U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2013, 08:34 PM

7,866 posts, read 19,675,450 times

Advertisements

Okay you have to watch the whole sequence, if you have MLB.TV you can go back and watch the whole 9ts inning. This clip provides a lot of the action but not the whole 9th inning. If you watch the 9th it seems as if they are walking guys on purpose not obvious but to the trained eye, so many passed balls and then what I deem the money shot to me it appears the catcher closes his glove a split second before the ball and almost turning his glove away allowing the ball to pass. Early a passed ball and a lazy effort by the catcher allows two men on 1st and 2nd to advance setting up another walk and then another passed ball. I smell something here. Either even if Detroit did give up the no hitter on purpose is there anything wrong with it? You can even see the infielders just basically standing and not ready at all. I think Jim L gave it up on purpose.

Top Pitching Performances | DET@MIA: Alvarez tosses a no-hitter vs. the Tigers - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 10:47 PM

6,593 posts, read 4,555,386 times
I didn't watch the game, or see any highlights so I can't comment on the game. Some thoughts thought:

1) It's the last game of the year. Detroit wants to head home for a couple days before flying out to Oakland Tuesday or Wednesday. You really think they wanted to play a 10, 12, 13 inning or longer game the last day of the regular season?? I sure as hell don't
2) Since it was the final day and neither was playing for anything (Detroit was already locked into the 3rd spot and had their opponent already decided), it was basically a glorified spring training game. If this game had meant something, I doubt Jim Leyland pulls Verlander after the 6th in a 0-0 game. Also, would have managed his relievers. Brought in Fister and Porcello in relief to give them some work, no idea who pitched the 9th. Fielder got taken out after his first AB, Cabrera, Hunter, Martinez & Avilla all did not start, and all but Avilla had a DNP. I'm sure if Leyland and or Detroit cared about winning the game/getting a hit, I'm sure they would've done it. Look at the box score of the Tigers lineup, it looks like a lineup they'd put out for their final spring training game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball