Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Derek Jeter hang it up or will he play in 2014?
He'll hang up his spikes and retire. 3 33.33%
He'll be back in 2014 and play ball. 6 66.67%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 08:52 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times

Advertisements

Derek Jeter is out again with another ankle injury; on the DL for the balance of the season.

He's been plagued with injuries since breaking his ankle in the 2012 playoffs, has only played in 17 games this season, and will be 40 next summer.

So, should Derek Jeter hang it up or will he play in 2014?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:03 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Unless he is physically incapable of playing, I would expect to see him back next season. I'm sure that this season isn't what he has in mind for his farewell to baseball. Mariano came back for a more dignified last hurrah, and Jeter will be wanting the same.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Now that they've got Brendan Ryan, they don't need Jeter anymore.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
His player option 2014 is "only" 8M. However, I don't think that will make a difference. If he is able to play, he'll come back. In what capacity, I don't know.

I can't say I quite understand the comment:
Quote:
Now that they've got Brendan Ryan, they don't need Jeter anymore.
His numbers are no better than the random SS the Yankees have had filling in for Jeter. But to be fair, usually you are willing to overlook offensive production in a SS if they are sound defensively. However, I think most Yankee fans are used to their 3000+ hit SS with degraded defensive capabilities.

Old 09-13-2013, 10:02 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post

His numbers are no better than the random SS the Yankees have had filling in for Jeter. But to be fair, usually you are willing to overlook offensive production in a SS if they are sound defensively. However, I think most Yankee fans are used to their 3000+ hit SS with degraded defensive capabilities.
This is not a normal situation where the choice is between which shortstop is the better player, it never is when one of the two is a franchise institution player as is Jeter. The franchise institution player is a two edged sword. A club gets a lot of mileage out of marketing that player as representing all that is virtuous about baseball in general and that club in particular. Brooks Robinson, George Brett, Mike Schmidt, Barry Larkin, Craig Biggio....all franchise institution players.

The bad side arises as the player nears the end of his career, is no longer as valuable in the field and is no longer capable of playing full time. Simultaneously, this player is certain to be overpaid because it is perceived as an ungrateful insult to the franchise institution player to pay him a salary more reflective of his current contributions. Because that player is getting paid so much, because there is a necessity for the club to appear to be treating this player with the special grace he deserves, the normal considerations of..."who will best help us win" gets trampled under all the emotional factors.

As an example, suppose that the Yankees in the off season had acquired the best relief pitcher in baseball, a closer more reliable then Mariano Rivera. They still would have not been able to make that player their closer this season because that would have been an insult to Rivera.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:44 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
All good points.

I'm not trying to stay "Ryan is no Jeter." Well, he isn't, but that is also a comparison that isn't fair. Ryan is a pretty much a replacement level player. They likely could do a little better. It isn't like "all things are solved! Yankee fandom celebrate! Brendan Ryan has donned pinstripes!"

Old 09-17-2013, 10:40 PM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
He'll definitely be back for 2014, it's just a question of how productive will he be. Pretty sure no matter what happens in '14 that will be his last year. I think had he been healthy this year he might've followed his pals Rivera & Pettitte (not officially announced, but pretty sure he's retiring as well) out into the sunset. Rivera would have retired last year had he not torn his ACL in May. The only reason Mo played in 2013 was he didn't want that ACL injury to end his career. I see the ankle/thing/other assortment of injuries to Derek being the same exact reason Jeter comes back for 2014.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:43 PM

Ryan's actually a better defender of the 2. If he wasn't Derek Jeter, I'd suggest keeping Ryan around next year to replace Jeter as a late-inning defense replacement.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:03 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Jeter will be the highest paid bench player in 2014. By playing he's hurting the team. It also worth noting the Yanks does not have any top prospect at the SS position.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Jeter will be the highest paid bench player in 2014. By playing he's hurting the team. It also worth noting the Yanks does not have any top prospect at the SS position.

Why should they?? Why would they draft a highly touted or even a mid-level prospect and have him rot in the minors because he has no where to play?? Why do you think the Patriots haven't drafted any high caliber QB's?? Sure there is a chance Tom Brady could get injured, but it's highly likely he'll play every game, and almost every down during the season, so that high caliber QB they wasted with a high draft pick, that could've been used elsewhere, as an insurance premium in case Brady gets hurt, now rots away on the bench with a headset & a clipboard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball