U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 02:00 PM

41,212 posts, read 18,624,767 times

Advertisements

Montreal Expos attendance per year | ExposNation

The above link takes you to a complete list of attendance for all of the Expos' 35 years and compares it to the NL average for each season.

In those 35 seasons, the Expos topped the NL average only six times, once in their second year (1970) and then for five consecutive years, 1979-1983.

The other 29 seasons they drew fewer fans than did the average team. Their last 21 years in Montreal were all below average and you can't blame that on the '94 strike since they were below average for ten consecutive seasons before the walkout.

So, it has been 30 years since Montreal last demonstrated an ability to fill a stadium with baseball fans at an above average rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 05:43 PM

5,933 posts, read 6,568,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEFTIMAGE View Post
Keep in mind the Expos' downfall (early to mid-90s) happened to occur during one of the most depressing periods in that city's modern era. EVERYONE was leaving Montreal in the 90s, not just sports franchises. Add to that the bevy of unfortunate circumstances, from Jeffrey Loria owning the team, to the Olympic stadium's failed nature, and it's not surprise baseball failed THEN.

[Today, Montreal - especially as it pertains to urban revitalization - is doing terrific. People are moving back into the city, not just from out-of-province, but also from the suburbs and nearby towns. Not to much mention most sports franchise owners in Montreal are making money hand over first. The MLS expansion has been a resounding success, our CFL team frequently sells out its' regular-season games and the Montreal Canadiens are just on another level (even on a north American scale). Mad revenues for an arena sport.

Fix the big O, or put a stadium in one of the recently re-vitalized areas of the South-West (Griffintown, Point-Saint-Charles, other) and imo MTL will be ready for a solid MLB franchise.

People seem to forget... this is a city with a fairly huge metro population (4 million) and a bona fide, authentic baseball culture. We play among friends, most large city park have fields. Baseball is honestly a part of Quebecois culture, just often overlooked.

I mean... nothing says baseball like a couple of steamé hot dogs and Labatt 50s on a beautiful summer day
I highlighted two things you said. First, it was about the changes (for the better) in Montreal. As you noted, Montreal suffered during much of the Expos years as Canada's premiere city shot itself in the foot over Quebec separation and the disconnect with Anglo Canadian culture. Toronto, of course, was the beneficiary.

I haven't been in Montreal in years, but my assumption is that not only is it more cosmopolitan today (just as Toronto, Vancouver, and US cities are), but also that it is more mainstream Canadian today, something that might account for the reversal (at one time, Mtl was considered a poor place for immigrants because of the focus on French language and Fr Can culture).

I guess what I'm getting at is this: is a more Canadian (and thus more US related) Montreal more likely to be a hot bed for baseball and, despite what you noted, is that the more salient condition than the support that Quebecois culture might offer?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:49 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,416,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
I highlighted two things you said. First, it was about the changes (for the better) in Montreal. As you noted, Montreal suffered during much of the Expos years as Canada's premiere city shot itself in the foot over Quebec separation and the disconnect with Anglo Canadian culture. Toronto, of course, was the beneficiary.

I haven't been in Montreal in years, but my assumption is that not only is it more cosmopolitan today (just as Toronto, Vancouver, and US cities are), but also that it is more mainstream Canadian today, something that might account for the reversal (at one time, Mtl was considered a poor place for immigrants because of the focus on French language and Fr Can culture).

I guess what I'm getting at is this: is a more Canadian (and thus more US related) Montreal more likely to be a hot bed for baseball and, despite what you noted, is that the more salient condition than the support that Quebecois culture might offer?
Montreal is not more mainstream Canadian today than it was in the 60s, 70s, or 80s. It's actually the contrary that could be argued. What has happened is that Québécois culture has become more mature and open, as opposed to the 1970s in particular when it was more bristling, on edge and in search of itself.

None of this however will necessarily translate into sufficient and consistent support for MLB in the city. As Leftimage said there is a historic baseball culture in the city for sure but you still have a much smaller proportion of the population there following the sport than in any other major metro area in the US or Canada.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM

8,345 posts, read 14,123,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Also, the TV networks hate Canadian teams. Look at NHL regular season coverage on TV networks. Not a single game, all year, involving a Canadian franchise. How often is a Blue Jays game n Fox or NBC or ESPN?
The Toronto Maple Leafs are playing in the NHL's Winter Classic this year, arguably one of the biggest showcase regular season games the NHL puts on. It will be on NBC. Both the Leafs and Montreal Canadians have other games slated for NBC Sports network and NHL-US.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:51 PM

9,071 posts, read 15,071,808 times
After how Expos attendance went, I cannot imagine baseball would be quick to return. Owners would have to see it as a risky market.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:41 PM

14,276 posts, read 24,038,486 times
MLB will NOT return to Montreal. Montreal was well supported by the fans from 1969-85 or so despite having some truly miserable stadium issues.

They suffered from some of the worst baseball management.

They had a great scouting team and an excellent farm system ... but traded all talent when they reached free agent eligibility. The year they had their best team - there was a baseball strike.

Promotions were awful. I have received a lot of promotional items at major and minor league games BUT the Montreal is where I received a electrical outlet cover. And teh next day, they were giving out ... 25 Expos T-shirts.

The ticket office would sell you a ticket on a rainy day ... as you entered the stadium, tehy handed you a flyer saying "no refunds due to rain."

I was at a game with 4,000 fans. The employees at the concessions were prepared. They had 200+ Coca-Colas already drawn out an hour before the game.

It was a third rate organization.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,032,607 times
Baseball probably should not return to Montreal. But here's the question we should be asking ourselves: can someone convince the City or the Province to pay for a stadium? If so, then yes, baseball could return to Montreal.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:20 PM

26 posts, read 47,766 times
You could take a gamble and move the Marlins to Montreal.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:43 PM

3,161 posts, read 2,200,273 times
Montreal had their chance. They didn't support the Expos. They aren't going to support the next team either.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,615,397 times
Montreal's actually a fantastic sports town - it deserves a baseball team. The Expos actually had some incredible talent that came through that organization. It's just too bad that in later years it became a one-team developmental league for other teams to pick free agents from. And these days, unfortunately, modern MLB baseball economics make it difficult to support an argument for a return to Montreal. I'd also say that some current American cities are in danger of losing their teams if they can't support them on a more regular basis, like Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Miami.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or