U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2013, 04:06 PM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
And another non competitive game, Pirates win 7-1, making it 37-7 for the winners of these first six games.

And jtur...for all your protesting you only missed seeing your Cardinals get the petunias stomped out of them.

And the Red Sox are winning 8-2 in the 8th inning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2013, 04:57 PM

40,823 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
And the Red Sox are winning 8-2 in the 8th inning.
Final 12-2. So it is winners 49, losers 9.

Dodgers and Braves are tied at 1 in the third, we may have our first competitive game.

Old 10-04-2013, 11:24 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,952,882 times
Braves win! 4-3! On to LA!

Braves looked much better tonight... Heyward's hit was soooo clutch.

If the Braves can figure out how to get Ramirez out they'll take the series in 4.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 AM

12,193 posts, read 10,407,297 times
A's batters, save Cespedes & Crisp, looked completely clueless against Scherzer last night. If they can't gain some confidence against Verlander today, they won't have the luxury of a trademark Game Five loss.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:46 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

My guess, and I think that you recognize this as well, is that the reason TBS isn't carrying the Cardinals-Pirates game is that they anticipate it being a rating flop because of the early hour. It is underway now and it is only 10 am here on the west coast. Baseball at 10 am does not get watched by many people.
You appear to be agreeing with me that the playoff structure has been so bloated that it is impossible to maintain the requisite level of fan interest.

Every Sunday, most NFL games start at 10 am Pacific time. Somehow the poor downtrodden oppressed west coast fans learn to deal with it, ,since it has been a fact of life since the day they were born.

By the way, next Monday there are going to be four games, and somehow TBS is figuring out a way to carry the first game at 10:00 am PT. Which happens to be the Oakland game. Would west coast fans like them to reconsider, and scrap that game, too, because it is a nuisance to get up that early to watch it?

While we are on the subject of game start times, consider this. Today, both games are starting near 6 pm local time, which is a terrible sunfield in all ballparks this time of year.

The Boston game starts at 5:30 (5:30 local) and the Oakland game at 9.00 (6 pm local). They could have started the Oakland game at the usual day-game time of 2:00, and the Boston game at 8:30 (both normal game times) and be within a half hour of their desired 5:30 and 9:00 ET start times.

They are doing the same thing Tuesday, with a 4:30 start in Pittsburgh and a 5:00 start in Los Angeles. They could have exactly the same TV times with a 1:30 start in LA and a 8:00 start in Pittsburgh, so why is it so imperative that games start near 6-pm whenever possible?.

It's almost like they start out with the goal of maximizing the number of bad sunfield starts. Even though the sun penalizes both teams equally, it distracts from the principle that the games are decided on their merit, in conditions as close as possible to normal and ideal.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-05-2013 at 11:18 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 11:28 AM

jtur88

Quote:
Every Sunday, most NFL games start at 10 am Pacific time. Somehow the poor downtrodden oppressed west coast fans learn to deal with it, ,since it has been a fact of life since the day they were born.
My statement was that baseball isn't popular at 10 am, not football. Additionally, you are speaking of Sundays when people aren't obliged to work and in this particular situation we were speaking of a Friday morning.
Quote:
By the way, next Monday there are going to be four games, and somehow TBS is figuring out a way to carry the first game at 10:00 am PT. Which happens to be the Oakland game. Would west coast fans like them to reconsider, and scrap that game, too, because it is a nuisance to get up that early to watch it?
And exactly where did you develop the idea that I wanted the Cards-Pirates game scrapped? I wrote that it was not being carried on tv because TBS feared it would be a rating loser. From this you turn me into an advocate who is for boycotting morning games.

What is it that causes you to leap to such extremes so quickly?

Quote:
While we are on the subject of game start times, consider this. Today, both games are starting near 6 pm local time, which is a terrible sunfield in all ballparks this time of year.

The Boston game starts at 5:30 (5:30 local) and the Oakland game at 9.00 (6 pm local). They could have started the Oakland game at the usual day-game time of 2:00, and the Boston game at 8:30 (both normal game times) and be within a half hour of their desired 5:30 and 9:00 ET start times.
We have had this discussion before. The start times for post season games are staggered to maximize the number of tv viewers. TBS paid a huge chunk of money for the rights to air these games and in return gets the cooperation of MLB in setting their times to be congruent with maximizing viewership.

No matter how they did it, you would be unhappy and 100% focused on any inconvenience it was causing you, as though you were the only fan about whom MLB and TBS need concern themselves.

Last edited by Grandstander; 10-05-2013 at 11:45 AM..

Old 10-05-2013, 06:01 PM

So, the game was played at 1 pm eastern time, and a hundred or so 1 pm weekday games were played in MLB this season, with respectable gates, presumably attended by people who don't mind 1-pm or even noon baseball in the part of the country that doesn't happen to be the west coast. I can't imagine that TBS decided not to air a game played at a normal game time in the east, just because somebody in the bay area might yawn and go back to sleep, "as though you were the only fan about whom MLB and TBS need concern themselves". I didn't ask YOU to advocate for anything -- I asked if west coast fans would favor scrapping the game. Read my post. With comprehension.

It was YOU that justified not airing a 10-am game as an unpopular time on the west coast, and I simply asked you thought they would be justified in not airing the Oakland game on Monday at 10-am west coast time. Please explain the difference in the urgency of airing those two games at the same time of day on different weekdays. It's fine to air the Oakland game at 10-am for Oakland fans, but a "ratings disaster" to air the Pittsburgh game at 1 pm Pittsburgh time. What am I failing to understand?

Go back and read my post again, which should be easy, because you quoted it in your own post. I proposed that the two games be played at exactly the same air-times on Tuesday, but without forcing both of them to be played in 5 or 6 pm sunfields. but congruent with exactly the same air times for TBS, right to the second. Why didn't you understand that? Stop trying to make points by intentionally refusing to understand and respond to the point I made.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Stop trying to make points by intentionally refusing to understand and respond to the point I made.
Okay, I'll unintentionally refuse.

Old 10-05-2013, 10:59 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,697,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I understand that bars in St. Louis and Pittsburgh which have Dish Satellite (the only way to see MLB Network) are gouging customers for cover charges or bar minimums to come in and watch the games. I can only imagine what Pittsburgh fans are saying (I am not one of them, but I disgrunt on their behalf), after waiting a generation to get into post season, and then MLB tells them they can listen to the game on the radio.
huh? I watched Thursday's game from the comfort of my couch on MLB Network, which is carried widely in Pittsburgh via Verizon and Comcast.

And there are hundreds of bars are gouging anyone.

Btw, Wednesday's Cards/Pirates game soundly beat last year's Cards/Nats game ratings-wise.

For the WC game, early estimates note that 33% of all Pittsburgh homes with TVs watched.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
huh? I watched Thursday's game from the comfort of my couch on MLB Network, which is carried widely in Pittsburgh via Verizon and Comcast.

And there are hundreds of bars are gouging anyone.

Btw, Wednesday's Cards/Pirates game soundly beat last year's Cards/Nats game ratings-wise.

For the WC game, early estimates note that 33% of all Pittsburgh homes with TVs watched.
In that case, Pittsburgh is one of the few cities with MLB Network on cable. I understand from a story in the Post Dispatch that St. Louis has no cable provider carrying MLB Network, and the game could be seen there only on satellite providers, which are banned in nearly all rental properties. As for Comcast, the Houston Astros (and Rockets) have switched their telecasts to Comcast, so they can be seen on cable by less than half the population of Houston, and nobody at all outside Houston, even on mlb.tv, where they are blacked out in the whole state of Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball