U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:40 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,497,868 times

Advertisements

yeah .... if the NFL and owners wanted it to happen it would happen

Really the only city that could work though at this point is Toronto - which could be the death nail for Buffalo

As for a professional baseball league - there is a history of professional ball in Canada .... however, where it would struggle as an independent league is simply attracting talent

They wouldn't have the ability to draw revenue and subsequently pay & promote players like MLB ...... their weather isn't favorable for a winter or developmental league - so it would have to be in direct competition with the MLB system

If I were a quality player I would be hard pressed to give up MLB affiliation and the path to the majors or even the US college system to go and play professionally in Canada ..... I think their best talent draw would be guys who want to improve their MLB stock but maybe don't want to play collegiately and would rather get paid something

Would be difficult to put together much of a league though

Doesn't mean there couldn't be one or that it couldn't be successful on some level - just that it's foolish to throw away an MLB franchise for one of them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2013, 04:24 PM

48,689 posts, read 45,791,168 times
I stayed away for a time because I thought that this thread might turn into a bash fest. I'm back.

My idea for a prospective league in Canada
West
Vancouver Whales
Calgary Wranglers
Edmonton Drillers
Saskatoon BarnOwls
Regina Lions
Winnipeg Voyageurs.

East
Toronto Bears
Toronto Beavers
Ottawa Capitals
Hamilton Vulcans
Montreal Explorateurs
Quebec Siberiens

*Siberiens is a reference to the siberian tiger.

I was hoping the league could be on par with Korea.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:27 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,577,918 times
A couple of decades ago, Canada had a dozen minor league teams, including places like Medicine Hat and St. Catherines. In the history of organized professional baseball, there have been minor league teams in 70 Canadian cities.

Now it has one. Vancouver, in the short-season Single-A classification.

Plus three more in Independent Leagues: Winnipeg, Quebec and Trois Rivieres.

As for your suggested names, there are three Canadian provinces that have chosen Owls as their provincial bird, and Saskatchewan is not one of them. The Barn Owl does not occur in the northern plains/prairies in its natural range.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-05-2013 at 12:42 PM..

Old 09-05-2013, 12:40 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,497,868 times
Wow ... that is a bit surprising

I remember in the Ken Burns documentary that having an affiliate team in Montreal was one of the aspects that helped Rickey get comfortable with introducing Jackie Robinson there and bringing him into the system

There are a couple of long standing independent / semi-pro leagues in Canada.

The intercounty baseball league
Intercounty Baseball League | Home Page | Pointstreak Sites

and

this more recently founded, French named one in Quebec
Ligue de baseball senior élite du Québec - Accueil

Old 09-05-2013, 12:48 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,577,918 times
In the early '50's, there was an eight-team league, with major league affiliation, in Quebec, called the Provincial League:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...gi?id=12990c91
Gary Bell pitched for Sherbrooke, and went on to win 121 games in MLB.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-05-2013 at 12:59 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM

10,412 posts, read 12,399,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
It would probably be on the same level as the Canadian football league.
Toronto already has an MLB team. How could it support 3 teams? Not even New York does that.
Would Canadians support a baseball league?

Just research why the Expos were a failure and then you realize they like HOCKEY in Canada better than the rest of the sports!

Old 10-01-2013, 11:31 AM

48,689 posts, read 45,791,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Just research why the Expos were a failure and then you realize they like HOCKEY in Canada better than the rest of the sports!
Then why has baseball done well in Toronto?

Old 10-02-2013, 01:09 PM

8,345 posts, read 14,162,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Toronto Bears
Toronto Beavers
Why would Toronto trade its Major League team in for two minor ones?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or