U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:43 AM

46,974 posts, read 37,105,552 times

Advertisements

San Diego, for a last-place team, is pretty respectable at home this season (right now, 31-29).

I see St Louis definitely getting one of the Wild Card entries when it's all said and done (last night's loss to the Chicago Flubs notwithstanding). But you've got to give Pittsburgh credit for the way they've been playing and their great staying power.

And Washington, no doubt, has been an unexpected disappointment. Just hasn't been their year, despite what I still believe is a good, young lineup. The pitching just needs to pick up after Zimmermann.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 03:29 PM

46,974 posts, read 37,105,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Sigh, oh well, the league was overdue for a boring season after the excitement of the 2011-2012 races
Well, I wouldn't completely say that. Just some new things are happening. Every year is a different year, and there's always the unexpected.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,288,226 times
Being an NL Central team fan and someone pulling for the Pirates, this has been a hell of a fun season. Even though my team (Cubs) have been out of the race since about the end of April, they can still impact the outcome so there's still some Cubs games worth watching.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 AM

6,551 posts, read 4,505,106 times
I'm not trying to sound like a homer, but I think the Nationals have 1 last run in them at the Wildcard spot. We have St. Louis & Arizona the final week of the season which is a plus (that's assuming the Dodgers don't collapse) because that'll be 2 teams we'd be chasing and 1 win is a 2 game gain in the standings. From Tuesday until that Stl/Zona trip, we play nothing but NL East teams, and that include only 3 games against the Braves at home and 10 against the Marlins. It's not looking good, but the schedule really helps them for the next 3 weeks. IF they can manage to go 20-6 in that stretch which isn't out of the question (10 vs. Marlins, 7 vs. Mets, 3 vs. Braves, 6 vs. Phillies) that'll leave them at 85-71 heading into that final week. Here's the other challengers schedules:
Reds have 7 left vs. the Cardinals, 6 vs. the Pirates, 3 vs. the Dodgers, and 2 tough road trips: @ Colorado and @ Houston which could trip them up.
Cards have it a lot easier then the Reds: Reds for those aforementioned 7 games, Pirates for 6, Nats for 3, and a trip to Colorado.
Pirates have 6 against the Pirates and Reds, 7 vs. the Cubs who they've struggled against, 3 @ Texas
D'Backs have 7 vs. the Dodgers, 3 vs. the Nats, 7 vs. the Giants (a team they've struggled with), and 3 vs. the Blue Jays (Jays have done well against the NL this year).

The Cardinals have the easiest schedule left of teams on there, so let's have them winning the division. I think each of the Pirates, Reds and D'Backs can play .500 the rest of the season, and let's say the Nats finish the season 23-9 splitting those final 6 games in Arizona and St. Louis. That'll leave them at 88-74. Pirates have 32 games left (let's put them at .500), that gives them a record of 92-70. Reds have 31 games left (let's put them at 15-16) that leaves them at 89-73. D'Backs have 33 games left (let's put them at 18-15), that leaves them at 84-78.

Of all teams in the NL playoff hunt, the Nats have by far the easiest schedule of the bunch and as long as they can beat the East dregs those series with the Cards & D'Backs could have big playoff implications. Not giving up hope until we have a 0% chance at making the playoffs.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM

41,162 posts, read 18,614,349 times
In the two weeks since I started this thread, it has become worse. Arizona is now seven games behind for the wild card. The only post season competition taking place in the NL is among the Cardinals, Pirates and Reds. One of those teams will win the division, the other two will meet in the one game playoff for the 4th spot in the first round.

Arizona has to hope that the Pirates stage another of their late summer collapses as they have the past two seasons. They have shown signs of it, they are 6-10 in their last 16 games.

Old 08-30-2013, 03:46 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,821,128 times
As long as my Cards come out on top, I don't care what the rest of the league does.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:08 PM

72,086 posts, read 83,768,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In the two weeks since I started this thread, it has become worse. Arizona is now seven games behind for the wild card. The only post season competition taking place in the NL is among the Cardinals, Pirates and Reds. One of those teams will win the division, the other two will meet in the one game playoff for the 4th spot in the first round.

Arizona has to hope that the Pirates stage another of their late summer collapses as they have the past two seasons. They have shown signs of it, they are 6-10 in their last 16 games.
They are also 10 games behind the Dodgers, but there is more to excitement that just the number of games one team is behind or ahead. This year sees some new faces and new top teams, that is exciting.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:57 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,505,106 times
Nats gained 2 games on Cinci this week. While they get stuck playing the Cardinals and Dodgers this week, the Nats have the Phillies and Marlins. Hopefully a week from tonight, the deficit is only 3 or 4 games, and then we'll have a race again.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 AM

72,086 posts, read 83,768,361 times
all I can say is: the National league is anything but a snoozer this summer. I guess, for those who aren't happy with the top teams maybe, but for the rest there is a lot of excitement still left this month.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM

13,707 posts, read 8,612,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
all I can say is: the National league is anything but a snoozer this summer. I guess, for those who aren't happy with the top teams maybe, but for the rest there is a lot of excitement still left this month.
Agreed. No one can say for certainty who the wild card teams will be, much less, who will win the one slot.

It's important for the Braves that they retain top seed. They have the best W-L record at home and the worst W-L record (among division leaders) on the road. To improve their chances of a win, they need to be at home.

In any event, even if the NLCS was a snoozer, baseball is a truly great game simply because it is played as a game. I do my best, you do your best, but at the end we're just two guys on a field. I saw Jose Fernandez (Marlins) laugh when Freeman (Braves) slapped his best pitch over the wall, and saw him holler, "What do I have to do to get you out?" when Freeman doubled on his next at bat. Infielders casually chatting with base runners, batters talking to catchers......I love that stuff. to me, that's what makes baseball a great sport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball