U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,709,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Allen Craig was primarily a third baseman in the minors, and has played four MLB games at third. For game 5, which is a must-win game for the Cards (even if t hey win game 4), I'd use Craig at third, then back in Boston, Robinson as in LF, Holliday as DH. Even if Craig is still slowed by his ankle, Freese just can't be kept in there. Or at least, Descalso at third and Kozma at short.

Yes, I know, eventually Freese is going to get hold of one, but how long can you wait? On the season, Freeses sluggin gaverage was only .015 higher than Descalso.

You don't want Craig on the field at all. He has no mobility right now and would be a liability against the bunt at either corner. Leave Freese where he is. Freese hurt the Pirates just two weeks ago. Besides Craig appears to be more than capable of coming off the bench on one leg and producing whether as DH or PH. Now Descalso over Kozma is something worth considering.

Besides, Cards have Waino at home, where he's sub 1 WHIP vs. Lester's 1.38 on the road. Gotta like Cards chances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 06:44 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
I've argued here in the past about the value of experience. Just the inning before, the Red Sox were nearly burned by a rookie mistake, when Bogaerts threw wild to first with Molina still a full three steps from the bag. In the Dodger series I questioned whether they'd rather have Schumaker, Punto and Laird on the bench, rather than Chambers, Wong and Cruz.

For what it's worth, Wong getting picked off, as boneheaded as it was, changed the Red Sox Win Expectancy from 96% to 100%, a differential that is not the end of the world. One wonders where the first base coach was -- that's what he's there for.. The Sox scored the tying run the night before when Wong was unable to start a double play, but I have no idea whether Carpenter at second would have handled that ball any better than that, it wasn't a routine play.

The Cardinals have now failed to deliver in six consecutive chances with a runner on third and less than two out. I wonder if that is a record for postseason, for major league, for minor league, for little league, for a league of their own, for Hanseatic League. Maybe it's time for Matheny to get out the squeeze. Or any other bunt, when he has hitters like Freese and Kozma at the plate with a couple of runners on base. Matheny needs to think like he has three pitchers at the bottom of the batting order.

If Craig is out of the question at third, I might consider Wong at second, moving Carpenter to third, his normal position. Wong is good defensively, no worse than Freese at the plate, a base-running threat, and a good bunter, and today is about two years more experienced than he was at this time yesterday.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-28-2013 at 07:07 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 09:07 AM

10,262 posts, read 12,294,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Why_Nobody_Watches_The_World_Series_

Keith details the slow decline of World Series viewership from 1971, when Game 7 was watched in 37 million American households, to 2013, when the Series will be lucky to get 10 million households a game.

I cannot believe I am going to say this but I agree with Keith, yes I cannot stand him on politics but sports wise I think he is very good. So what do you think of why WS ratings are down?

Too many people in this country would rather watch made up fake reality shows than something real, it says a lot about us.

There is a stat in the video that 70% of football fans will watch a football game without their team and only 50% of baseball fans will watch a game not involving their team.

Be fair, 1971 you had 12 channels on your TV and the economy was in a slump!

Today kids have more entertainment on their telephones than they had in the whole house in 1971!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Once the series is over I'm not gonna miss endless closeups of Jonny Gomes forever twerking his batting helmet and fidgeting with his gloves. Isn't there something else for the camera to capture between pitches?

He definitely has his "twerks"............Farrell always felt he contributes "intangibles" to the game despite his 0-9 post season average and it definitely happened last night with that home run!

Old 10-28-2013, 09:19 AM

I would say the last two games could have gone either way.........and they did with 1 win each!

St Louis has to be nervous at their last home game and Wainwright has to be thinking about his "bad news bears" performance in game 1!

Freese is terrible at bat but then again Drew is awful as well but his fielding makes up for it. Drew has to be laughing in bed every night thinking about his World Series hit that dropped at Wainwright's feet while he was looking at Molina! In hindsight they should have kept Iglesias and put him in Drew's spot.

I just wish the games started earlier, 8 oclock starts are making for some late nights!

Sox have had some of their best performances with 2 outs, behind on the scoreboard so I suspect they will pull out the wins needed to win the World Series this year.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,614,240 times
I hate to say it but the Sox have been more impressive than the Cards, if only slightly so. I think the Series will probably come down to which team makes the fewest mistakes, as that has been the determinant of the outcomes thus far. The edge goes to the veteran team in this case, but you never know. Maybe the Cardinals would almost prefer to play down 3-2 going to Fenway. Sometimes the pressure of expectations is greater than the pressure of losing.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:17 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,709,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
St Louis has to be nervous at their last home game and Wainwright has to be thinking about his "bad news bears" performance in game 1!
Waino is considerably better at Busch than on the road despite the 9-6 record, which is mostly due to lack of run support. Lester's splits are similar - pedestrian on the road. If the Cards can score three, I'd put tonight in the win column.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:11 AM

20,923 posts, read 39,233,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
...I just wish the games started earlier, 8 oclock starts are making for some late nights!...
That's one of the things I love about living in COLO, these games start at 6PM. On Sundays, the NFL starts here at 11AM (1PM back east) and we can watch 3 games without staying up all that late as the Sunday night games are usually over in time for the 10PM news.

Meanwhile, last night's Cardinal loss contains the irony of their speediest runner being picked off of first base. Simply an amazing Series so far. Tonight's winner will end up in the catbird seat with a 3-2 lead.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:24 AM

41,172 posts, read 18,614,349 times
Obstruction play at third, picked off first....this series could become famous for being the one with the most bizarre endings. We still have three games to go and we don't want to repeat the earlier oddities, so what sort of endings do we need for the next three games?

Winning run forced in when batter is awarded firstbase on catcher's interference?

Apparent walk off home run strikes bird a few feet from the outfield wall and is caught?

Batter hits apparent walk off home run but is ruled out for passing teammate on basepath while trotting it out?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:07 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,356,272 times
A few questiokns:

1. How much money does a first base coach make?
A - Too much.
B - Way too much.

2. The first base coach's job is to say what to the base runner?
A - "Atta boy"
B - "Kolten, my son, do you speak English? Good. I want you to stand here with both heels planted firmly on the center of this base. If you so much as adjust your cup, you will wake up with a horse's head in your bed. See that man over there with a bat? If he starts running this way, I want you to go like hell toward that base over there by the little guy with a beard, and dump him on his ass if he gets in your way. Then go and see my colleague, Mr. Oquendo. He will make you another offer that you can't refuse."

Last edited by jtur88; 10-28-2013 at 12:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball