U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM

6,579 posts, read 4,535,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Ditto. At least assuming the next guy is any better. Quite fitting that Selig's initials are B.S.

The first of the B.S. "innovations" I'd like to see dropped would be this ridiculous wild card play-in. You can't fairly decide anything in baseball on the basis of one game.

Grandstander, you make a good point about the differences in commissioners in different eras. Maybe the owners do need some support to counter the power of the players' union, though I do agree that the fans seem to have been forgotten in the jockeying between players and owners during the Selig era.

My biggest complaint about Selig, though, has to do with my somewhat sarcastic comment above, about all his "innovations." There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the changes Selig has brought. He impresses me as a guy who might have a big ego which he wants to flatter by viewing himself as some kind of great innovator and/or someone who just likes change for its own sake. Try a little of this and a little of that. Gee, isn't this neat!

Some of the changes are probably good. For example, I prefer the eight-team playoff format to the four-team arrangement that preceded it, because you're less likely to have an undeserving team like (in my opinion) the '87 Twins lead a charmed existence for three rounds than for two, and end up being the official champions. It's the haphazard, little-of-this-little-of-that approach to change that needs to, well, change.

Agree 1,000%. They need to either drop the 2nd wildcard OR make that wildcard playoff a best of 3 series. Best of 3 series still have theirs flaws mind you, but at least it's 12 million times better then deciding the field on a single game where anything can happen. I'd also like to see the division series move from best of 5 to best of 7, but I'd like to see the wildcard changes first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 06:26 PM

3,682 posts, read 2,351,710 times
My ideal MLB playoff is based on the NFL system, 6 teams per conference. 3 vs 6 and 4 vs 5 for 3 game mid week series, 3 nights in a row with the home field going to the best record, the 1 and 2 teams get a series bye. The weekend after the end of regular season would be winner of 3/6 vs 1, winner of 4/5 vs 2 for 5 games with 1 and 2 having home field, next week the respective winners in a 5 game playing to get into the WS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or