U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 06:04 PM

20,950 posts, read 39,320,807 times

Advertisements

Dodgers just lost 2 straight games to the Cardinals in St Louis, and IMO they pretty much beat themselves.

In game one I think Ethier should've caught Beltran's fly ball to the wall; it seemed catchable to me. If Ethier had made that catch the game would've ended 2-0 Dodgers, but it got past Ethier's glove and went for a double that scored two runs to tie the game. In the 10th inning Dodger Mark Ellis tripled then tried to score on a shallow popup to right and with Beltran's throw to the plate Ellis was out by a mile. Ouch. In the 11th Dodgers had runners on 1st and 2nd but couldn't score. Ouch. In the 12th Dodgers again had runners on 1st and 2nd but couldn't score. Ouch.

In game two, Dodgers only gave up 2 hits to St Louis, losing 1-0 on an unearned run due to a passed ball. The Dodgers had their chances to scored but didn't. In the top of the 6th Dodgers loaded the bases but both Puig and Uribe struck out. Ouch. In the 7th, Dodger Nick Punto singled then got to 3rd base on two successive wild pitches, but was stranded there. Ouch.

IMO the Dodgers are as much at fault for losing these games as St Louis is to be applauded for winning them, but what matters is that St Louis is 2-0 in this best of seven series. Seems that Puig was trying too hard to murder the ball and ended up whiffing FOUR times in game two (9 innings) and twice in game one (13 innings).

Looking forward to the Boston - Detroit game tonight, which is about to start in 5 minutes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM

8,488 posts, read 10,515,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Dodgers just lost 2 straight games to the Cardinals in St Louis, and IMO they pretty much beat themselves.

In game one I think Ethier should've caught Beltran's fly ball to the wall; it seemed catchable to me. If Ethier had made that catch the game would've ended 2-0 Dodgers, but it got past Ethier's glove and went for a double that scored two runs to tie the game. In the 10th inning Dodger Mark Ellis tripled then tried to score on a shallow popup to right and with Beltran's throw to the plate Ellis was out by a mile. Ouch. In the 11th Dodgers had runners on 1st and 2nd but couldn't score. Ouch. In the 12th Dodgers again had runners on 1st and 2nd but couldn't score. Ouch.

In game two, Dodgers only gave up 2 hits to St Louis, losing 1-0 on an unearned run due to a passed ball. The Dodgers had their chances to scored but didn't. In the top of the 6th Dodgers loaded the bases but both Puig and Uribe struck out. Ouch. In the 7th, Dodger Nick Punto singled then got to 3rd base on two successive wild pitches, but was stranded there. Ouch.

IMO the Dodgers are as much at fault for losing these games as St Louis is to be applauded for winning them, but what matters is that St Louis is 2-0 in this best of seven series. Seems that Puig was trying too hard to murder the ball and ended up whiffing FOUR times in game two (9 innings) and twice in game one (13 innings).

Looking forward to the Boston - Detroit game tonight, which is about to start in 5 minutes.
St. Louis seems to always find a way to win big games.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
... Last night when the dodgers had a man on 3rd with 1 out, I would have safety squeezed the run in instead the tried to run on the cannon in left field.
Aren't you talking about Beltran in Right Field?

Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

7,853 posts, read 19,634,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Aren't you talking about Beltran in Right Field?
Sorry meant right field.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:36 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,524,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I will definitely be rooting for any team that goes against the Cardinals. They are starting to turn into the Yankees of the National League.
The Cardinals payroll is the lowest of the four teams still in the running, and about half the Yankees payroll. 17 players on their 25 man roster were originally drafted by the Cardinals. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
St. Louis seems to always find a way to win big games.
If you were a Cardinals fan, you'd be able to think of a lot of them that they didn't. Like game 5, 6 or 7 against the Giants a year ago. And all those playoffs they lost during the LaRussa years.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-12-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 10-12-2013, 10:17 PM

It was the Cardinals first 1-0 win of the season, but for the Tigers, their third in 31 days.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:31 AM

8,488 posts, read 10,515,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Cardinals payroll is the lowest of the four teams still in the running, and about half the Yankees payroll. 17 players on their 25 man roster were originally drafted by the Cardinals. So I'm not sure what you are talking about.
It's not so much about the payroll, it's more about them winning World Series Titles. They have 11 World Series Titles and 18 NL Pennants which is extremely impressive. Just so that there's no confusion, I'm not a Yankees fan. In fact I'm a Phillies fan and I can't stand the Yankees(or any other New York team for that matter).

Old 10-13-2013, 08:05 AM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,888,395 times
On the lighter side, Sanchez of the Tigers struck out four batters in one inning last night. Wild pitch on a swinging third strike.....safe at first.

The last time that happened in post season play?

Cubs vs. Tigers in the 1908 World Series.

My Tigers have a great pitching staff, but I'm concerned that Boston can score in a football kind of way at any time.

Especially at Fenway.

Go Tigers!

But I win any way it ends up.....Boston is my second favorite team.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:45 AM

Broke my heart to see that no hitter broken up in the 9th inning.

Both Saturday games were 1-0 squeakers with Detroit besting Boston and St Louis topping Los Angeles.

They say that good pitching stops good hitting and it seems we saw that yesterday.

Detroit's two best pitchers are yet to play. Detroit's Max Scherzer is 21-3 with a 2.90 ERA and pitches today against Boston's Clay Buchholz who's 12-1 with a 1.74 ERA. On Tuesday we'll see Justin Verlander on the mound for Detroit against Boston's John Lackey.

Should be another pitcher's duel today in Boston, but nothing is certain in Fenway Park.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:58 AM

The Dodgers will face an opponent in the WS that they have never faced before, or the Cardinals will try to make it 3 out of 4 WS wins against their opponent -- Regardless of who wins the ALCS. Odd coincidence.

That Tigers - Red Sox game last night was one the most surreal game's I've ever seen. It was like it was played in some curved dimension in another universe.

The Cards - Dodgers game was just a travesty. The announcers did a play-by-play of why games should never be played at 4 pm in October. They referenced the light after every pitch. The umpires should have called the game and delayed it until there were playable field conditions, the same as they do when it is raining.

There is an old minor league ballpark in Pittsfield, Massachusetts (Wyconah Field) , that is laid out the wrong way, and for decades, the umpires have delayed the game when sun conditions were at their extreme. And now the geniuses at Selig-League Baseball intentionally schedule games for conditions that are just as bad, for which the stadiums have not been designed. God did not make the sun shine on the field that way during the game, Selig did. Or, God did it under Selig's moronic command.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-13-2013 at 12:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball