U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:42 PM

19,394 posts, read 17,100,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Would you take the Braves-please!! They are the most boring baseball team I've ever seen, and I've watched them since '69.
No, thank you. The Braves are fine in Atlanta. I want a team closer that actually wins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Other than Tampa Bay, who would move to Charlotte?

I don't see MLB expanding to 32 teams, although that would open up many possibilities (including not having to play interleague all year). There's too much talent dilution as it is. But I suppose if they were to do so, the Charlotte would join Portland as a top candidate.
No one is relocating. Major League Baseball has not expanded in 17 years. The talent is not as diluted as some think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 11:11 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,641,256 times
Quote:

I don't see MLB expanding to 32 teams, although that would open up many possibilities (including not having to play interleague all year). There's too much talent dilution as it is. But I suppose if they were to do so, the Charlotte would join Portland as a top candidate.
The Tampa Bay franchise needs to move somewhere, be it Charlotte, Portland, San Antonio or wherever. They couldn't fare any worse than where they are at present. There is great fan support in Florida but most of this support is for the New York and Chicago clubs. The greatest baseball excitement that ever existed in Tampa Bay occurred some years ago when it appeared that the White Sox might be moving there.

Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 AM

1,477 posts, read 1,879,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I don't know but doesn't the triangle have a big transient population? sports and transient populations don't mix plus isn't NC and SC a minor league baseball hot bed area?
Not to my knowledge. The Triangle's rapidly growing but it's not the same sort of transient population as, say, Las Vegas. Lots of tech, pharma, and biotech jobs out here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I visit the thread a year later upon the conclusion of what will be a disappointing Braves season.

Both states of North Carolina and South Carolina are big into baseball. Many baseball prospects are being discovered here. Several collegiate programs (Clemson, North Carolina, South Carolina) are consistently hosting regionals and super regionals and advancing to the College World Series in Omaha, Nebraska.

It would be a good time to consider expanding Major League Baseball into the Carolinas. Having a team to quickly build into a contender and compete against the struggling mainstay in the Braves would be a statement. Whether MLB is ready to add an American League team remains to be seen.
Speaking just of professional baseball, leaving college ball and college summer leagues out of it, the Carolinas are/will soon be home to 13 teams at all level of affiliated minor league ball except for Double-A and Short Season A:

AAA
Charlotte Knights (White Sox)
Durham Bulls (Rays)

Advanced-A
Carolina Mudcats (currently Indians, looking for new affiliate)
Myrtle Beach Pelicans (currently Rangers, looking for new affiliate)
Winston-Salem Dash (White Sox)

Low-A
Asheville Tourists (Rockies)
Augusta Greenjackets (Giants) (New stadium being built in N. Augusta, SC)
Charleston Riverdogs (Yankees)
Columbia ??? (Mets) (Relo of Savannah Sandgnats in 2016)
Greensboro Grasshoppers (Marlins)
Hickory Crawdads (Rangers)
Kannapolis Intimidators (White Sox)

Rookie
Burlington Royals (Royals)

When you add in college ball, you have teams like USC, UNC, NC State, and Coastal Carolina, and the Carolinas are also the headquarters of the summer collegiate Coastal Plains League with 11 teams in the Carolinas. I'd call that a hotbed.

Quote:

I'm not so sure Charlotte is the shoe-in it once was when they were playing in Knights Stadium in Fort Mill, SC. Knights Stadium was designed to be easily converted into an MLB park and had the acres of parking deemed necessary for that back in the early-mid '90s. However, Knights Stadium has been replaced with a (beautiful) new park in uptown Charlotte that I don't think was designed to be expandable. It seats 10,000 and I suppose something could be done to expand it out, but I think the Charlotte market is stretched a little thin between the NFL, NBA, NASCAR, and AHL hockey. Beyond that, there's a team in NC that already comes with a ton of market cachet, a name that's already on everybody's tongue, and owned by a man who also owns three TV stations and nine radio stations - the Durham Bulls. I think if MLB ever comes to NC (which I honestly don't think is likely in the short term), the Triangle is more likely to get the nod than Metrolina. It'd be something of a coup for a market to go from Advanced-A to AAA to MLB in 30ish years.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,641,256 times
Some years ago when Carl Pohlad wanted to move the Twins to the Triad (Greensboro-High Point-Winston-Salem) the voters said no to financing a new stadium.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or