U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 06:04 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,155,973 times

Advertisements

No, you came up with 80+ names on the Mitchell report that MAY or MAY NOT have had illegal use of PED's. Remember that little stickler phrase right at the beginning of the report that states "inclusion of a name does NOT mean illegal activity had taken place." You came up with 80 MAYBE's, not 80+ illegal users of PED's. I haven't changed the point of discussion one iota, I have asked you for proof of your claims is all.

Did you even bother to read the links. There is FAR more names in other sports than Lance Armstrong, he just happens to be the one that pushed the World of cycling into tighter testing and regulation, as I stated.

You still haven't answered the most important questions though.
Do you hold ALL professional sports at the same level of disdain as you do MLB? They ALL have a problem with PED usage. MLB just happens to be the one that tests more regularly and is more open about the punishments handed down for those caught.

Why doesn't the most popular sport in the USA even fully test for PED usage? By their own admission the NFL doesn't even use tests that can detect HGH usage, the most commonly abused group of substances. Plus they are reducing the penalty if caught with the MOST common PED that is used that can be detected through urine testing. Where is your righteous indignation over that?

You hate baseball, and that is what your little rant is all about. I am done with you. You don't care that other sports don't even bother testing their "athletes" for HGH and other PED usage. You seem bent on vilifying the one major sport in the US that is taking a very public and stringent stand against the use of PED's in the sport. If that is so appalling to you, then one can ONLY draw the conclusion that you rather like the idea of so called athletes being hopped up before a game and MBL's stand against that is against your view of how sports should be played.

As for the HOF balloting... I would HOPE they are miffed at players who used PED's to gain an upper hand. I don't think any of the ones caught should EVER be allowed in the HOF or even allowed on the ballot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 11:55 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,055,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I look on at baseball and where are the Ripkins? Gerhigs?

We have a host of PED abusers, liars, Clemens & Bonds (nuff said) and even once likeable Sammy Sosa doesn't like being so black and is skin bleaching.

I look at how MLB has been run the last 20-30 years compared to NFL, NBA etc. and even the NHL has been better run.
You don't think people in the NBA and the MLB are using steriods? Really? I didn't think you were that naive

Last edited by jdm2008; 10-29-2013 at 12:04 AM..

Old 10-29-2013, 12:02 AM

4,399 posts, read 9,055,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Either the case will be settled out of court, dismissed outright by the judge, or dropped by Rodriguez before it can get to court. The reason is that Rodriguez cannot afford to have himself cross examined under oath. He would be asked straight forward questions about his PEDs use and be faced with a choice of admission, or lying under oath for which he would be liable to perjury prosecution. If he admits to everything, he has sunk his "damaged reputation" case. If he lies, he risks a perjury arrest and trial.

R
one
What makes you think he even cares if he has to admit he used steroids under oath. Everyone knows he took them. And you are incorrect about this "choice" he can take the fifth.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM

40,905 posts, read 18,562,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
one
What makes you think he even cares if he has to admit he used steroids under oath. Everyone knows he took them. And you are incorrect about this "choice" he can take the fifth.
Why do I think someone, Rodriguez or anyone else, would be concerned about having to serve time in prison on a perjury charge?

Gosh, can't think of a reason.

And, no, you cannot "take the fifth" in a civil lawsuit trial and still expect to win. The Fifth Amendment protections are against self incrimination in a criminal trial. If you, as Rodriguez has done here, initiate a civil lawsuit, and then get up on the stand and refuse to answer questions, you have sunk your own lawsuit. If Rodriguez takes the stand and testifies, then he is subject to cross examination and is required by law to tell the truth.

Last edited by Grandstander; 10-29-2013 at 07:25 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 AM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
You don't think people in the NBA and the MLB are using steriods? Really? I didn't think you were that naive

Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 AM

Default Cranking Up The Hypocrisy Levels

Alex Rodriguez isn't battling MLB to save his career, or to save his multi million dollar contract, or to save his reputation. Know why he is conducting this courageous fight?
Quote:
To be sure, this fight is necessary to protect me, but it also serves the interests of the next 18-year-old coming into the league, to be sure he doesn't step into the house of horrors that I am being forced to walk through."
Rob Manfred fires back at Alex Rodriguez of New York Yankees - ESPN New York

This is straight out of the Lance Armstrong school of "When in trouble, go on the pr attack road" which I outlined in my post about the PEDs culture.

It makes one weep to see brave Arod struggling against the evil forces of those out to persecute him, especially when we know Alex is doing it for the kids of tomorrow.

I'd ask how Rodriguez's attorneys live with themselves, dishing out this zero credibility crap day after day, but we all know the an$wer to that.

Meanwhile we salute the brave and heroic stance of Rodriguez, concerned only for the next 18 year old who wants to make millions of dollars cheating his way through a professional athletic career.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:51 PM

20,902 posts, read 39,174,026 times
IMO, baseball should be suing A-Rod for his having damaged the reputation of the national pastime.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 11-01-2013 at 01:03 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 08:30 AM

16,524 posts, read 20,969,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
IMO, baseball should be suing A-Rod for his having damaged the reputation of the national pastime.

YES!!!

Old 11-03-2013, 10:59 AM

51,912 posts, read 41,783,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
That's kinda what I was getting at.

Many of the biggest names in baseball have done nothing short of take a giant dump on MLB.

Instead of building the league like many of the past greats, we have the likes of Bonds, A-rod, Clemens and even now-white Sammy Sosa.

Imagine switching the personalities of Bonds with Michael Jordan and where both leagues would be today.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:23 AM

As I predicted in post # 6 above, Alex Rodriguez is going to have to avoid providing any sworn testimony in either his defamation of character suit against MLB. We are getting a preview of his awkward position...
"Sick" Alex Rodriguez won't interview
Quote:
NEW YORK -- Alex Rodriguez will not appear for an investigatory interview with Major League Baseball investigators Friday in Manhattan and might choose not to testify at all before arbitrator Fredric Horowitz in his appeal of the 211-game suspension handed down by the league in August for alleged performance-enhancing drug violations.

According to a source, Rodriguez is suffering from flu-like symptoms and was advised by a doctor in Los Angeles, where he has been since Tuesday, not to fly to New York.

"The guy really wants to testify," the source told ESPNNewYork.com on Thursday night. "He's dying to tell his side of the story. But his head is all clogged up right now."
Alex Rodriguez (flu) will not interview with MLB on Friday - ESPN New York

Right...he really wants to testify, but he just can't shake that cold. What sort of cold could this be that he is also contemplating not testifying next week or next month as well?

I despise this sort of transparent lying, it is an insult that these people think I would believe any of it for even a single second. Rodriguez absolutely cannot afford to endure a cross examination under conditions of taking a legal oath. He would have to answer direct questions about his PEDs use and if he tells the truth, his career is over. If he lies, he is subject to prosecution for perjury.

Quite a dilemma, enough to cause a really bad cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or