U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:07 AM

3,738 posts, read 8,682,749 times

Advertisements

How did you feel about him singing the National Anthem? Was it un-American? I was ok with it but apparently others weren't....

http://publicshaming.tumblr.com/post...ican-superstar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 AM

40,824 posts, read 18,553,245 times
He sang "God Bless America" which is not the National Anthem despite what some people may be inclined to think.

In that:
A) There is no need at all for the song
B) It is invoking a theoretical entity to favor one nation over others
C) The singer was born in Puerto Rico and is indeed an American citizen
D) The list of comments expressing outrage on that page are depressingly low brow and simple minded

......so yeah, let us have a huge controversy over this nothing event.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:16 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,607,998 times
I love that these dumb redneck baseball fans are too stupid to realize the irony of being upset at a Hispanic guy singing God Bless America in a league where about 30 percent of the players are Hispanic...

As well as the fact that they can't tell the difference between a Puerto Rican guy born in New York and a Mexican.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 AM

5,221 posts, read 5,086,926 times
"Marc Anthony pray tell, how are things in Rome?"

Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM

21,318 posts, read 21,872,221 times
I didn't read the link or see the performance, which in the internet world makes me highly qualified to offer the following opinion...

very un-american and underscores what's wrong with America, baseball is and always has been America's game (no matter what those Russian commies would have you believe) and America the Beautiful or whatever National Anthem that guy from Paul Revere Raiders was trying to sing, should be treated with more respect and he should be deported back to England along with anyone else that won't take off their hats.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:17 PM

364 posts, read 457,778 times
lol!

Idiots everywhere...

*Disclaimer* There are idiots in every group. These folks with a few missing chromosomes do not represent baseball fans as a whole.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:54 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,411 times
My father just showed me that site the OP provided up above. I read every single one of those Tweets. I can't believe so many people in this country are so racist and completely stupid. Many of those Tweets mention that Marc Anthony is Spanish or Mexican and even a terrorist. Wow. So ignorant. The guy is an American citizen and he's Puerto Rican. LMAO. People like to hide behind their smartphone or computer and spew their garbage. So convenient. The US is circling around the drain.

-Cheers!

Old 07-20-2013, 01:57 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,140,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I love that these dumb redneck baseball fans are too stupid to realize the irony of being upset at a Hispanic guy singing God Bless America in a league where about 30 percent of the players are Hispanic...

As well as the fact that they can't tell the difference between a Puerto Rican guy born in New York and a Mexican.
I bet these same idiots were upset the day before when a Cuban beat out an American from Las Vegas in the Homerun derby.

-Cheers!

Old 07-20-2013, 05:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,196,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
A) There is no need at all for the song
why not? aren't you American?

Old 07-20-2013, 07:58 PM

40,824 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
why not? aren't you American?
Yes, one who believes that it is possible to attend a sporting event without the need for a mass demonstration of the political or religious fidelity of those attending.

If I am incorrect, then you should explain why we can stage operas, ballets, movies, plays, picnics etc., all without requiring affirmations of patriotism or entreaties to theoretical entities, but we cannot do the same when it comes to sporting events.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball