold so many tickets to double-headers? Choosing random teams in 1952, seven of the top 17 gates in Detroit and 6 of the top 12 in the Polo Grounds were double headers. People actually preferred 5-6 hours of baseball for their game day outing.

Every game I ever saw that hit the 4-hour mark, it looked to me like the fans were still enjoying it and full of enthusiasm, obligatory camera shots of sleeping babies notwithstanding..,

Last edited by jtur88; 07-15-2013 at 12:44 PM..

Old 07-15-2013, 10:27 PM

364 posts, read 457,778 times
I grew up in a baseball home and have the game in my blood.

A couple reasons reasons why I enjoy this game more than any other stick and ball sport are:

-There is no time limit, and there are no ties. There will always be a result.
-The laid-back atmosphere of a baseball game. It's summer in America. Relaxing is the name of the game. What better way to spend your Saturday afternoon than watching some baseball while you grill, work on your car, drink, etc?
-162 games a year. The casual nature of the sport, and that while it definitely glorifies athleticism, isn't as demanding and degrading on players' bodies as some other games, means that there can be a game (almost) every day.

I feel like part of what makes baseball special is that it isn't as rigid as everything else. We don't have instant replay (yet). An real human with his own quirks and shortcomings does the best he can to judge the action. It can be upsetting when you end up with the sharp end of that stick, but it's part of the game.

I'm down with current length games. Extra innings are cool too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or