U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,715 posts, read 9,540,792 times
Reputation: 1393

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Football (and most other team sports)=checkers
Baseball=chess

Sometimes a simple game of checkers is all you want. It's easy to understand, and the payoff is immediate. You really don't to have to think to an in-depth degree, and the strategy is generally short-term.

Chess is far more complex. Things you do early in the game are premeditated set-ups for a later advantage on the way to a win. Those who understand chess, are never bored by the intricate strategies of the game.

Many people don't understand chess--or baseball.
Totally wrong. Baseball is like more like a slot machine. You get lucky sometimes--sometimes you don't. Football on the other hand = chess. There is so much stragedy that goes into the game a week before the game is even played.

With baseball it's all about hot and cold streaks. The worst baseball team in the MLB can easily defeat the best the team. You can't say that about football.

 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:08 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
41,141 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Reputation: 18740
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post

With baseball it's all about hot and cold streaks. The worst baseball team in the MLB can easily defeat the best the team. You can't say that about football.
You could if the sampling sizes were the same. Baseball teams play 162 games, football teams play 16. Weaker baseball teams win more often than do weak football teams because they have more opportunities to do so, not because of anything having to do with streaks.
 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:39 PM
 
101 posts, read 143,547 times
Reputation: 191
Baseball is a totally unique sport. It's the only game where you don't have two teams protecting a goal and trying to score on the other teams goal. The only sport where the defense controls the object of play. The only sport where there is no clock or time limit. A game could last 100 innings.
Baseball is a pastoral sport, made for relaxing and contemplation. True intellectuals enjoy it - Steven Jay Gould (unfortunatly passed away) and George Will (good at baseball, not too good on politics.) A hundred things could happen each at bat. Football has a limit of two things that can happen each play. A true sport for scholars.
 
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 PM
 
1,496 posts, read 1,502,572 times
Reputation: 1212
baseball is not boring. I actually find basketball to be very boring. It's so easy to score there's no real excitement when a team makes a basket. The only excitement in basketball comes in the last 2 minutes.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:50 PM
 
Location: The city of champions
1,830 posts, read 1,701,447 times
Reputation: 1322
Baseball simply doesn't market it's stars very well, thus the casual fan won't be as interested. There isn't the same drama with stars and teams that you'll see in the NBA or NFL.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,715 posts, read 9,540,792 times
Reputation: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
baseball is not boring. I actually find basketball to be very boring. It's so easy to score there's no real excitement when a team makes a basket. The only excitement in basketball comes in the last 2 minutes.
Yeah basketball is worse especially when you got these giant men and to make a basket all they have to do is drop it in like dropping a banana peel into a waste basket.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Currently living in Reddit
5,655 posts, read 5,707,363 times
Reputation: 7280
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Totally wrong. Baseball is like more like a slot machine. You get lucky sometimes--sometimes you don't. Football on the other hand = chess. There is so much stragedy that goes into the game a week before the game is even played.

With baseball it's all about hot and cold streaks. The worst baseball team in the MLB can easily defeat the best the team. You can't say that about football.
This is so laughable it's beyond laughable.

Football is about a QB and a defensive system. The system rarely changes. You rarely see 3-4s turn into 4-3s or man-to-man teams switch to zone. You don't have that many in-game adjustments. If there's chess going on, it's always the same scripted moves. Which isn't master level chess. There are exceptions, like Peyton and Brady and Belichik. But it's become a really a boring game for people who like to see people hit other people and hurt them. And who love "analysts" who's job isn't to analyze but only to raise their decibel levels above the next guy's while pointing out the obvious. All while selling tasteless light beer to morons who don't care that it's tasteless because all they're interested in is pounding 'em so they can go off and hit more people, with fists or cars.

Like I said earlier, I used to be a fan. The rule changes to nullify defense, the use of steroids to create unnatural behemoths, the overproduction by TV and the basic idiocy of so many players has ruined the game for me. YMMV.

Doubt I'll be going back.

Baseball remains unique. And beautiful.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 03:10 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,715 posts, read 9,540,792 times
Reputation: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
This is so laughable it's beyond laughable.

Football is about a QB and a defensive system. The system rarely changes. You rarely see 3-4s turn into 4-3s or man-to-man teams switch to zone. You don't have that many in-game adjustments. If there's chess going on, it's always the same scripted moves. Which isn't master level chess. There are exceptions, like Peyton and Brady and Belichik. But it's become a really a boring game for people who like to see people hit other people and hurt them. And who love "analysts" who's job isn't to analyze but only to raise their decibel levels above the next guy's while pointing out the obvious. All while selling tasteless light beer to morons who don't care that it's tasteless because all they're interested in is pounding 'em so they can go off and hit more people, with fists or cars.

Like I said earlier, I used to be a fan. The rule changes to nullify defense, the use of steroids to create unnatural behemoths, the overproduction by TV and the basic idiocy of so many players has ruined the game for me. YMMV.

Doubt I'll be going back.

Baseball remains unique. And beautiful.
Thanks for your thoughts.
 
Old 10-02-2013, 07:19 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,836 posts, read 19,589,048 times
Reputation: 4436
Here is something for the simpleton football fan to consider, there is more scoring in baseball than in football.
 
Old 10-04-2013, 07:57 AM
PDD
 
Location: The Sand Hills of NC
8,774 posts, read 14,888,814 times
Reputation: 11886
I wonder if the OP goes on all the other sports forums where he does not understand the sport and tries to convince fans that he knows better.

Sounds like a loser to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top