U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 10:00 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,499,688 times

Advertisements

Miguel Tejada admitted that he lied about his age, mostly to have a better chance of reaching MLB. I can see how age can make a big difference if a young foreign player has average to slightly above average skills. A 17-year-old dude who hits as well as a 19-year-old dude is probably going to get the call over the 19-year-old. Here's the thing though: Miguel Tejada was not an average or an above average player. He was a phenom who WON THE MVP AWARD in the states. If the scouts really wouldn't have chosen him solely based on his age, that would've been a boner on the levels of Decca rejecting The Beatles. It's kinda unfair that the scouts would favor younger, underdeveloped players over older, better players. I wonder how many potential MVP winners got stuck in DR only because they were older than the scouts would like

Another thing that's kinda bad is that there's a saying in DR "You don't walk your way off the island". I'm pretty sure that's not a good way of teaching baseball players plate discipline. Maybe this is why Robinson Cano, Alfonso Soriano, Adrian Beltre, Edwin Encarnacion, Jose Bautista, and other players from DR had such poor discipline first few years in the majors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 12:43 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,200,353 times
I think the game is way too micro managed now.

There was a thread on here about why modern pitchers are so weak. They can barely get 4 cg's or 230 innings pitched. How did Nolan Ryan throw his 6th and 7th no hitters when he was in 40's 20 years ago? I don't think pitching changes so much in 20 years. The Braves had a wonderful staff then of....Maddux, Avery, Smoltz, Glavine. How do you go from that.....to guys now, who can hardly throw 100 pitches?? It doesn't make any sense.

I think the money has exploded so much, it stifles raw talent. They need to "protect" their investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball