U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2013, 09:57 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times

Advertisements

There was something remarkable and possibly meaningful about the Cardinals pitching in the post season Only twice did the Dodgers ever get two run-scoring at-bats in the same inning. And of their four homers, there was a total of only one man on base.

In the Pirates series, they had only two innings in which there were two productive ABs. That's a total of four innings out of eleven games in which there were two run-producing hits, without ever a 3-run inning.

Including the last eight games of the regular season, Cardinal pitching has now gone 19 straight games without a number bigger than 2 going up on the scoreboard. In that same span of 19 games, the Red Sox have had 13 innings in which they scored 3 or more.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2013 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 10:56 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
In the Pirates series, they had only two innings in which there were two productive ABs. That's a total of four innings out of eleven games in which there were two run-producing hits, without ever a 3-run inning.
Does this matter all that much? The Pirates had four innings where they scored two runs in their wins. They only scored one in each of their three losses - 2 to Waino, 1 to Wacha. They beat Lynn rather handily and took care of the bullpen in Kelly's start. They are susceptible to the HR.

So I attribute the Cards overall pitching success primarily to Waino & Wacha. And the Dodgers not having Pedro Alvarez.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Does this matter all that much? The Pirates had four innings where they scored two runs in their wins. They only scored one in each of their three losses - 2 to Waino, 1 to Wacha. They beat Lynn rather handily and took care of the bullpen in Kelly's start. They are susceptible to the HR.

So I attribute the Cards overall pitching success primarily to Waino & Wacha. And the Dodgers not having Pedro Alvarez.

I think it matters if you can consistently keep from being taken out of the ball game with a big crooked number.

Old 10-20-2013, 12:54 PM

20,900 posts, read 39,168,910 times
Last night it seemed Detroit beat itself, two ways. One way was bad base running: Jackson picked off at first; Fielder stopping halfway to home plate with a deer in the headlights moment that resulted in a double play. The other way was with bad fielding where an error by shortstop Iglesias that should've been a double play ended up loading the bases for Victorino's grand slam that crushed the Tigers.

Back in post one, before the playoffs started, my best swag was Boston and St Louis in the World Series. So far so good.

I pick St Louis to win the World Series; no special reason, though St Louis burns to erase the ghost of losing 4 straight to Boston in the 2004 Series.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-20-2013, 03:42 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,736,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
Because they do everything right. Cardinals are Mr. Perfect right now; perfectly get production from otherwise washed up players (think Berkman and Beltran), have a perfect farm system, perfect pitching staff, and have a perfect array of young players.

Cardinals are like the guy at work who has infinite energy, amazing hair, 4.0 GPA, speaks ten languages, runs weekly marathons, is loved by the supervisor, and constantly giving everyone suggestions on how they can improve their work ethic. On one hand the guy didn't do anything wrong, but on the other hand he's so perfect that you just f*cking hate him. The Cardinals have become this guy
And their lawns have always just been mowed. Say bye-bye to Beltran. He's moving to the Bronx.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:50 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
I find it interesting that the Cards, just two seasons after losing Pujols, are back in the World Series with a 1st base replacment who was a 23rd round draft pick four years ago out of Slippery Rock University.

Likewise, I find it interesting the Red Sox are in the series just the next season after the massive salary dump of Adrian Gonzalez, Carl Crawford and Josh Beckett to the Dodgers for nothing (at least this season).

Old 10-20-2013, 06:02 PM

It's 8-pm-et. What are we supposed to do tonight? This is worse then the Allstar break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I find it interesting that the Cards, just two seasons after losing Pujols, are back in the World Series with a 1st base replacment who was a 23rd round draft pick four years ago out of Slippery Rock University.
I was thinking the other day about Adams. Three years ago, he was a one-dimensional first baseman playing Single-A ball in Davenport, Iowa, in the organziation that had Albert Pujols. Then this spring he was a ODFB on the team that had Allen Craig with 97 RBIs in August. I wonder what he thought his chances were of being the cleanup hitter in the World Series that soon.

I had never thought much of him, seemed like another Steve Bilko to me, but he has very quick feet and sure hands around 1B, and I see nothing deficient about his baserunning. I doubt if Craig will ever play first again, probably replace Beltran whose contract is up. Adams and Bilki grew up about 140 miles apart. You'd have to have been a Cards fan int he 1950's to fully appreciate Bilko.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-20-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 10-21-2013, 10:10 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,803,102 times
While discussing the Cards first base situation (Bilko was before my time though, I start with Bill White), it is interesting to note their low draft positions:

Pujols was a 13th round pick in 1999

Craig was an 8th round pick in 2006

Adams was a 23rd round pick in 2009

And while I'm on this "players coming out of nowhere" mindset, it is interesting that superstar Matt Carpenter was a 13th round pick in 2009. Considering that Shelby Miller was the first pick in 2009, that was one hell of a great draft for the Cardinals.

Old 10-21-2013, 02:48 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,698,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
While discussing the Cards first base situation (Bilko was before my time though, I start with Bill White), it is interesting to note their low draft positions:

Pujols was a 13th round pick in 1999

Craig was an 8th round pick in 2006

Adams was a 23rd round pick in 2009

And while I'm on this "players coming out of nowhere" mindset, it is interesting that superstar Matt Carpenter was a 13th round pick in 2009. Considering that Shelby Miller was the first pick in 2009, that was one hell of a great draft for the Cardinals.
Year Player Round/Pick
2000: Molina (4/113)
2005: [On DL: Boggs (5/170), Garcia (22/680)]
2006: Jay (2/74), Robinson (5/166), Craig (8/256)
2007: Kozma (1/18), DeScalso (3/112), Cruz (26/802), Chambers (38/1153)
2008: Lynn (1/39), Siegrist (41/1235)
2009: Miller (1/19), Kelly (3/98), M. Carpenter (13/359), Rosenthal (21/639), Adams (23/699)
2010: nothing yet
2011: Wong (1/22), Maness (11/350)
2012: Wacha (1/19)

Assuming Craig plays in WS, that's 18 homegrown products playing this postseason (and 2 on DL) - a phenomenal number, especially given half were drafted 5th round or later. And that's not counting guys they drafted like Rasmus and Greene whom they converted into other assets.

Old 10-22-2013, 07:35 AM

Here's an amazing piece of Cardinals WS trivia that I discovered, that I've never seen mentioned anywhere else. The 1946 Cardinals won the World Series without one single player who did not come up through their own system. There wasn't one player on the WS roster who had ever played a single game in a uniform without birds on the bat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball