U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-04-2013, 04:07 AM
 
4,749 posts, read 3,611,713 times
Reputation: 3225

Advertisements

Dodgers looked pretty wicked last night. My Redbirds had a pretty good performance, too, but watching Kershaw deal last night gave me the shivers. A left hander with velocity and great command of his movement and speeds is going to be an extremely tough pitcher to defeat. Grienke and Ryu are also good, but Kershaw, if he's on, is almost unbeatable. He's good for at least two wins in every series they play in. You figure Grienke and Ryu are capable of splitting the rest of their starts, and there you have it: Dodgers the odds-on favorites to win the WS championship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-04-2013, 05:19 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You argue that we are suffering from a surfeit of post season games, yet complain bitterly when one of them isn't televised.
I complain about the principle that we are led by the nose to believe that all these trinket games being dangled before us are essential to a valid end result, only to learn in the end what the manipulators knew all along, that Family Guy reruns are of greater commercial value. The games exist for no other reason than pure greed, and then there is no lucre. (My cable listing now, 6 hours before air time, has updated information. At the moment, it seem that Family Guy has been pre-empted on TBS by another gripping episode of "To Be Announced". The content of the commercial breaks has been locked in, only the incidental filler programming remains to be determined. Apparently, the non-telecast of the game has caught TBS by surprise, just like the rest of the audience.)

More specifically, I complain that MLB properties sells a subscription on the false pretext that games can be viewed, and then puts the games on another MLB property, and reneges on those with the prior subscription whose contract has been thus breached. (Whether or not I am one of them is not germane to the principle.)

I understand that bars in St. Louis and Pittsburgh which have Dish Satellite (the only way to see MLB Network) are gouging customers for cover charges or bar minimums to come in and watch the games. I can only imagine what Pittsburgh fans are saying (I am not one of them, but I disgrunt on their behalf), after waiting a generation to get into post season, and then MLB tells them they can listen to the game on the radio.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-04-2013 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 07:43 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,113 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Reputation: 18730
jtur88
Quote:
I complain about the principle that we are led by the nose to believe that all these trinket games being dangled before us are essential to a valid end result, only to learn in the end what the manipulators knew all along, that Family Guy reruns are of greater commercial value.
I do not recall the expansion of the post season being marketed as "essential to the final result" as in the idea that previous results with fewer games were somehow less valid due to not enough teams and games.



Quote:
The games exist for no other reason than pure greed, and then there is no lucre.
What private business exists for any reason other than earning money? Baseball is a game, MLB is a business.

Quote:
More specifically, I complain that MLB properties sells a subscription on the false pretext that games can be viewed, and then puts the games on another MLB property, and reneges on those with the prior subscription whose contract has been thus breached. (Whether or not I am one of them is not germane to the principle.)
I do not know the specifics of these contracts but I would think that somewhere in the contract you signed or agreed to online or whatever, is language which explains that you will not be receiving certain games. If they truly did lead customers to believe that they would be receiving all games, and then reneged on that, they could be sued into oblivion. Since they aren't being sued into oblivion, I'm guessing that the language is there somewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
2,533 posts, read 3,959,300 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
going to be tough. If the series goes 5 it means the Braves will face Kershaw twice.
After last night all I can say is man... I hope not. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Including the tie breaker, the wild card games and the first two division series games, we have had scores of:
5-2
6-2
4-0
9-1
6-1

The winners have stomped the losers by a collective 30-6.
Braves looked horrible last night... offensively and defensively. I guess I shouldn't be surprised though... the fact they were dominant all season, especially at home, and then lay an egg in the postseason.

Such is life being a fan of Atlanta teams...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,316,376 times
Reputation: 36087
MLB.com is now refusing to answer the telephone. At 11:45 AM EDT, I phoned the number on their website, and got a message telling me to call back "during business hours" reciting their e-mail address and thanking me for calling. beepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeepbeep

What bastards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post


I do not know the specifics of these contracts but I would think that somewhere in the contract you signed or agreed to online or whatever, is language which explains that you will not be receiving certain games. If they truly did lead customers to believe that they would be receiving all games, and then reneged on that, they could be sued into oblivion. Since they aren't being sued into oblivion, I'm guessing that the language is there somewhere.
It explains blackouts, I know what blackouts are, and I know (and grudgingly accept as a term of agreement) the justification for them. But the blackouts are forced on them by contracts with other parties (broadcast networks), which enforce the blackouts. However, in this case, there is no other party, MLB is simply internally shunting access from one MLB property to another one, within the entire purview of MLB, with no other party's interests or contractual terms being involved in their decision. And then denying subscribers access, by the simple expedient of switching to another source which they also fully own and control. It's like an airline saying they are not going to fly that plane to Chicago, they are flying a different plane to Chicago, and then making all ticketed passengers buy another ticket for that plane. I have a contract with MLB to afford me access to that game, unless a circumstance beyond their control (such as a third party agreement) supersedes that contract. There is no third party agreement to stipulate a blackout, all changes are fully within the control of the contractee, who is reneging...

Last edited by jtur88; 10-04-2013 at 10:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 10:05 AM
 
Location: Springfield, Ohio
12,201 posts, read 10,429,763 times
Reputation: 11220
With all their crybaby antics the past couple of months, including bullying rookies from last place teams, it's pretty satisfying to see the Braves getting stomped in these playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,113 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Reputation: 18730
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a contract with MLB to afford me access to that game, unless a circumstance beyond their control (such as a third party agreement) supersedes that contract. There is no third party agreement to stipulate a blackout, all changes are fully within the control of the contractee, who is reneging...
If the contract language specified "unless a circumstance beyond their control" intervened, then they would be in breach and you may sue them. I suspect that the language which permits them to do what they are doing is found in the contract. The contract would have been crafted by a battery of highly paid attorneys whose job was to anticipate all possible ways that they could be sued for breach and write the contract in such a way as to circumvent such lawsuits.

My guess, and I think that you recognize this as well, is that the reason TBS isn't carrying the Cardinals-Pirates game is that they anticipate it being a rating flop because of the early hour. It is underway now and it is only 10 am here on the west coast. Baseball at 10 am does not get watched by many people.

On the east coast it is 1 pm on a Friday and kids are still in school, fans are still at work, baseball would be competing with programming aimed at the people who are actually home and watching tv at this time which is mostly mothers with little kids. There would not be a lot of people out there who would be watching. A smaller audience means that they have to charge less for the advertising, so instead of baseball, they are running much cheaper programming. It takes a large crew of technicians to cover a baseball game, it takes one guy pushing a button to air a sit com rerun.

I would remind you that in the past you have written about your dislike of nighttime playoff games. Well, you've got one in daylight today and you are reaping the consequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Seattle, Washington
2,533 posts, read 3,959,300 times
Reputation: 2816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
With all their crybaby antics the past couple of months, including bullying rookies from last place teams, it's pretty satisfying to see the Braves getting stomped in these playoffs.
I missed all that... didn't watch a single Braves game this year. It's hard to do that being out here unless I get MLB.TV...

Still, been a fan for years even though I haven't seen them much since I left GA for WA a couple years ago...

They looked bad last night... but in the end it was just 1 game. They must win tonight though. Go Braves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,113 posts, read 18,595,226 times
Reputation: 18730
And another non competitive game, Pirates win 7-1, making it 37-7 for the winners of these first six games.

And jtur...for all your protesting you only missed seeing your Cardinals get the petunias stomped out of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,551 posts, read 4,499,759 times
Reputation: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Dodgers looked pretty wicked last night. My Redbirds had a pretty good performance, too, but watching Kershaw deal last night gave me the shivers. A left hander with velocity and great command of his movement and speeds is going to be an extremely tough pitcher to defeat. Grienke and Ryu are also good, but Kershaw, if he's on, is almost unbeatable. He's good for at least two wins in every series they play in. You figure Grienke and Ryu are capable of splitting the rest of their starts, and there you have it: Dodgers the odds-on favorites to win the WS championship.
Ricky Nolasco ain't no slouch either. I'd love to see the Tigers Dodgers in the World Series. 2 excellent starting staffs vs. 2 great offensive teams. Pitching does win championships, but only 1 of those teams could win, but getting runs off the opposing pitchers staff will be extremely tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top