U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Robinson Cano - Is he (or anyone) worth $300M / 10 Years?
Yes, he is worth it and so are players of his ilk. 2 5.71%
No, baseball players are not worth that much. 33 94.29%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 12:28 PM

20,942 posts, read 39,298,447 times

Advertisements

Story in the media about Robinson Cano asking the Yankees for a $300M contract for 10 years. When I first saw that story I did one of these and thought "oh no, not again, not another A-Rod situation."

All players decline as they get into their mid-to-late 30s as seen in the stats of 40-year old future hall of famer Todd Helton whose is a lifetime .317 hitter (even at age 40) with a salary of only $6M/year.

Robinson Cano is a great ball player subject to the same ravages of time and injury as a Todd Helton; he's a lifetime .309 hitter and after the next ten years take their toll he may well end up with a lifetime batting average below .300 or below Helton's, though it could be higher.

So, is Cano worth $30M/year? Might be to an egomaniac team owner who has to win at all costs.

Is anyone worth that? Not in my opinion, but we aren't billionaires with huge egos to be stroked.

Cano was born October 22, 1982 and is 30 years old as I write this; he'll be 31 when the 2014 season opens. I see how A-Rod has declined in recent years and how the Yankees are paying his enormous salary ($29M/year) for what is now average performance (a .244 hitter now, lifetime .299) and think that paying Cano $30M/year is rather foolish. The Yankees now pay Cano $15M/year and don't seem interested in doubling that amount.

IMO the money game for players salaries is ridiculous. We recently paid $250 for two decent seats to a Dodger's game and though we could afford that amount a couple times per month but I just will not let myself spend that kind of money to see a game that I can get for "free" on my basic cable service.

Make your feelings known by voting in the poll and/or commenting here.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 09-27-2013 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 12:44 PM

41,383 posts, read 18,667,604 times
With the exception of the Dodgers who do not seem to care how much they spend on anyone, I cannot imagine any team signing Cano to the contract he says that he wants. We are presently awash in examples of the calamity which follows signing guys who are 30 or older to lengthy contracts. The Giants will finally be getting out from under the 7 year, 120 million dollar contract they gave to Barry Zito so that Giant fans could enjoy his decline. I suspect the Angels are pretty unhappy with the thought of paying Albert Pujols 25 million a year for the next nine years as he plays less and performs worse each season, nor can they be doing cartwheels over their five year deal with Josh Hamilton. And of course we have the Arod deal as the prime example of how wishful thinking can backfire on a club.

Anyone signing Cano to a contract longer than five years is going to be paying him for what he did as a Yankee, not what he will be doing for them. It isn't that Cano would not be huge asset to whichever team he winds up with, it is that he cannot be a cost effective asset.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:01 PM

20,942 posts, read 39,298,447 times
Agree, well said. I was of the same thinking but haven't followed baseball as closely as yourself and others.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-27-2013, 01:09 PM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,929,714 times
Doesn't matter to me what they pay players. The teams have already priced me out of paying for a seat.

That also goes for football
Basketball
NASCAR

Old 09-27-2013, 01:34 PM

186 posts, read 265,725 times
The Yankees would be foolish to pay Cano 300 million for 10 years, especially when you consider how much they're paying A-Rod now that he's in serious decline (and probably won't be playing for 211 games or so). If Cano thinks he's worth 30 million a year, the Yankees should give him a 5 year deal so they're overpaying for his most productive years rather than paying for his declining years.

Of course, that won't happen because it just takes one team overbidding for a player to throw things out of whack.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:21 PM

6,567 posts, read 4,524,306 times
If he was 22 years old AND was a Mike Trout clone then I'd give him 30 million a year. You don't give anyone over 28 10 year contracts, period.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,968,726 times
I attended a couple M's game at Safeco Field in April... paid about $60 for 2 seats then another $30 for food and drinks.. (we shared a bottomless Pepsi for only $9.75)

No interest in going to any other games this year... for one thing they are horrible and at $100 a game I'll watch the ESPN highlights instead.

$30 million? LOL Nobody is worth that.

Old 09-27-2013, 03:09 PM

11,451 posts, read 6,454,872 times
Cano? 30 million a year?

I love the way Cano plays, but if he wants 30 million then he can go his own way

Old 09-27-2013, 07:09 PM

6,847 posts, read 7,918,096 times
[quote=Mike from back east;31578772]
Quote:
So, is Cano worth $30M/year? Is anyone worth that?
No..... And No again. These salaries should be considered obscene by any individual in a hard working blue collar family. What's wrong with the $15 million a year he's making now? Where does it end?

Quote:
IMO the money game for players salaries is ridiculous. We recently paid $250 for two decent seats to a Dodger's game and though we could afford that amount a couple times per month but I just will not let myself spend that kind of money to see a game that I can get for "free" on my basic cable service.

I grew up less than 10 miles from Dodger Stadium. I had the priveledge to go to many games when I was younger. My parents could afford it on a lower than average household income living in North Glendale. It doesn't seem that long ago when you could take a family of four to the game, pay for parking, AND get peanuts, cracker jacks, and soda for about $100....TOTAL! Granted, the seats were up there a ways, but who cares, right? It was fun. It was a day at the ballpark. Then again, gas to get to the game was about $.98/gallon at ARCO as well. Too bad a working man's salary doesn't increase at anywhere near the same rate. But what would those pro players and owners know about that kind of nonsense, right?...... They live in a different world, far removed from us common folk.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM

41,383 posts, read 18,667,604 times
Default Inability To Admit Mistake: # 39,452

I mentioned the Barry Zito contract among the cruddier deals of recent times. Just now on the Giants pre game show they had an interview with GM Brian Sabean who was asked his thoughts on the departing Zito. Sabean claimed that he had "no regrets" at all about the signing. Then he provided a bunch if bullbleep about what a fine gentleman Zito was and how well he had represented the organization, great teammate, everything except the fact that for his 126 million he went 63-80, 4.62 over seven years. In five of those seasons he produced negative WAR.

But Sabean doesn't regret those numbers, all those intangibles were easily worth 126 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or