U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2013, 08:50 PM
 
Location: NJ
804 posts, read 1,378,191 times
Reputation: 725

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Baloney. Ichiro recieved plenty of attention in Seattle..it's just that the biased East Coast media didn't pick up on it..They basically ignored him and his accomplishments until he was traded to the Yankees..
That's what I meant to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
Reputation: 14611
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
I love how some people are trying to downgrade the accomplishment because he got 1278 hits in Japan.... they think that he'd have LESS if he played her his entire career when in fact he could probably have MORE....

1278 hits in 7 years in japan (182 hits a year).
2722 hits in 13 years in the U.S (209 hits a year).

Truly remarkable stuff....
I've heard expert say that Japanese baseball is the equivalent of AA baseball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 12:12 PM
 
2,963 posts, read 3,056,541 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
He gets ripped for production and his contract by NY fans.
You'd be hard pressed to find a yankee player that is not ripped for their performance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 12:24 PM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,916,968 times
Reputation: 1519
So what! He cheated. Instead of using PEDs, he played baseball in a league with less talent, a league that is equal to AAA or even AA baseball. Those hits should not and I am glad they dont count. Stop!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2013, 06:08 PM
 
Location: NJ
804 posts, read 1,378,191 times
Reputation: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
So what! He cheated. Instead of using PEDs, he played baseball in a league with less talent, a league that is equal to AAA or even AA baseball. Those hits should not and I am glad they dont count. Stop!!!
Most MLB scouts describe the Pacific League as "AAAA" quality. In other words, play is better than AAA but a notch below the MLB quality of talent. Still, it's a bit egregious to somehow describe the main league in Japan as equal to AA baseball (without a valid source) and then say "he cheated". Seriously? Ichiro is not the one craving the attention or drawing comparisons to the other great players who have played this game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 AM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,702,336 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
I love how some people are trying to downgrade the accomplishment because he got 1278 hits in Japan.... they think that he'd have LESS if he played her his entire career when in fact he could probably have MORE....

1278 hits in 7 years in japan (182 hits a year).
2722 hits in 13 years in the U.S (209 hits a year).

Truly remarkable stuff....
The Japanese league only play 140 games per year, so it's roughly equivalent (actually he'd need 211 hits per year in US to make it equal).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 AM
 
20,976 posts, read 16,268,006 times
Reputation: 10270
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
With all the Arod nonsense going on it's nice to see something POSITIVE happen and to a really, really good and respected ball player.

Last night Ichiro had his 4000th hit in his professional career between Japan and MLB.

I think the #'s are roughly 1230 hits in Japan and 2770 in MLB... only the 3rd of 4th person in history to hit for over 4000 between MLB and "Minor" leagues.

Heck of an accomplishment.... would love to see him get 3000+ in MLB but at his age not sure if he'll stick around to try.

Congrats Ichiro!
Great player.

1230 hits don't count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2013, 06:14 AM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,702,336 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Most MLB scouts describe the Pacific League as "AAAA" quality. In other words, play is better than AAA but a notch below the MLB quality of talent. Still, it's a bit egregious to somehow describe the main league in Japan as equal to AA baseball (without a valid source) and then say "he cheated". Seriously? Ichiro is not the one craving the attention or drawing comparisons to the other great players who have played this game.
actually, it's the entire Nippon Professional Baseball league (Pacific and Central divisions), not just the Pacific you're referring to. Unless you're trying to make a statement about DHs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 01:11 AM
 
Location: NYC
12,918 posts, read 8,751,901 times
Reputation: 14187
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I've heard expert say that Japanese baseball is the equivalent of AA baseball.
Many MLB teams are as bad if not worse than AA teams..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2013, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas, NV
2,761 posts, read 2,368,755 times
Reputation: 4809
LoL... amazing how some of you want to shoot down such an amazing accomplishment... I swear some fans just can't appreciate great things that great players do... and such a classy player like Ichiro.

I understand we're all entitled to our opinions but... god dam...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top