Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to see a real return of doubleheaders?
yes. 5-10 per MLB team would be great. 9 40.91%
maybe a symbolic inclusion; 1 or 2 per team. 9 40.91%
bad idea; nobody will sit through 2 games. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 05:30 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times

Advertisements

Would you like to see a return of the good ol' days in MLB when doubleheaders were fairly regularly scheduled? The proviso here would be that they would have to be profitable for the teams. If that were the case, perhaps each MLB would schedule 5-10 doubleheaders a season.

Would you think that that would be an attraction for fans? Or do you think that in this day and age, nobody would sit through that much baseball in one day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
I love double headers, I do wish we had more of them. I remember as a kid walking to County Stadium for the first one the going home for a little bit then walking back, it was a great time. Bob Uecker was talking about them today on his radio broadcast during game one of today's Milwaukee double header vs the cubs, he mentioned that back in the day that double headers were the norm for Sunday games and Mondays were off days.

I would welcome that in a heart beat. I think people would go but it would depend if you sold both games as one or if they each were separate games. The Cubs Brewers game today is a split billing so they had to kick everyone out even if they had a ticket then re-opened the gate again an hour or so later. Now you would basically sellout the double headers if MLB teams offered them up as two for one, but then they would just end up on the secondary market anyways which might defeat the purpose since the brokers would end up with the all the second game money.

Either way I am all in favor of double headers! nothing better than listening to a game while at work all day then coming home and getting to watch one again!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I love double headers, I do wish we had more of them. I remember as a kid walking to County Stadium for the first one the going home for a little bit then walking back, it was a great time. Bob Uecker was talking about them today on his radio broadcast during game one of today's Milwaukee double header vs the cubs, he mentioned that back in the day that double headers were the norm for Sunday games and Mondays were off days.

I would welcome that in a heart beat. I think people would go but it would depend if you sold both games as one or if they each were separate games. The Cubs Brewers game today is a split billing so they had to kick everyone out even if they had a ticket then re-opened the gate again an hour or so later. Now you would basically sellout the double headers if MLB teams offered them up as two for one, but then they would just end up on the secondary market anyways which might defeat the purpose since the brokers would end up with the all the second game money.

Either way I am all in favor of double headers! nothing better than listening to a game while at work all day then coming home and getting to watch one again!
Let's face it: you'd never have a two-for-one Cubs-Brewer doubleheader at Miller. You know when the 2 play, it would be a full house. I suspect that today, the Cub-Brewer rivalry is great enough that you would never see the Cubs schedule a doubleheader with the Brewers or the Cardinals because those teams will fill the house.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:54 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,212 times
Used to go to Yankee stadium for double headers.First time Charlie Finleys A's came to play they changed uniforms between games from gold to green.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:19 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,098,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Let's face it: you'd never have a two-for-one Cubs-Brewer doubleheader at Miller. You know when the 2 play, it would be a full house.
Normally you'd be right, it's almost a guaranteed sellout with mostly cubs fans. However that changed in 2011 when the Brewers started to be good and the cubs really started to hit the bottom. This year and last year the cubs/brewers games haven't been sellouts which I wish they were and cubs fans aren't coming up here like they used to. Once the cubs get even decent again they'll be back up to buy up all our tickets that we sell them. Yeah you can always count on the stadiums being full when those 3 teams play. Last year a ton of Brewers fans went to Wrigley and when the crowd cheered you didn't know who they were cheering for since it seemed like a 50/50 crowd but it was probably more of a 60/40 split. I love the rivalry between the cubs and the cardinals, even if the Brewers are 161GB I still sit on every pitch when those two teams play.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Normally you'd be right, it's almost a guaranteed sellout with mostly cubs fans. However that changed in 2011 when the Brewers started to be good and the cubs really started to hit the bottom. This year and last year the cubs/brewers games haven't been sellouts which I wish they were and cubs fans aren't coming up here like they used to. Once the cubs get even decent again they'll be back up to buy up all our tickets that we sell them. Yeah you can always count on the stadiums being full when those 3 teams play. Last year a ton of Brewers fans went to Wrigley and when the crowd cheered you didn't know who they were cheering for since it seemed like a 50/50 crowd but it was probably more of a 60/40 split. I love the rivalry between the cubs and the cardinals, even if the Brewers are 161GB I still sit on every pitch when those two teams play.
wait until Pottawatomi's hotel opens; I bet you'll see a lot of people come up for Cubs games and some gambling and the short ride between the two.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:16 PM

364 posts, read 559,877 times
I'd like to vote, but I feel like there should be three or four scheduled per team, and not five plus.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:24 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
I don't think people have enough attention span for 1 game, let alone 2. I love baseball, but going to the park to watch two games? One game is hard enough at times. That is a LOT of baseball in one day.

Since, in my opinion, not enough people would want to watch two games consecutively, they'd need to sell the games separately. Which means they'd have to kick everyone out and start the next game a few hours later. In some stadiums, that would wreak havoc on traffic/parking/etc to be emptying out from one game while people are showing up for the next.

Old 08-02-2013, 10:53 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Yeah, they seemed to work better in the era where games were shorter and had less pitching changes, and you're correct peoples' attention spans have diminished as time goes on. Add to the cut in potential profits, and I don't think we'll see them implemented again as a standard any time soon.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:54 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
While the notion is nice the almighty $ will never allow this again.

Think of all the lost ticket sales and parking fees; just wont happen today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball