U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:13 AM

5,655 posts, read 5,700,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
I agree. It's boring.

Nothing happens 90% of the time.

How the hell are people calling basketball boring?

Every possession can create amazing plays. From Crossovers, passes, three pointers, lay ups, dunks, alley oops, field goals, fakes, blocks, steals, fast breaks, etc.

Baseball it's just. Strike, hit, foul, HR... and it takes 10 minutes to accomplish it.
Hard to take scoring seriously in a game where 100 points is the norm and so few teams play anything resembling tight defense. NBA deserves its reputation as "only worth watching for the last two minutes of the game."

I used to play. Was a decent passer and rebounder. I appreciate things like court vision and positioning - solid fundamentals stuff. Not a fan of the playground game focused on "Top 10 Dunks". That's for the kids.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:15 AM

7,835 posts, read 19,570,106 times
Why Is Baseball So Much Better Than Football? by Thomas Boswell

Football, because of its self-importance, minimizes a sense of humor. Baseball cultivates one. Knowing you'll lose at least 60 games every season makes self-deprecation a survival tool. As Casey Stengel said to his barber, "Don't cut my throat. I may want to do that myself later."

Baseball nicknames go on forever - because we feel we know so many players intimately. Football monikers run out fast. We just don't know that many of them as people.

A typical baseball game has nine runs, more than 250 pitches and about 80 completed plays — hits, walks, outs — in 2 hours. A typical football game has about five touchdowns, a couple of field goals and fewer than 150 plays spread over three hours. Of those plays, perhaps 20 or 25 result in a gain or loss of more than 10 yards. Baseball has more scoring plays, more serious scoring threats and more meaningful action plays.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:33 AM

22,511 posts, read 11,593,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Hard to take scoring seriously in a game where 100 points is the norm and so few teams play anything resembling tight defense. NBA deserves its reputation as "only worth watching for the last two minutes of the game."

I used to play. Was a decent passer and rebounder. I appreciate things like court vision and positioning - solid fundamentals stuff. Not a fan of the playground game focused on "Top 10 Dunks". That's for the kids.
Yes, I much prefer NCAA basketball.

Baseball truly is the thinking man's game. Not for the instant gratification generation.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:34 PM

3,569 posts, read 6,019,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post

Yeah okay.

So fun watching a game where watching a guy miss hitting a ball 90 times is a great feat.
Or when there are no runs in the bottom of the 9th. The guy makes a run.
That's it. Nothing more. The game is won. Where is the excitement?

Old 10-23-2013, 10:36 PM

4,749 posts, read 3,608,655 times
After tonight, I'd say that the Cardinals are why baseball's boring -- and that's coming from a lifelong Cardinals fan. What a horrible, horrible performance.

Congrats, Red Sox: 2013 World Champions.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:30 PM

804 posts, read 1,377,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alacran View Post
Yeah okay.

So fun watching a game where watching a guy miss hitting a ball 90 times is a great feat.
Or when there are no runs in the bottom of the 9th. The guy makes a run.
That's it. Nothing more. The game is won. Where is the excitement?
"The guy makes a run." On a scale of 1-10, your credibility is a 0.5. Don't comment on a sport you know NOTHING about

Old 10-29-2013, 07:59 AM

3,569 posts, read 6,019,619 times
I know everything about baseball.

Have fun watching a game where 90% of the players stand around for 90% of the game.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:07 AM

10,425 posts, read 8,782,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I think I'd rather look at a wall

India Vs Sri Lanka Cricket match clip2 - YouTube Maybe this would be more exciting.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:11 AM

11,833 posts, read 8,248,706 times
My wife who is foreign doesn't know anything about baseball and I have been trying to teach her during the world series but she thinks it is boring. last night bottom of the 9th I said to her "only 3 more outs and the sox win." 1 out 2 outs and the ball is hit to right field and caught, I clap and she is like "what just happened?" THE SOX WON! OH she said. I have been trying to get her into Patriots football so I think she is used to time running out in a game and doesn't get the concept that baseball can go on and on. Baseball can be a bit dull compared to football, fast paced hockey and basketball but baseball is a great game to watch and play in the heat of the Summer.

Old 10-29-2013, 04:15 PM

5,296 posts, read 2,693,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
I think I'd rather look at a wall
Two words. Tim McCarver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or