U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,525,830 times

Advertisements

I have close (Asian immigrant) friends in Montreal -- had some great times there and hope to go back again someday soon. But Montreal doesn't have a fan base sufficient to support an MLB team. The population of the area is something close to 40% foreign-born, and only a portion of that from nations where baseball is part of the culture.

Nevertheless, it's worth noting that the Expos tried very hard to develop their market -- I can recall the French-language broadcasts anchored by (if memory serves me correctly) former MLB pitcher Claude Raymond. And it ought to be remembered that Jackie Robinson spent some time with the old Montreal Royals of the International League before Mr. Rickey brought him up to the Majors.

SO perhaps a revival of baseball at the AAA level in La Belle Provence would be a good starting point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 01:46 PM

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I have close (Asian immigrant) friends in Montreal -- had some great times there and hope to go back again someday soon. But Montreal doesn't have a fan base sufficient to support an MLB team. The population of the area is something close to 40% foreign-born, and only a portion of that from nations where baseball is part of the culture.

Nevertheless, it's worth noting that the Expos tried very hard to develop their market -- I can recall the French-language broadcasts anchored by (if memory serves me correctly) former MLB pitcher Claude Raymond. And it ought to be remembered that Jackie Robinson spent some time with the old Montreal Royals of the International League before Mr. Rickey brought him up to the Majors.

SO perhaps a revival of baseball at the AAA level in La Belle Provence would be a good starting point.
I have to call crap on this. Toronto has an even larger foreign-born population than Montreal. Baseball is still in Toronto. The big issue with Montreal was a bad stadium location, bad ownership, a declining team in general, and the 1994 baseball strike didn't help either. The 1994 Expos were a team of Alou, Grissom, Walker, Martinez, Lansing,etc. After the 1994 strike, alot of players left the team, and the Expos were not the same after that.

Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM

12,351 posts, read 7,525,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I have to call crap on this. Toronto has an even larger foreign-born population than Montreal. Baseball is still in Toronto. The big issue with Montreal was a bad stadium location, bad ownership, a declining team in general, and the 1994 baseball strike didn't help either. The 1994 Expos were a team of Alou, Grissom, Walker, Martinez, Lansing,etc. After the 1994 strike, alot of players left the team, and the Expos were not the same after that.
Toronto does not have a large, native French-speaking/cultured community which is considerably less-inclined to identify with baseball. When that demographic, plus the substantial portion of immigrants from nations where baseball is not played, is factored out, Montreal's market is more in line with cities which are capable of supporting AAA teams, but not a major league franchise.

Toward the end of Montreal's MLB participation, I seem to recall that on a couple of occasions, games were played in Caribbean cities with a strong baseball interest, but no economic base to support a franchise. Given the short Canadian summer, and the former history of baseball in Latin America via the "old" International League, might this be part of a solution?

Also, as an afterthought, prevailing weather conditions would act in favor of this, since fall tends to "linger" when compared to the western provinces, but spring weather comes very late to Atlantic Canada -- it can freeze overnight as late as Memorial Day.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 PM

21,961 posts, read 27,397,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Toronto does not have a large, native French-speaking/cultured community which is considerably less-inclined to identify with baseball. When that demographic, plus the substantial portion of immigrants from nations where baseball is not played, is factored out, Montreal's market is more in line with cities which are capable of supporting AAA teams, but not a major league franchise.
Yeah, that's really it. The ''base'' population in Montreal (for lack of a better term) which is French Canadians, does not have as strong a connection with baseball as the English Canadian ''base'' population in Toronto. This is not to say that French Canadians do not have some baseball culture in their history. It does exist but it is a modest one.

Also the immigration composition in Montreal is not the same as in Toronto, and this also could have an impact. Though I have never studied it enough to know if in Montreal immigrants are less baseball-inclined than those in Toronto, I do notice that there seem to be a lot more sports-minded immigrants in Quebec who completely tune out (North) American sports like baseball and gridiron football than in Ontario.

Of course most don't tune out hockey but it's almost a condition for fitting in in Montreal and Quebec society.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:37 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,159,952 times
I hope Montreal gets another MLB team eventually. MLB, especially Bud Selig, certainly didn't treat the Expos very well when they were in Montreal. Though Montreal was never a great baseball market, for a number of years it was a solid, respectable baseball market, and IMO it can be that way again with solid, committed ownership and a good ballpark.

On a slightly related I've always said the 1994 baseball strike hurt the two Canadian teams, the Expos and Toronto Blue Jays, worse than any other teams. People know about the Expos, but the Blue Jays have never been the same since that strike either. They were arguably the best franchise in baseball from 1983 to 1993.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,279,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Do you think Montreal will get another MLB team?
No.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:58 AM

46,971 posts, read 37,096,665 times
Perhaps Montreal should form a partnership with Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Quebec City, and others, to possibly form a newly-revised Canadian Baseball League. Why not? It doesn't even have to be minor league like it was before. Toronto should also get in on this (by moving their Blue Jays franchise to Nashville or something) and start over with a new team. Montreal and Toronto could even be in the same division if you have a two-division format. As it is, I've never been a big fan of Canada cities in Major League Baseball and there should be more participation here in the States. Moreso than that, the major league players that aren't making it could go over there and find success.

Something like that could work if done correctly.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 AM

48,282 posts, read 45,567,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Perhaps Montreal should form a partnership with Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Quebec City, and others, to possibly form a newly-revised Canadian Baseball League. Why not? It doesn't even have to be minor league like it was before. Toronto should also get in on this (by moving their Blue Jays franchise to Nashville or something) and start over with a new team. Montreal and Toronto could even be in the same division if you have a two-division format. As it is, I've never been a big fan of Canada cities in Major League Baseball and there should be more participation here in the States. Moreso than that, the major league players that aren't making it could go over there and find success.

Something like that could work if done correctly.
Actually, I thought of the cities that should participate. I might even have a new thread about it later.

Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnepeg.
Hamilton, Toronto(2), Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec

Old 08-28-2013, 02:46 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,708,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
I'd also say that some current American cities are in danger of losing their teams if they can't support them on a more regular basis, like Kansas City, Pittsburgh, and Miami.
The Pittsburgh team that's tracking for 2.2 million attendance this year? Those guys?

Old 08-28-2013, 02:56 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,279,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
The Pittsburgh team that's tracking for 2.2 million attendance this year? Those guys?
The team that's still below the league average despite being in a neck-and-neck division race all season and poised to make the post-season for the first time in decades?

Yeah, those guys.

But at least they're not the Rays whose attendance is dead-last despite fielding a competitive team in the toughest division in the league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or