Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2013, 12:51 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times

Advertisements

I'll take the Cardinals in 6. Aside from Lance Lynn and Joe Kelly in game 5 of the NLCS, the starting pitching has been phenomenal. Assuming Allen Craig rejoins the lineup for the World Series (reports yesterday said he was probably going to), that'll make a good Cardinals bench even stronger, and the Cards relievers may even be better than the starters which is saying something for how good they've been. I think starting in Boston actually helps them too:
Assuming Craig is back, Mike Matheny can ease him into the lineup, since they'll have an extra spot in the lineup at DH the first 2 games. Then back in St. Louis, whoever sits between Craig/Adams is a huge arsenal off the bench for the Cards. Of course the Red Sox have the same scenario with Napoli/Ortiz, except the only thing with them is if you start Ortiz you have to put up with his bad defense at first which could come into play. if John Farrell wants to get both in the lineup (Napoli came up as a catcher) you get 2 good bats in the lineup, but you sacrifice your bench AND your defense takes a hit as well. Will be interesting to see what Farrell does with Napoli/Ortiz when the series moves to St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 01:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
that'll make a good Cardinals bench even stronger,
Without Craig, they have a terrible bench, with a grand total of 444 career hits and 17 homers, more than half of those by Descalso, less than 200 hits career by Robinson, Chambers, Wong, Cruz..

Those five (excluding Craig/Adams) batted .189 in appearances in games they did not start. Wainwright, Kelly, Wacha and Westrbook batted .182. Cards pinch-hitting, including Craig/Adams and occasional trips by regulars, batted .201 (MLB average .217).

Last edited by jtur88; 10-22-2013 at 01:38 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 08:00 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
I just hope the series isn't as pitching-dominated as the playoffs. It gets tiresome watching people swing at splitters in the dirt, AB after AB. I haven't seen so many o-fers since the Dodgers in 1966.

Two storied franchises -- with real fans -- are in action. No Devil-snakes, Death-Ray-Tarpons or whatever, with their empty seats. The spirits of Yaz and Slaughter, Gibby and The Kid, Pesky and The Man, all in time for Halloween!

And hey, the Yankees and their spoiled, insufferable fans are absent. So we can all be grateful.

Sox in seven. Unless of course that kid pitcher for the Cards stays as crazy good as he showed in the NLCS --- in which case, it's tears on the pillows of Beantown...

Old 10-23-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I just hope the series isn't as pitching-dominated as the playoffs. It gets tiresome watching people swing at splitters in the dirt, AB after AB. I haven't seen so many o-fers since the Dodgers in 1966.

Two storied franchises -- with real fans -- are in action. No Devil-snakes, Death-Ray-Tarpons or whatever, with their empty seats. The spirits of Yaz and Slaughter, Gibby and The Kid, Pesky and The Man, all in time for Halloween!

And hey, the Yankees and their spoiled, insufferable fans are absent. So we can all be grateful.

Sox in seven. Unless of course that kid pitcher for the Cards stays as crazy good as he showed in the NLCS --- in which case, it's tears on the pillows of Beantown...
I can't see Waacha and Wainwright being any more formidable than Verlander and Scherzer, and the Sox won all three of their starts.

Here are the WS rosters. Cards add Crais, replacing Chambers.

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/10/...ed-sox-rosters

There is no way Mujica is going to get into a game unless it's a blowout, I'd rather drop him and keep Chambers, you can certainly go with one or two fewer pitchers, with two open dates.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-23-2013 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 03:49 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,327,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Yeah, the ALCS was ridiculous, the Red Sox struck out 17, 15, 11, 10, 8, 12 times in the six games. It's almost as if they were swinging ramen noodles everytime they came to bat

Old 10-23-2013, 05:34 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,638 times
can't watch baseball on FOX. Can't do it. F*** Joe Buck.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:42 PM

I knew Wainwright was in trouble the minute he walked the leadoff man. Wainwright doesn't walk anybody. He went ahead and got the double play ball to get him out of the inning, but it didn't happen.

Now, of the first seven playable balls, the Cards defense has only converted three of them..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
can't watch baseball on FOX. Can't do it. F*** Joe Buck.
Check your cable listing for Fox Deportes. It's a different video feed, with not so many camera shots of the crowd, dugout, etc. and no onscreen ads of promos. And you get relief from the same old commercials youve seen a million times.

Joe Buck grew up in St. Louis, I don't know why he hates St. Louis so much. Bui he is doing a better job of hiding the fact that he also hates baseball.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-23-2013 at 07:08 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 06:58 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Some mental errors are costing St. Louis.

The dropped ball on the double play was one. The miscommunication on the dropped ball with Molina and Wainright was another.

Tim McCarver remarked "it is uncharacteristic for the Cardinals club to be making mental errors like this so early here."

Yep, I'd say so.

And yes, the umpires had to save face on the reversal on that double play ball.

ADD>>>>What a catch by Beltran!! WHOA!!

Old 10-23-2013, 07:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

The dropped ball on the double play was one. The miscommunication on the dropped ball with Molina and Wainright was another.

Tim McCarver remarked "it is uncharacteristic for the Cardinals club to be making mental errors like this so early here."

Yep, I'd say so.

With all the camera angles and stop motion replay available on the television broadcast, the umpiring crews are less informed and less qualified to call the plays than any fan sitting at home watching.

Given the potential for having one's mistakes in judgment proven to the audience on a fairly immediate basis, if I was an umpire I would hire someone to sit in the stands communicating by telephone with someone watching the broadcast, and have that person relay a signal to me from the stands which reveals what the replay showed. Maybe they are already doing it.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:20 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post

Yep, I'd say so.

Too bad Beltran had to leave the game due to injury on that catch!

Cardinals are getting caged.....even Steven Drew got on based and scored despite being 3 for 35!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball